Gransnet forums

News & politics

Revenge terrorist attack

(117 Posts)
Lillie Mon 19-Jun-17 05:31:42

Looks like a deliberate revenge attack on Muslims in Finsbury Park, North London.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Jun-17 14:00:51

Unbelievably, the adult son of the owner of the Pontyclun Van Hire company has tweeted:

shame they don't hire out steam rollers or tanks could have done a tidy job

Apart from being an Islamaphobe and fascist he's obviously an idiot!

And a lorry driver for Eddie Stobart shock

Steamroller

maddyone Wed 21-Jun-17 13:54:38

There have been 298 Islamic terror attacks on the West (all western countries) since 1968.
Source: Dr Mark Humphrys (PHD Cambridge)

Aslemma Wed 21-Jun-17 11:46:35

People say that Islamic terrorists are inspired by their religion. If so, it is strange that so many of them have criminal pasts, or a history of drug taking, as well as smoking and drinking, all of which are haram (forbidden) by their religion. Their main aim appears to be to divide communities and we simply can't let this happen. There will always be ignorant and prejudiced people who choose to hate but the vast majority of us, Christians, Moslems, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists and those of no religion simply want to get on with our lives and live in peace. As a side note, it was the Imam at the mosque who stopped the van driver being more seriously attacked.

I don't know what can be done, but it is up to everyone who deplores the attitude of hate to speak out and confront it head on whenever we hear people making ignorant remarks.

TriciaF Tue 20-Jun-17 16:05:44

Whatever it was, I hope some security will be arranged now to defend all Muslim places of prayer from these mad people.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 20-Jun-17 15:54:46

Horrible, there was something sadly inevitable about this, wasn't there?

daphnedill Tue 20-Jun-17 13:23:05

Do you not see the irony of your post Barmyoldbat?

As details of this attacker emerge, it's obvious that he quite deliberately targeted Muslims and had hated them before the latest atrocities in Manchester and London. On social media, he followed well-known anti-Islam groups, who have been calling for "revenge".

The worshippers at Finsbury Park mosque had nothing to do with the recent attacks.

There is no such thing as a "Muslim community". Even in the UK, Muslims have diverse views and beliefs.

Not in my name!

Barmyoldbat Tue 20-Jun-17 12:14:21

This man is a bully and a thug, let's use the correct wording ing describing him. the Muslim community have been in the news and in most cases given a bad press so it was the obvious group to target. He just needed an excuse to be a thug.

Baggs Tue 20-Jun-17 09:19:57

I don't know if, and I also don't think, the Finsbury Park attack was a revenge attack. However, if it is okay for people to say that recent terrorist attacks done by people who call themselves muslims are revenge for the interference of Western governments in various muslim majority countries (and quite a lot of people do argue this, including some of our more noticeable politicians) then it's also okay to call the FP attack a revenge attack. I think the argument is specious (where specious means plausible but wrong or inaccurate in reality) in either case, but if it is allowed in one instance then, logically, it's allowed in the other.

Whether it is true or not is an entirely different matter.

LumpySpacedPrincess Tue 20-Jun-17 06:35:40

Well said Reebs.

Reebs456 Tue 20-Jun-17 01:45:32

Condolences to mcem And joelsnan.

If Islam and the Quran & Hadith taught terrorism why is this a new thing in the last 20 yrs ago? Islam is nearly 1400 yrs old so where were all the terrorists before 9/11 or the Taliban?

Terrorism has NO race or religion.

maddyone Tue 20-Jun-17 00:42:04

Only just looked at GransNet, so very sorry Joelsnan, so very sorry. flowers

Reebs456 Mon 19-Jun-17 23:46:34

"Ruth1958 - If they are indeed a tiny percentage...then the MAJORITY need to speak up!"

When The MAJORITY of Muslims were speaking up, against the recent terror attacks where were you? Even the leaders of the mosques didn't pray the funerals for the terrorists. But you missed this?
Terrorists aren't real Muslims but all Muslims are terrorists, right?
W R O N G
When a non-Muslim commits an act of terror he's found to have a mental health problem like Jo Cox' killer & this recent attack.

Are all the English / Welsh going to SPEAK UP now against this crime? Are you going to be expected to explain everything about yourself? No. Are you going to start spying on your friends & family?

Terrorism has no race or religion. You can't kill people & blame it on God because NO religion says that DESPITE what people may lead you to believe. Sick people have twisted the words of God that were sent down to specific people over 1600 years ago.

daphnedill Mon 19-Jun-17 22:26:41

How would anybody stop Twitter? #FinsburyParkMosque was trending in the early hours of this morning for hours. There were videos of the attack and the immediate aftermath. There's no denying what happened.

There were also a lot of very angry people and some racist stuff as well. Without censorship, which most people don't want, I don't see how it can be stopped. As I mentioned before, there were also a number of Muslims telling people to calm down. The perpetrator was held down by some of the people who ha been attending the mosque and there were others keeping the crowd away. If they hadn't done that, I think the van driver would be in a far worse state than he is.

There seems little doubt that it was a planned attack. The van had been hired and he can be heard saying he wants to kill Muslims.

However, I haven't read anything to suggest he was associated with the EDL. That doesn't meant that Tommy Robinson, EDL's former leader, doesn't have some responsibility, because he's been inflaming hatred since the Manchester attack. Of course, he's claiming that his hands are clean - just as Abu Hamza's were hmm.

Anniebach Mon 19-Jun-17 20:31:30

A Darren Osborne was born in Newport 1979

Welshwife Mon 19-Jun-17 20:00:50

Roses have they actually said the man is Welsh? I know he lives in a suburb of Cardiff but that in itself would not necessarily make him Welsh as Cardiff is a very cosmopolitan city.

Sweetness1 Mon 19-Jun-17 19:48:23

Absolutely agree with Birene about the media's response...every emotion being wrung out for our viewing.

Birene Mon 19-Jun-17 19:22:33

Joelsnan- deep commiserations. You are so right about the 'winding up' the media do . Many radio and TV reporters actually sound really excited when something shocking happens and they are then like a dog with a bone and will not quieten down and allow people to grieve with dignity.
No wonder mental health issues are on the rise. So much anxiety being constantly fed. I just have to turn off the TV and radio news after a few minutes because It's making me feel really ill. ?

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 19-Jun-17 18:48:08

Another act of male violence sad

It's an act of terror which was meant to hurt as many members of one of our communities as it could.

Some of the far right propaganda floating round the internet is utterly vile, they want to go back to an England that never existed.

nanaK54 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:48:35

Joelsnanflowers

Elegran Mon 19-Jun-17 17:43:25

But at least the "Not in my name" projects give the lie to those who keep saying that "ordinary" Muslims are not doing enough to distance themselves from the jihadists. In fact, there have been several stements by Muslim groups condemning the attacks.

I am not sure what effect their more proactive confrontation would have - would it get them killed too? That is a lot to ask of them.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Jun-17 17:22:14

From one of Elegran's links (for which thanks):

"Rather than offering such shallow condemnations, we as Muslims need to stop being solely concerned with the image of Islam and Muslims and recognise that challenging jihadists and associated extremists proactively will do more to rehabilitate the image of Islam than shallow ‘not in my name’ statements."

An interesting POV - but one that requires immense and superhuman courage to put into action. He is saying that "not in my name" all too often results in nothing concrete happening - a sense of it is "none of my business."

What a tangled mess things are in world-wide at present.

Anya Mon 19-Jun-17 17:12:54

Joelsnan flowers

Ilovesummer17 Mon 19-Jun-17 17:00:21

Well said Rigby46. Totally unnecessary.

Pamish Mon 19-Jun-17 16:56:46

@ Lillie, because 'revenge' is a justification. It isn't.

Ilovesummer17 Mon 19-Jun-17 16:55:52

Well said Rigby46. totally unnecessary.