News & politics

Oooh. How the other half live!

(65 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 16-May-17 13:24:54

Maybe this should be under House and Home! grin

£100,000?? to rent it? shock

It's bigger than their flippin' house.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-May-17 20:22:45

I don't think it was 'vulgar' but it did cost a vast sum - but that vast sum is presumably in proportion to their parents' incomes!

And if the Middletons are rich I am not going to feel envy or begrudge them because they are an ordinary couple; it's just that she had a good idea and started a business at her kitchen table which has proved to be a very lucrative money-spinner. They still live in the UK, presumably pay all their taxes, give employment to others.

I wish I'd had a good idea like that too!

Norah Wed 24-May-17 16:13:30

gilly maybe a big fancy do is something like her sister's wedding. grin

shysal Wed 24-May-17 15:09:59

The best wedding I ever went to was a Church ceremony followed by a bulk delivery of fish and chips from the local chippy to the Village Hall. The bride looked stunning in a pretty off-the-peg summer dress. A happy, relaxed time was had by all and it was memorable.

I am another who thinks Pippa's 'do' was vulgar and an obscene waste of money.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-May-17 14:57:37

DS and DDIL had a relaxed country wedding as well - for a fraction of the cost!
Everyone had a great time.

gillybob Wed 24-May-17 14:08:34

Jeez Penstemmon if that was a ‘relaxed’ country wedding I wonder what a big fancy affair would have looked like?

Penstemmon Wed 24-May-17 13:51:44

"Pippa, a former party planner, has decreed that her big day should have a ‘relaxed’ country wedding feel" grin

Is that what you call it!! We had one of those for my DD1..it wasn't quite the same!

gillybob Wed 24-May-17 13:12:59

So they pay for flitting about in helicopters, security to attend parties, the cars, rent, council tax, clothes, food, heating bills etc. themselves out of their personal money do they Magrithea ?

hmm

Conni7 Wed 24-May-17 12:07:04

Think of all the jobs they are providing with such a lavish wedding. "It is the duty of the wealthy man to give employment to the artisan" was quoted to Prince Charles when he tried to cut down a tree, and hurt himself.

annsixty Wed 17-May-17 19:30:13

When William married Kate there were some tv programmes which explored her rather humble beginnings. Nothing wrong with that I have the humblest beginnings myself.
One of her mother's cousins who still lived in the North East said of her Aunt, Carole's mother and Kate's GM, " Aunty X always wanted to be the top brick in the chimney" It seems her family follow her philosophy.

Nanna58 Wed 17-May-17 19:04:28

Given her dire catering advice before she got kicked off the Waitrose magazine, god help the guests if she's had any input in the food being served!

1974cookie Wed 17-May-17 17:45:51

Like many Gransnetters, my first thought was heaven help them all if the sun is shining !?
Even when the sun is weak, a glass house will get incredibly hot even if vented. Add to that the amount of body heat that will be generated by everyone, alcohol consumed ( which is dehydrating ), and you will have a major problem. Hopefully, at that price, there will be A/C, if not, they will need a lot of First Aiders.

Candelle Wed 17-May-17 17:15:28

At the end of the day, two people are marrying.

They can afford the rather eye-watering sums (as shown by our beloved press), so let's wish them a wonderful day and hope the sun shines or at least, the rain stops!

Our views are just that, our views, so let them have and express theirs. It's not our wedding!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 17-May-17 17:01:00

Teetime would you want for your girls what the Middleton girls have.Does money, fame, appearing you have it all always buy happinss.Time tells.Things have changed since our mums were girls but how many marriages 21C will last 30 years let alone sixty.sad

lizzypopbottle Wed 17-May-17 16:45:21

Does PM have a disclaimer attached to her wedding advice? The trouble with an eye wateringly expensive venue is that ordinary people borrow tens of thousands of pounds and are in debt for years afterwards. They often live together for a time before marrying so after their eye wateringly expensive wedding and honeymoon they come home to their mundane life with a bump. I know of one couple whose £30,000 wedding debt lasted longer than the marriage and had to be written into the divorce settlement. I'd be very surprised if they were unique!

hazel311259 Wed 17-May-17 16:39:46

Don't think that cost comes into it how much money have the royal family generated for UK economy makes us special!

Persistentdonor Wed 17-May-17 15:56:31

They can afford it so why not? Good luck to them. At that cost I expect the glass is polarised to keep out glare. Good luck to them.

However, seems to me they would not miss a bit extra on their tax bill!

Gaggi3 Wed 17-May-17 14:29:06

Fine if you like eating in a greenhouse, and being very warm. I wonder if everyone will be taller after the event.

VIOLETTE Wed 17-May-17 14:28:25

Ha ha ! could be a paragraph straight from Pippa M's party book for Waitrose ....'If you are planning a wedding, make sure you have the most eye wateringly expensive venue you can afford ,,,and Waitrose do a nice line in cakes and sandwiches' ....or as Dolly Parton famously said ' It takes a whole lotta money to look this cheap ......'

Just think its funny ..and nobody else's business really ! smile

merlotgran Wed 17-May-17 14:22:06

Do NOT click on this link if a mere mention of the DM gives you a fit of the vapours!

Clock the Portaloos grin

Gemmag Wed 17-May-17 14:20:15

Such a lot of envy. She's not counting the pennies and why should she!.
I hope she and all her guests have a lovely day.
I look forward to seeing some nice photos in the DT next week.

Teddy123 Wed 17-May-17 13:58:52

Ps I thought the orangery was very pretty and guess it will be decked out with a lot of fabric to keep the sun out.

Teddy123 Wed 17-May-17 13:56:45

The bride has, according to the newspapers, has joined a 'leg' gym, subscription, wait for it ..............
£50,000.

Personally and I swear I'm not being bitchy, I think she's a plain young woman with a horsey face. I really couldn't understand the furore over her bottom ...... Looked normal.

I wonder if the wedding pics will be sold to OK magazine.

whitewave Wed 17-May-17 13:46:26

Not the most tasteful thing I've ever seen, but perhaps the photo doesn't do it justice.

lizzypopbottle Wed 17-May-17 13:41:55

Probably just as well.... ?

lizzypopbottle Wed 17-May-17 13:38:23

It's ugly on an industrial scale but that's from the outside. It'll be made sumptuous on the inside, I dare say, and the people in there will have other things to worry about, especially if the sun shines. All the indoor photos will have everyone wearing sunglasses or squinting!

I thought Pippa Middleton looked pretty and feminine at the royal wedding six years ago but these days she's looking rather drawn and thin in some of the less flattering media photos. I suppose in these days of radical feminism, it doesn't matter what you look like. Her pursuit of extreme physical activity is bound to have an effect on her looks and it must be tiresome to be watched constantly. I count myself lucky that I don't feel the need to dress for public scrutiny.