Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dementia Tax

(24 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-May-17 10:16:35

I have just posted this on my FB page but hope some of you can post it on yours sharing the link at the bottom - or just sign yourself if you can.

Dementia Tax
This tax will fall mainly on the huge number who will get dementia and other mental illness and those with long term degenerative disease.
Although it has been suggested everyone will keep £100,000 they have said this is protected against 'care' costs but it may be used against accommodation costs so people could end up with nothing.
A rich Cancer patient has his costs paid by each and all of us - quite rightly - so why are we asking those who have contributed all their lives to shoulder this burden by themselves?
Please sign if you feel able to and let the Conservatives know that they must look at this again and please share this post.

dementiatax.org.uk/

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 10:23:45

Done and sent to friends who are also peeved

GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-May-17 10:25:56

smile

goldengirl Mon 22-May-17 10:46:14

Signed

trisher Mon 22-May-17 10:49:59

Signed and shared GGMk2 Thanks for this!

CleopatraSoup Mon 22-May-17 11:14:30

Signed.

And for what it's worth under the current system there is no guarantee that you will get a place in a care home or adequate help at home even if you can pay for it.

Granny23 Mon 22-May-17 11:28:13

Signed and shared on Facebook with this message:

Please sign and share. Though from where I'm standing the potential loss of your home, or spouse's/children's inheritance is not the worst aspect of this. It is the whole concept that Dementia is not a disease - it is. Funding for care should be provided by the state just as it is for any other condition/illness/disease/disability.

Also not being highlighted is the fact that they will only start plundering the value of your home once they have exhausted all your savings, pension, investments, etc.

I am thinking about the many women in their 70/80s who are living comfortably by virtue of their husband's work or private pension and investment income, with little in their own name except their State Pension. Hopefully the worst will not happen but perhaps time to review your joint finances and ensure they are shared equitably.

yggdrasil Mon 22-May-17 11:32:37

Well I would, but with only 2 weeks to go the Conservatives aren't going to take much notice. The best thing to do is vote Anything but Tory and stop them getting the majority they expect

TriciaF Mon 22-May-17 11:48:17

They'll be advocating euthanasia next. angry

ninathenana Mon 22-May-17 12:02:15

TriciaF I seriously sometimes wonder if that isn't a personal prefered option.
At least there would be something left for my children to inherit.

paddyann Mon 22-May-17 12:20:41

I cant get my head around this policy ....you're ill opt to stay in your own home (saving money for the state)Benefits have been slashed so you're unlikely to be claiming any...no motability so you cant get to appointments...so the nursing/care staff have to come to you .And the government want everything you own(bar £100,000) if you have that much,when you die.Of course all their mega rich supporters will be shouting with glee ,doesn't affect them and its saving the taxpayer money so THEIR taxes wont have to rise ...

mcem Mon 22-May-17 13:05:50

Manifesto meltdown and u-turn!!
Have yet to take in the details.

trisher Mon 22-May-17 13:30:52

Strong and Stable to the last (well at least for 4 days!!!)

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 13:51:23

May says Corbyn is trying to scare people.
This is what Hunt said on the cap last week.

"In an interview last week on Radio 4's Today programme on Friday, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt explicitly ruled out a cap. He said: "... not only are we dropping it (the cap) but we are dropping it ahead of a general election and I think we're being completely explicit in our manifesto that we're dropping it." "

I wonder if she discussed it first with him?

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 13:54:17

May isn't discussing anything with anyone. If she did she wouldn't have made the errors she has to date over Brexit and now the manifesto.

suzied Mon 22-May-17 13:58:59

I think May and "her team" are so confident of victory they are putting out all the unpopular measures ahead of the election so that people can't moan about it afterwards. Let's hope it shoots them in the foot.

whitewave Mon 22-May-17 14:02:21

Tories are unhappily tinged with more than a little arrogance . Cameron was arrogant enough to think he'd win the referendum

Iam64 Mon 22-May-17 14:21:58

Signed and shared, thanks GG

GracesGranMK2 Mon 22-May-17 14:30:21

Don't stop signing now the apparent U turn has taken place. I have put an explanation about how the 'cap' would work on Paying for social care - good news or bad news?

Cold Mon 22-May-17 14:35:34

Didn't Cameron also promise to cap care costs at £35,000? - how did that work out?

durhamjen Mon 22-May-17 14:51:17

It was ignored my May, Cold. The man who did the study, Dilnot, said £35,000 cap. Cameron suggested £72,000.

nanaK54 Mon 22-May-17 15:03:23

Signed

Anya Mon 22-May-17 15:06:08

Signed and shared.

yggdrasil Tue 23-May-17 12:08:00

May also keeps saying she is the only one who can 'negotiate' for Brexit. This ignores the fact that Labour have a fully qualified team in place to do that, it isn't down to Jeremy alone as she seems to think.
Still, in her place I wouldn't trust David Davis & his pals to do it, even though she set them up as her team.