Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election leaflets

(10 Posts)
Charleygirl Fri 02-Jun-17 22:28:50

To date I have heard from the Conservatives on almost a daily basis. Again it is the same twaddle, not actually explaining anything or giving facts.

mollie Fri 02-Jun-17 22:13:41

Same here, Lib Dem leaflet arrived today and didn't tell us anything about the candidate or his concern for the constituency. so, that makes two leaflets this election. Which is two more than for the local election last month.

annodomini Fri 02-Jun-17 18:27:51

The kind of generic Freepost leaflet MawB received is sent out by local parties that haven't a cat in hell's chance! Their members (if any) are usually sent off to work in target constituencies rather than waste time leafleting their own.

vampirequeen Fri 02-Jun-17 17:23:48

The latest one from my UKIP candidate uses the word 'foriegn' several times. You'd think they'd at least try to get the spellings right even if the 'facts' they state are lies grin

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 23:09:49

The Guardian was asking for them. I don't know if they still want them, but it might be worthwhile sending a copy to show the lies.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/09/have-you-received-any-general-election-leaflets-share-your-photos

durhamjen Sun 28-May-17 23:07:20

That's interesting, vampirequeen. Hopefully everyone who lives near you will see the lies for what they are.

vampirequeen Sun 28-May-17 21:01:55

I've had all the main parties plus UKIP. The UKIP one contained outright lies e.g. if Labour get in you will have to pay £30 to see a doctor/Labour intend to have totally open borders for the entire world.

I thought that I would complain to the Electoral Commission but it appears that they don't deal with anything to do with canvassing or leaflets.

Then I thought it might come under advertising but again they don't deal with anything political.

The only suggestion both sites made was that if the statement broke the law e.g. promoted race hate then it could be reported to the police.

So basically a political leaflet can say anything as long as it's not against the criminal law. Nothing in it has to be true.

rosesarered Sun 28-May-17 20:12:19

Have only had the Lib Dem leaflet so far, it did have info on it about the candidate as well as general stuff Maw

kittylester Sun 28-May-17 18:32:36

What is an election leaflet? We never see them round here and as for seeing a candidate........ apart from the one we know and wouldn't vote for in a million years!

MawBroon Sun 28-May-17 18:30:05

Friday's post brought an election leaflet on behalf of the LibDem candidate for my constituency.
In my experience, such communications usually introduce the candidate, tell you something about his or her background, experience and suitability to represent the constituency.
All of this was conspicuous by its absence.
Al I got to read was a rehash of LibDem Brexit policy and what they would do in the unlikely event that they were to form a government.
AIBU to say I would appreciate something to provide the information I mention above, including the candidate's own personal philosophy and aspirations and what in her opinion justifies my voting for her.