Gransnet forums

News & politics

If you vote Conservative who will be Prime Minister

(31 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Wed 31-May-17 20:54:41

Watching the debate this evening with Amber Rudd standing in for Theresa May I wonder who will be doing this as PM. If they win I imagine she will be allowed her day, but how many days after that.

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 17:40:36

It was directed at May as well, sprite, particularly on the programme.

sprite66 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:37:45

I did feel slightly sorry for Amber Rudd. Her father died on Monday and she had to take an awful lot of flack which should have been directed at TM.

On another note this appears to be an invisible election. We have had no leaflets from any of our candidates, nobody has canvassed us and all my Tweets asking re Social Cap have been ignored.

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 17:36:51

Yes, that is a big problem, GracesGran. Not for much longer, I hope.

Tegan2 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:36:03

Probably because she and her party are 'selling' her as the only person capable of getting us out of this mess that we're now facing. It's 'strong and stable leadership' they're promoting, not the line up of muppets standing behind her [Gove, Johnson, Rees Mogg, Fox etc].

GracesGranMK2 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:35:44

Oh ... and I'm very tired. Are you OK?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:34:31

So what's your problem, GracesGranMk2?

Other than the Conservatives I don't have one. What's yours?

Ana Thu 01-Jun-17 17:32:02

Didn't someone say on another thread that it wouldn't be May negotiating anyway, but Davis (or Keir Starmer if Labour were to win)?

So what's your problem, GracesGranMk2?

durhamjen Thu 01-Jun-17 17:28:13

I heard she was at home knitting another red, white and blue scarf!

GracesGranMK2 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:18:47

Someone said on Sky News that May had important brexit stuff to do and it was pointed out that, if that was the case, she shouldn't have called an election so close to the brexit negotiations.

You are so right Tegan. The May campaign really do think people will believe bilge don't they. They have said she is ready for the negotiations. This is the person with the government offices behind her who has called a general election that ends 11 days before the negotiations are due to begin. That's really putting party before country. Bilge and yet more Bilge.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 23:23:45

grin

Jalima1108 Wed 31-May-17 23:21:21

Well, NotTooOld tell him that at least we can debate it in this country, unlike in some warm and sunny countries.

I just hope it's not Amber Rudd as she needs an urgent sense of humour transplant
A bit like Keir Starmer then - can you imagine those two as PM and Leader of the Opposition?

The Glums.

NotTooOld Wed 31-May-17 23:03:07

To answer the question posed by the OP, gawd only knows. I just hope it's not Amber Rudd as she needs an urgent sense of humour transplant.

NotTooOld Wed 31-May-17 23:01:08

Isn't the 'brexit stuff' on hold until after the election, Tegan2? Can't be that so it must be the Somerset goats. I'm very interested in the political stuff on TV and the radio, DH is getting fed up with me and demanding to live in a 'warm and sunny country where no-one bothers me about elections'. I don't think he'll be getting his wish.

Tegan2 Wed 31-May-17 22:32:35

Someone said on Sky News that May had important brexit stuff to do and it was pointed out that, if that was the case, she shouldn't have called an election so close to the brexit negotiations.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 22:17:37

When Corbyn and May did the audience/Paxman interviews there was only a very small percentage of the population watching, can't remember the actual figures but round about 2 million.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 22:14:24

I wonder what this 'bubble' is that I am supposed to live in? confused or wait....
Could it just be a rather silly thing that posters use when they don't like what another poster says? Yes, I think so.

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 22:14:02

Do goats get a vote in Somerset?

Wowzer! That explains a lot!

varian Wed 31-May-17 22:13:49

I'm sorry to say I agree roses that hardly anyond watches politics which accounts for a lot

daphnedill Wed 31-May-17 22:12:06

Hmm...hmm...Let' see! I suspect more people are bothered than you think. They don't all live in bubbles.

varian Wed 31-May-17 22:11:50

She was in Somerset, not meeting "real people" but meeting loyal Tories at the Bath and West Show. Look out for photos with farm animals- it's all stage managed PR.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 22:01:07

Who said the Cobra meetings were tonight?
I doubt she will lose any support Varian because hardly anyone bothers to watch
Anything political.

varian Wed 31-May-17 21:56:12

TM let herself, her party and the voters down by not bothering to turn up for tonight's debate. So insulting to the electorate. I hope she loses a lot of support as a result.

durhamjen Wed 31-May-17 21:54:51

Roses, you are living in that other world again, aren't you, the one that suggests there will be a good majority.

There are no Cobra meetings. Stop making excuses for her. If there were, how come Amber Rudd was there?

She was in Somerset, meeting real people.

rosesarered Wed 31-May-17 21:48:00

You can never say never ( with anything) but it would be surprising ( if the Conservatives win with a good majority) that T May would then be ditched.
On not being there in Cambridge tonight, it could well be said, that since the bombings last week she has been involved in chairing Cobra meetings, going over to attend the G7 meetings and electioneering here at home.Rather more weighty matters than just electioneering as all the others have been doing.I can't think that being in Cambridge for the debate ( I use the word loosely) would have progressed her case, because I don't think it did that for anyone there tonight, it was a shambles.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 31-May-17 21:44:09

grin I really meant that the Conservatives may be being conned.