Gransnet forums

News & politics

At the risk of enraging present company ??

(101 Posts)
MawBroon Wed 14-Jun-17 22:14:19

I am reposting this as the best thing I have seen in connection with politics in a LONG TIME.
In case you have missed out on the Great Get Together thread, I am, heart in mouth, reposting in a second place (ooh missus!! grin )
www.thesun.co.uk/news/3771810/have-some-fun-at-politicians-expense-with-jo-cox-foundations-mash-up-video-for-the-great-get-together/

whitewave Thu 15-Jun-17 07:38:15

baggs tell me, how do you separate the two?

Nothing any propaganda publication does is anything other than furthering its political agenda.

Patronising does nothing to further the argument.

Anya Thu 15-Jun-17 07:38:28

Fine to post a 'tribute' when this excuse for a newspaper stirred up the very sort of hatred that led to some acclaiming her killer as a hero? I think not.

An apology would be more appropriate.

And may I say Baggs that your entirely predictaable post 'differences of opinion exist in everything' seems to miss the point.

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 07:45:08

well Baggs I've certainly nothing to learn from any of your posts

Baggs Thu 15-Jun-17 08:50:54

Tell me where I patronised, please, ww. I wasn't aware I was doing any patronising.

And what am I separating, please? Oh, wait! I think I understand... the message from the publication. I think if I answer the honest truth you'll think that's patronising as well. However, here goes: easily. The same way I separate what a person says from who the person is. I suspect (here comes another "seen as patronising" bit) that it's all down to critical thinking training.

No prob, rig. I don't post for people to learn from me. What a weird idea! Gransnet isn't a classroom.

Baggs Thu 15-Jun-17 08:55:26

anya, that's exactly what I meant when I said I don't read the Sun. I've no idea what the Sun says so I didn't know what you're saying about it stirring up the hatred that led to the killing of Jo Cox. Also, I question that, since if it was inciting hatred in such a definable and visible way, it would be sued. We do have laws about such things.

Don't we?

When I say I don't read the Sun, I mean I don't read the Sun. I don't know what's in it, and since comments about it are always so bad, why would I try and find out?

I don't get you guys who know so much about newspapers you disdain. Why not ignore them? Attention is what they thrive on.

MaizieD Thu 15-Jun-17 09:14:33

I don't get you guys who know so much about newspapers you disdain. Why not ignore them?

Know thy enemy, Baggs. A very sound principle.

I find it quite astonishing that you've been on Gnet a while and post on Politics threads and you claim to be ignorant of the contents of The Sun...

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jun-17 09:20:13

I've watched it again today. And it still makes me smile. Joe Cox made me smile too. I think she'd have loved it. The fact that some on here do not, is fine too. It was ever thus. smile

Baggs Thu 15-Jun-17 09:28:15

I like to astonish. Obviously I know what people say about the Sun. It's quite enough, I find. I do have better things to read, after all.

What I find astonishing on GN is that there are people who really really mind that others have different points of view, as if, say, absolutely everything in the Guardian were gospel and everything in the Sun or Daily Mail were straight from the pits of hell. Nothing is all right or all wrong. So, if I see a link and interesting comment about something in the DM (happens on Twitter sometimes, not from the Sun though, funnily enough), I'll go and take a look. If I am not impressed with it, I shrug and move on.

Saw part of an interview between a Fox news man and a self-described leftie from Wisconsin recently about the student outrages at Evergreen College. The leftie was a complete automoton. The newsman could not get any sense out of him on the actual issue. I'd previously listened to the same newsman interview a lecturer from Evergreen who has moved his family out of state because of concerns for his and their safety. All because he disagreed, politely and reasonably, with something some students said.

Do those who scoff at my avoidance of the Sun ever listen to interviews on Fox news outlets, I wonder? Knowing the enemy and all that.

Gotta go. I've an important date with a gransnetter.

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 09:34:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Bellanonna Thu 15-Jun-17 09:44:48

What a nasty post to chewbacca

MawBroon Thu 15-Jun-17 09:49:50

Oh dear, cat, pigeons, among.
Rearrange these words to make a well known saying.
To get the link to the video, I googled it and the Sun link came up.
However anyone who had seen it before will know that it was originally posted by MORE IN COMMON as part of the run up to this weekend's Great Get Together.(see below)
So if everybody who is crowded together on their extremely high horse regarding a newspaper most of us would not even use to line the budgie's cage, would like to collectively dismount, perhaps we could return to the philosophy Jo Cox embodied and respect her memory by greater and not less tolerance.
I quote from More in Common
"Well, it’s certainty been an eventful week. Here’s a little song for you ahead of The #GreatGetTogether next weekend. Hit it!" www.greatgettogether.org #moreincommon

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 09:53:09

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 09:57:31

Well MB it's a pity that the Sun was included in you link - that's what engaged me ( and others I think). But all the comments about that rag opposing every single thing she stood for is not getting on our high horses, it's telling it like it is. They have nothing in common with her.

gillybob Thu 15-Jun-17 09:57:55

Pigeons,oh dear cat among?
Cat oh dear? Pigeons among?
Among cats, oh dear pigeons?
Dear cat, Oh pigeons among?
Oh Pigeons, dear among cat?

No sorry, I give up. smile

merlotgran Thu 15-Jun-17 09:59:20

grin gilly

gillybob Thu 15-Jun-17 09:59:26

How do you know it was deliberately spelled wrong Rigby46? and what would be to gain from that? genuine question.

Cherrytree59 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:04:41

The message is *Come Together "
United in other words.

Perhaps we will hear from Jo's family with their thoughts on the video.

I don't read any newspapers.
But a message 'coming together' In these dreadful times is important .

There was a report this morning that people of London are rallying round helping the poor survivors of the Tower Block fire.
One Lady said 'This is why I came to Britain'.

NanaandGrampy Thu 15-Jun-17 10:09:49

Of course Rigby ....Chewbacca could have been thwarted by predictive texting and the need to post quickly?

But from your posts it would appear that couldn't possibly be the case smile

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:13:03

MawBroon Thu 15-Jun-17 10:13:41

Oh dear Rigby did you mean "engaged" or "enraged"? Anyone can make a typo. I explained (precisely) WHY the Sun link came up. Can't you see past that?
As for misspelling Jo's name....what's in a name. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
(That's quite a catchy line, I wonder if I could copyright it? )
Gilly try harder.
"Oh dear cat , pigeons among " natch! grin

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:14:06

Show me one of my posts where a mistyping was deliberately disrespectful?

NanaandGrampy Thu 15-Jun-17 10:16:37

Well that's the problem with predictive text and speed Rigby once my iPad has it in its head that a certain spelling is right it will keep throwing it up until I take the time to remove it from the dictionary.

I don't think your mistyping is disrespectful but your words sometimes are.

Chewbacca Thu 15-Jun-17 10:18:27

Hang on rigby I'm typing on a phone today, rather than a laptop. I can hardly see the screen it's so small. My phones predictive text has automatically amended my post, that's the reason for my alleged fuckwittery. What's yours?

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:19:03

Rigby46 Thu 15-Jun-17 10:22:32

I'm not mistyping Jo's name - and you've just come up with the excuse of your phone? After the second time? Yeh, right. You do know you can correct predictive text don't you?