Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sad for Manchester and Northern Ireland

(5 Posts)
BonnieBlooming Sun 28-May-17 18:49:07

Nowhere knows better than Northern Ireland how Manchester is feeling after the awful atrocity this week. After all we had almost 40 years of violence, destruction and death. I was 13 when the troubles started and so did most of my growing up and spent a large part of my adult life against a relentless background of suffering. I was very lucky never to have been caught up in an incident but that does not mean I went unscathed. I witnessed bombs go of, listened to gun fire at night, revised for my a levels by candle light because pylons had been blown up, knew people who were injured or killed, witnessed the endless procession of funerals on our local news. Our town centres were locked at night, there was little in the way of social or night life and many music stars refused to come to Belfast so no concerts.
But we survived. We went to school and work, treated the many bomb scares as an inconvenience, made homes and raised families. We were resilient and defiant in the face of violence just like Manchester is trying to be. So, Manchester we are with you.
But never in the many years when my poor country and it's people lived with war, destruction, violence and heartbreak do I ever remember ANYONE saying " Northern Ireland we are with you" In fact when we went to England we were treated with the same suspicion and distrust that many Muslims now face.
I'm glad everyone is supporting the people of Manchester.I'm sad that the funny, warm hearted, generous and hospitable and INNOCENT people of my country did not get the same support.

Washerwoman Sun 28-May-17 19:21:19

You had the support of DH and I Bonnie.DHs best friend and best man at our wedding is from our home town in England but married a Belfast girl, and we travelled to Belfast for their wedding at the height of the troubles along with some other friends and a warmer welcome,and a more fantastic time we couldn't have had.Some declined the invitation,and we had comments about going.There was never any question about it.And in the past 30+ years we have returned,met many of her extended family,seen the city's regeneration.I was in Manchester the day the Arndale centre was bombed and we live in a large town with a large Muslim community.But I have hopefully treated everyone with the same respect and tolerance I would wish to receive.I'm sure very proud of Northern Ireland,and the vast majority of decent and as you say innocent people who coped so resiliently ,and with such spirit.

Ilovecheese Sun 28-May-17 19:43:06

You are right Bonnieblooming. As a Mancunian I can only appologise.

BonnieBlooming Tue 30-May-17 18:11:53

Thank you washerwoman I appreciate your kind words. Belfast is a vibrant and interesting city now - something I never thought I would see but am very grateful for, especially for the younger generation. I would never want any city to go through what we experienced (and I am very mindful that it was the IRA that last bombed Manchester) I feel for the folk caught up in last week's awful events.

BonnieBlooming Tue 30-May-17 18:15:45

You have nothing to apologise for ilovecheese. Until you have been caught up in something it's hard to imagine what it is like.