Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government watch

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Sun 11-Jun-17 10:52:41

Now this really be worth doing!!

Let's start with the QS.

What will be left out/watered down! Not sure how they will explain it away as it's in the manifesto. Probably say something like "Brexit and all it's complications will mean that stuff will have to be shelved"

Fox hunting - out
Triple lock - remains
Social care - out

durhamjen Wed 26-Jul-17 11:22:27

It's amazing, Welshife how easily the government can slip things through. That's why we always need a government watch thread.
I am sure it was three months in 1996, when my husband started claiming benefits.
It will be interesting to find out when it changed to 39 weeks and under whose watch.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 25-Jul-17 20:39:51

I haven't seen anything in the papers Jen. They slipped that one through.

Welshwife Tue 25-Jul-17 19:37:15

I think then it must have been a few years ago it was 3 weeks as I know someone who was able to take advantage of this for a few months.

durhamjen Tue 25-Jul-17 18:40:24

At the moment, but it's after 39 weeks the interest is paid as a benefit.
This came out as a written answer, not debated in parliament.

Welshwife Tue 25-Jul-17 18:37:14

I thought that at the moment after three months the interest on the mortgage was paid as a benefit - those renting get all their rent paid quite quickly. This only gives people with a mortgage an extra debt and no doubt the interest will be increasing all the time.

durhamjen Tue 25-Jul-17 18:09:35

This is interesting. Haven't seen anything about it in the papers. Government support for just about managing?

"Mortgages: Tax Allowances
To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, what the Government's policy from April 2018 will be on support for mortgage interest.
A
Answered by: Caroline Dinenage
Answered on: 18 July 2017

From 6 April 2018 a new loans-based system of support for mortgage interest will replace the current benefits based provision. Eligible owner-occupier recipients of income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit and Universal Credit will be offered interest-bearing loans that give the same level of protection against repossession as current provision. These loans will be secured against their property and repaid from available equity when the property is sold."

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 15:25:19

ukandeu.ac.uk/a-disgusting-political-lie-eu-parents-respond-to-the-childrens-commissioners-letter-to-michel-barnier/

Tegan2 Sat 22-Jul-17 12:35:25

I thought Network rail was publicly owned?

whitewave Sat 22-Jul-17 10:09:09

dj yes I read that - it's obviously been on the cards since the referendum, it is just that the Brexiters in the government were slow to catch up. Businesses have finally gotten through their thick skulls.

Primrose65 Sat 22-Jul-17 10:06:26

Network Rail board salaries are massively inflated. I don't know how they get away with it when they keep failing to deliver year after year.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 01:56:09

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/news/latest/freedom-movement-will-continue-after-brexit

For some years. That will please the Brexiteers.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 01:36:05

“Average incomes in the Midlands, Wales and the North of England have fallen further behind the rest of the country. Low earnings are an increasingly important driver of poverty, with the proportion of children in poverty in working households rising sharply in recent years.

“The Government must make urgent progress with its industrial strategy, working across party lines to deliver a plan that drives up skills and productivity across the country. That will deliver more and better jobs and higher living standards that people desperately need.”

Does the government have an industrial strategy?
They have reneged on their plans to electrify railway lines in the Midlands, the West country and the Lake District.
However, the Network Rail boss gets a £50,000 bonus on top of his salary of £683,000.

durhamjen Sat 22-Jul-17 01:28:12

I liked Vince Cable's description of our main Brexiteers.
He suggested people should get behind Philip Hammond as the best of a bad job, as he is a political adult, compared with Johnson in short trousers and Dr Fox in nappies. "In that company he deserves some qualified support."

Ana Fri 21-Jul-17 15:28:23

grin Sorry GG2 that sentence tickled me - visions of millions of people with lopsided bums keeling over...

As you were.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 21-Jul-17 15:24:40

Lopsided growth means millions of people across the UK falling behind

Tegan2 Fri 21-Jul-17 12:39:41

It's going backwards in time because, thus far I don't see what has actually happened other than Article 50 being triggered. All we have is a lot of uncertainty about the future. When things do actually start to happen we can then discuss the results.We've been in limbo land for over a year, partly because of the time and effort put into a general election that wasn't even necessary. In the meantime I've been learning things that I didn't know prior to the referendum; eg the fact that we could have had greater controls over immigration but didn't implement them, that have made me even more angry about the result. I have yet to see or hear of one good thing that has come out of all this.

Smileless2012 Fri 21-Jul-17 09:25:06

I've stated my intellectual and moral reasons for voting for Brexit on previous threads dj, as has roses and other Brexiters. I shouldn't think you haven't seen my previous posts, you just don't 'listen' to a point of view that differs from your own.

If when casting you vote you didn't base it on moral or intellectual reasoning, what did you base it on?

durhamjen Fri 21-Jul-17 09:02:48

So what was the point of your response, roses?
Can you give an intellectual reason for wanting to leave the EU?
I was just following on from Smileless. Is that not allowed now?

rosesarered Fri 21-Jul-17 08:53:13

Here we go again djen..... more insults and demands from Remainers.
We have been down this road many times before.Nobody has to justify their reasons for voting to Leave ( either then or now.)
This thread is going backwards in time.

rosesarered Fri 21-Jul-17 08:50:26

ww...... your posts are getting more and more ridiculous!

Lying back and thinking of England.....haha, nope, my life is much more exciting than that.
All this talk of fighting is nonsense.You can be a keyboard warrior only.

The population in the UK have decided to leave the EU Tegan but that doesn't mean they will run things, so yes, the politicians will do the negotiating, and if they do things well or badly in your opinion makes no difference to the outcome.

durhamjen Fri 21-Jul-17 08:49:59

I have yet to see any moral and intellectual reasoning from those who voted to leave.
To get my country back is neither moral nor intellectual.
Can you give any intellectual reasons for leaving the biggest bloc we trade with, Smileless?

Smileless2012 Fri 21-Jul-17 08:37:27

I did not put words in your mouth Gill, I quoted exactly the points in your post that I was referring too.

Of course you have the right to express your anger and frustration at the decision of the majority for Brexit but when you refer to some Brexiters being misled by false promises, you fail to consider how many voters were misled by the profit of doom merchants to remain.

There has not been one thread on this forum when discussing Brexit where the intellect and integrity of those who voted to leave has not been insulted. Those who voted to remain do not have the intellectual or moral high ground and that is clearly evident from some of the posts on this, and other threads.

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 20:53:01

ofgs...

Tegan2 Thu 20-Jul-17 20:49:43

'Why not? Others might want to join you in whatever it is...if indeed it is anything'. That SOUNDS like an accusation of lying even though it obviously confused isn't...

Ana Thu 20-Jul-17 20:44:57

Oh get over yourself ww - I've never accused you of 'lying', again or otherwise.

I was asking what you did to 'fight against Brexit'.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion