Gransnet forums

News & politics

So what can be done to stop terrorism?

(2 Posts)
Tegan2 Mon 05-Jun-17 17:56:01

I just saw an interview with Hanif Qadir in Sky News. He is an ex Taliban fighter, now dedicated to bringing about an end to terrorism. This is part of an interview with him.'HPR: Given the degree of radicalization in the West, you have said that we are not winning the War on Terror. What does it look like when we are winning and can it even be won?

HQ: The War on Terror absolutely can be won. I believe wholeheartedly that it can be won. Communities have a role to play in this. We cannot tackle this problem without the backing of the community, and the only thing that will allow that to happen is if the government and its institutions support organizations like the ACF to go into communities and build that collateral. There has to be more participation from young people and from communities in politics, government, and education.

When you start to see young men and women being inspired by people who may not share the same faith as them and celebrating that—feeling respected and privileged even with these differences—that is what winning the War on Terror looks like. This can be done once organizations have effectively reached out to our communities and our young people, with the understanding that the war can be won in a matter of years.'From what I understand he is, alas, no longer employed by the government though. I was very impressed by what he said.

M0nica Mon 05-Jun-17 18:46:36

I doubt terrorism will ever go away. Islamic terrorism may go, much as IRA terrorism has gone, beyond a few extremists, but in every generation there will be young men, and it is mainly young men, who will be drawn to some kind of extremist cause and will believe that they have a right to force their opinions on the rest of the world by violence and death if need be