Gransnet forums

News & politics

A Labour Government.

(1001 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 28-May-17 07:42:31

I am seriously getting worried, that that joke Corbyn might end up running he country, which will within months, put a new social policy in place to be paid for by the ones that work, and on their knees knees already, borrowing money, left right and centre, so that llike every labour government in history leave us in massive debts that will increase until, once again the country votes conservative to sort it all out. I probably won't be here it see that happen. I notuce the frugal life style Blair had, an example to all labour voters. He and his very rich family did very well out of it, pity the country didn't, particularly those youngsters sent to Iraq.

daphnedill Tue 06-Jun-17 20:56:25

Theresa May has voted against almost as much anti-terrorism legislation as Corbyn has.

durhamjen Tue 06-Jun-17 20:55:06

I am quite shocked that you have a friend who has always supported Labour.

whitewave Tue 06-Jun-17 20:53:15

Wonder where she got her evidence for that apparently "shocking" decision?

durhamjen Tue 06-Jun-17 20:53:14

Have you listened to this, Boris on radio four this morning?

voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/06/06/bojo-makes-a-clown-of-himself-once-again/

durhamjen Tue 06-Jun-17 20:50:57

She is wrong.

grannypiper Tue 06-Jun-17 20:45:49

Really shocked tonight,have just spoken to a very good friend of mine who has always strongly supported Labour and until the weekend just gone has been out on the streets rallying support for them. Tonight she has admitted she cant vote Labour on Thursday and will in fact be voting Conservative as she beleives Corbyn has sympathy with the terrorists and wont keep our country safe. She is right

durhamjen Tue 06-Jun-17 19:45:08

Here's that Labour PPB in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

skwawkbox.org/2017/06/06/never-had-a-party-political-broadcast-make-you-want-to-applaud-watch-ge17/

durhamjen Tue 06-Jun-17 19:20:02

I've been following Harry since he first started writing about the NHS. I have his book, Harry's Last Stand, and have bought it for others. I think he has an amazing story.
I have passed that link on to my family on facebook, hoping they could catch any waverers before Thursday, daphne.

This is an interesting read, too.

kittysjones.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/theresa-may-voted-against-anti-terror-legislation-jeremy-corbyn-signed-a-motion-that-condemned-ira-violence-in-1994/

About the lies the Tories tell; and I've heard some of them tonight on the news.

daphnedill Tue 06-Jun-17 13:37:48

My 24 year old DD first pointed me in Harry's direction. Apparently he's become a bit of a cult figure.

Both my children are in the 18-24 group and we've had political discussions for years. To people of that age, Blair and Iraq are history. They don't recoil in horror when they see Blair's face and they don't know much about "Blairism". The Labour Party isn't tainted as it is for older people. The Commonwealth is ancient history!

What they do see is a world where their values are at odds with austerity, racism, sexism, nationalism, etc. A few years ago, my daughter said to me that she was proud of her country, because we have the NHS and a good education system (compared with many others), but she could see it all being taken away. They see a world which is stacked against them and I think Corbyn's Labour Party gives them hope, not unlike the immediate post-war generation.

whitewave Tue 06-Jun-17 13:04:35

My Mum could have written that daph they are exactly her sentiments. She says everything good that we fought for is being destroyed.

daphnedill Tue 06-Jun-17 12:57:58

No, it doesn't have to be like that. It's like it is, because people are making choices.

daphnedill Tue 06-Jun-17 12:56:55

Maizie This is Harry Leslie Smith's take on that. Harry is a 94 year old survivor of the Great Depression and a 2nd World War RAF veteran.

Today’s Young Must Be The Tide To Raise All Boats.

politicsmeanspolitics.com/election-diary-june-4th-todays-young-must-be-the-tide-to-raise-all-boats-f63ef8f1298a

I love Harry.

Tegan2 Tue 06-Jun-17 12:52:54

I think that was what [sadly] put me off Corbyn at first. A sort of, ah yes, we all felt like that one day but as we get older we realise that life is much more complicated. However, that youthful optimism has rubbed off on me and let's help the younger generation get the future that we all wanted when we were their age. I never dreamt, back then that I'd be living in a country where I was worried about getting old and sick. I doesn't have to be that way, does it?

daphnedill Tue 06-Jun-17 12:51:37

Stephen Hawkin lives in Cambridge and is spoilt for choice. Cambridge is an ultra-marginal LibDem/Labour constituency. Both candidates are strongly Remain, which the City itself is

Cambridge is likely to be very badly affected by Brexit. The labs, research institutes, hi-tech businesses and the university are already being affected. Unlike Oxford, Cambridge doesn't really have any alternative industries.

I find it ironic that people are concerned about the mega-wealthy leaving the UK, if taxes are raised, but they don't seem to be bothered that some of the best brains in the country will leave. Countries such as France, Germany, Italy and even Estonia are already saying that they'll be welcome.

MaizieD Tue 06-Jun-17 12:42:49

I'm finding it interesting that the young are supporting Corbyn. After all, the future belongs to them, not us.

I don't think we should ever forget that it was the young, our parents, who voted for the post-war Labour government who effected such a radical change for the better with the introduction of the Welfare State.

grandadoscar Tue 06-Jun-17 12:06:27

www.independent.co.uk/news/science/stephen-hawking-jeremy-corbyn-labour-theresa-may-conservatives-endorsement-general-election-a7774016.html?cmpid=facebook-post

Stephen Hawking, regularly referred to as the world's smartest man, has backed Jeremy Corbyn.

The Conservatives would be a "disaster" for public services, the world-renowned astrophysicist said.

“I’m voting Labour because another five years of Conservative government would be a disaster for the NHS, the police and other public services," he said, after a meeting with Cambridge MP Daniel Zeichner.

whitewave Tue 06-Jun-17 11:57:42

Hello grandadoscar are you knew? If so welcomesmile

grandadoscar Tue 06-Jun-17 11:38:59

www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/811392/dementia-tax-care-symptoms-vascular-alzheimers

more on this

grandadoscar Tue 06-Jun-17 11:30:50

and of course the dementia tax under the tories

blog.alzheimers.org.uk/campaigns/dementia-tax/?gclid=CN_K34SBqdQCFbQW0wodNo8CvA

classic rich get richer and poor get poorer.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 06-Jun-17 11:21:16

It actually looked like the predictive text monster had got you Anya. Enjoy your coffee - um, good idea.

Tegan2 Tue 06-Jun-17 11:20:07

I think the stress is getting to all of us....

Anya Tue 06-Jun-17 11:09:17

Just committed another plonker on the prediction thread.

Time to go shopping and have a flat white.

Anya Tue 06-Jun-17 11:03:30

?

GracesGranMK2 Tue 06-Jun-17 10:54:11

I think we should have a prize for the funniest typos Anya - that would be up there smile.

Anya Tue 06-Jun-17 10:46:50

Semi-liberate!!! *NOT .....but I'm sure you can spell check that one!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion