Gransnet forums

News & politics

use your vote

(13 Posts)
Penstemmon Wed 07-Jun-17 20:59:02

Well, tomorrow will soon be over.

Depending on the outcome I will try not to gloat/sulk/be hysterical. (delete as applicable)

I just hope that people use their vote, vote thoughtfully, for policy not personality and are graceful whatever the outcome.

kittylester Wed 07-Jun-17 21:20:39

Well said, penstemmon!

MawBroon Wed 07-Jun-17 21:27:15

Hear, hear.
If I am being honest I am not looking forward to Friday as the two likeliest scenarios fill me with foreboding.
I think this Election has been an expensive and unnecessary distraction.
If they had called it last year with the EU as main issue there would have at least been some point, but I cannot foresee any winners.

M0nica Thu 08-Jun-17 08:09:04

Such is my despair over the whole body politic in this country at the moment that although I will vote, I am utterly indifferent to the result and I am thankful that tomorrow I have good reasons for not needing to consult any sort of media all day so that I can miss all the shouting and hullabaloo over the results and the worst of the over reactions to the form of the new government, whatever that may be.

Christinefrance Thu 08-Jun-17 08:23:39

I agree Penstemmon but I forsee some vitriolic posts if previous experience is anything to go by.

Riverwalk Thu 08-Jun-17 08:32:03

Not much enthusiasm around is there? grin

I've voted tactically - let's see how that works out!

I remember some years back on GN quite a few of us were talking about abstaining as an active choice, such was the sorry state of the body politic then ... I still feel the same.

Anniebach Thu 08-Jun-17 08:35:50

I want to know if certain MP's have kept their seats , but that's it, which every party wins it will be a disastrous result.

rosesarered Thu 08-Jun-17 08:41:18

I agree too Penstemmon have never seen the point in screaming about the result of a democratic vote.
sure, you can complain later on if you want to , if you don't like the policies or the way things are going, but not for a while IMHO.
However, remember the hysteria/bile spewed onto this site after the referendum and before that at the last GE.
There will no doubt be complaints, if the Conservatives do win, that it was all the fault of 'the meeja' right wing columnists/tweets etc and based on lies, voters being manipulated/not understanding blah blah.
If Labour win, I for one will not be moaning and whinging.Hope others won't either.

Riverwalk Thu 08-Jun-17 08:48:34

The worst case scenario will be a Tory win by a very narrow margin .... then we'll have the agonies of a leadership contest shock

I think I'd have to emigrate/hibernate - couldn't take any more!

M0nica Thu 08-Jun-17 12:24:13

I rather fancy a UKIP/Green party coalition.

It could not be worse than any other alternative that faces us and at least it would keep us amused while the country went to hell in a handbasket, which it is likely to do no matter who forms the next government.

gillybob Thu 08-Jun-17 12:28:08

I know a few people who are not voting. They really can't see the point as the LP always win in our town by a huge majority. Always have, always will.

Azie09 Thu 08-Jun-17 15:44:53

I think you're probably posting tongue in cheek M0nica and I love it grin (and sorry if that's stating the obvious)!

gillybob same goes in plenty of other places where the CP always wins, that's why we need proportional representation.

Penstemmon Thu 08-Jun-17 21:38:10

That would make a good sitcom M0nica