Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emily davidson

(10 Posts)
trisher Sat 10-Jun-17 09:46:57

Oh come on it's something often done. She has been remembered. Isn't that a good thing?

janeainsworth Fri 09-Jun-17 17:32:13

Her name was Emily Wilding Davison.
I don't usually correct people's typos but I think if we are remembering someone we should remember their name correctly.

paddyann Fri 09-Jun-17 13:54:33

my granny was a suffragette ,most dangerous thing she did was knock a policemans hat off at a demo...she was arrested and taken to court and my grandfather had to go with her and agree to "take her home and make sure she behaves" No chance of that then !!

trisher Fri 09-Jun-17 11:26:15

There are stories (largely apocryphal) that suffragettes in the NE were seen in fields practising attaching the colours to moving horses.

nanasam Fri 09-Jun-17 10:13:18

Did she seriously think the King's jockey would pull up the horse in the middle of a race just so she could pin a badge on it - it beggars belief.

silverlining48 Fri 09-Jun-17 09:54:22

thanks for that info trisher,

trisher Fri 09-Jun-17 09:46:25

Oh and she didn't jump in front of the horse- she was trying to fix the WSPU colours to it and was knocked over. Excellent programme by Clare Balding about this, including the scarf which was picked up and pocketed by the Clerk of the course.

silverlining48 Fri 09-Jun-17 09:02:44

I am wondering what the next 100 years will. BRing. We wont be here to witness it of course (a strange concept in itself as come to thi nk of it, neither will our children). It defies our imagination, but interesting to consider.

trisher Fri 09-Jun-17 08:22:40

Thanks for the reminder. Took part in the 100year commemoration in 2013 in Morpeth where she is buried. We forget what those women suffered in order that we should be able to vote.

silverlining48 Fri 09-Jun-17 06:48:20

104 years ago today emily davidson lost her life when she jumped in front of the kings horse in the fight for women's rights. . seems apt somehow to mention on this election day.