Gransnet forums

News & politics

Election pamphlets, have a look...........

(11 Posts)
phoenix Fri 02-Jun-17 21:32:42

Evening all,

I have been diligently reading through the stuff that has been put through the letterbox by various candidates standing in our constituency.

There is the usual stuff about housing, social care, police, local economy etc.

Now, check the small print!

Of the 3 received today, only 1 was printed by a company within the area covered by the candidate.

OK, might seem a really, really small thing, but surely if you are saying that you support your local area and it's economy, then you use local suppliers/ businesses?

If any of you have campaign leaflets that haven't yet gone into the recycling, have a look!

merlotgran Fri 02-Jun-17 21:39:53

Too late! Any that the dogs haven't chewed are on the compost heap!

Ana Fri 02-Jun-17 22:06:43

Mine have all been taken away today by the recycling crew.

mcem Fri 02-Jun-17 22:47:59

The only one I've had is from SNP and it was printed in the constituency.

paddyann Fri 02-Jun-17 22:59:25

I goot the Ruths candidate one ,that only mentions independence ,my but she's obsessed with that word.Shame she has NO policies though .I guess folk who vote tory know whats coming ,rape clause,austerity,benefit cuts for disabled,etc etc etc.She'd just depress her followers if they had to read that,much better to do the SNP BAD thing .They can all chant it together

phoenix Fri 02-Jun-17 23:08:56

Sorry paddyann, bit confused, predictive text perhaps?

daphnedill Fri 02-Jun-17 23:22:58

This is two thirds of my flyer. Did everybody else receive the same?

The rest is mainly of the candidate with her family and pulling a pint in a local pub, plus the ominous message:

"If we don't back the Prime Minister and help her get this negotiation right, we risk our local economic security,placing our local schools and public services under threat."

Errm...the Conservatives have already placed our local schools and public services under threat. Many of the people who live here work either in the City in financial services, in science/IT/medical research in Cambridge or for Ryanair at Stansted. All are threatened by Brexit.

We're also promised better broadband and mobile access. This is a candidate parachuted into the constituency from Wimbledon. The local paper reported that she'd found the poor wifi irritating on her first visit here, so nothing to do with personal interest.[Hmm] What about our lack of hospital or police?

daphnedill Fri 02-Jun-17 23:23:53

PS. It wasn't printed in the constituency.

Elrel Sat 03-Jun-17 00:20:59

Daphne - I don't live in the same area as you and got the same TM pages in my leaflet. Next time I put some paper into the recycling I'll check where it was printed but it looks very similar. ?

daphnedill Sat 03-Jun-17 00:31:58

This is a safe Conservative seat, but it would be nice to think the candidate bothered.

The only realistic opposition is from the LibDems. I've thrown it away now, but I've had two - both focussing on the local candidate and local needs - and published in the constituency. I know, because I helped deliver them.

If candidates were judged on effort and merit, the LD would win hands down, but I know he won't.

phoenix Sat 03-Jun-17 04:02:06

Thanks to all for the responses, hope I'm not seen as trivializing the issue.