Gransnet forums

News & politics

Andrea Leadsom

(88 Posts)
Cindersdad Sat 24-Jun-17 07:02:40

I turned on the BBC News this morning and could not believe what I saw. Andrea Leadsom had the nerve to say that the Media should get behind the Brexit negotiators presenting a united front against the EU. First she reckons that because 42% plus 40% voted for Tory and Labour that gives 82% in favour of a Brexit mandate. As for blaming the media for questioning them that smacks of dictatorship. Harping back to the referendum result which any reasonable person knows was seriously flawed.

How does she tick????

That media has to question government in a democracy, as regards Brexit and other matters they have not been outspoken enough. Which is why government has got away with it for so long.

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 22:47:16

I wish my candidate had lost. sad She has no intention of moving from London. She had an article published in the Evening Standard last week about constituents expecting too much, which has cause uproar, but the idiots will still vote for her. It makes a mockery of democracy.

durhamjen Sun 25-Jun-17 22:41:14

I can't imagine she hung around, having lost. Straight back to London, probably, assuming that's where she came from.

rosesarered Sun 25-Jun-17 22:39:10

She will have her work cut out for her then in your constituency ww

whitewave Sun 25-Jun-17 22:31:30

Truegill

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 22:28:35

oh well WW at least your MP is one who will be happy with the DUP !

whitewave Sun 25-Jun-17 21:34:04

My Tory candidate - she didn't win by the way - believes in the power of prayer to "cure" gaysgrin

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 21:25:05

Even the local Conservative Party is unhappy, which is the only positive aspect, as far as I'm concerned.

daphnedill Sun 25-Jun-17 21:22:46

In my constituency, it wasn't even the local party machine. We had a "list" imposed from central Conservative HQ. One was implicated in electoral fraud, so was discounted. Another was totally hopeless, so the remaining candidate won by default. This is an ultra-safe Tory seat. I went to the hustings before the election and she's clueless. She has no intention of moving to the constituency, even though thousands of people commute to London every day. She has a job for life, if she wants it.

Cindersdad Sun 25-Jun-17 18:54:59

"GillT57" you have a very valid. In a safe seat Labour or Tory the candidates of those parties are almost automatically re-elected irrespective of their calibre.

The local party machine selection committee decide who stands.

whitewave Sun 25-Jun-17 18:50:32

I agree varian. I did feel sorry for his young son. Dressed just like his Dad for an election photograph.

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 18:23:39

Anyone on here live in Rees-Mogg's constituency? Care to justify electing the buffoon?

varian Sun 25-Jun-17 18:09:36

Jacob Rees-Mogg is rarely off the screen these days, he is beginning to rival Farage as media favourite.

It is unfortunate that there seem to be influential people working in the media who regard politics as a branch of entertainment. It encourages controversy for the sake of it, overblown egos and ridicule. These people have a lot to answer for.

mcem Sun 25-Jun-17 16:18:01

Yes indeed. Loved the 'patriotic' approach. Rees Mogg as obnoxious as ever and Patten the clear winner!

whitewave Sun 25-Jun-17 16:17:55

grin

GillT57 Sun 25-Jun-17 16:02:30

Peston was interesting this morning, with the buffoon Rees-Mogg. Did you see his face when Patten launched his polite, articulate tirade against the Tories? Wonderful stuff. Patten for PM I say.

whitewave Sun 25-Jun-17 15:34:19

Did anyone see Peston answer to Loathsome Leadsoms request for more patriotism. grin what a fool that woman is.

Luckygirl Sat 24-Jun-17 19:08:37

Oh heavens no - just not Gove - not now, not ever. How do folk like him finish up where they are?

GillT57 Sat 24-Jun-17 17:56:17

Indeed rigby, such an array of talent! I don't suppose anyone with half a brain would want the job anyway, who wants to go down in history as the fool who lead the United Kingdom into disaster, made the UK a source of mockery and derision in the rest of Europe? I too rooted for TM, Varian because she seemed to be the best of a very bad bunch (Michael Gove, anyone?), and I do feel a certain amount of sympathy for her having to deal with the mess that the slimy bastard David Cameron created and walked away from, all the time dealing with sniping from his ghastly deputy Osborne as he gets his revenge for being sacked.....but...still people like Leadsom blunder on, oblivious to the fact that this is a complete disaster of their making, and then have the audacity to complain when they are questioned. Thank heavens the EU disclose the results of meetings for I think that had they not made it clear that they were going to do so, the Brexiteers in the government would have kept us completely in the dark as to what was happening.

Rigby46 Sat 24-Jun-17 17:21:05

Hard to think of who can replace May though isn't it? What a pool of talent there is arrayed before us.

Rigby46 Sat 24-Jun-17 17:19:57

Hilda good point about the situation in the States. As for Twitter not bring bias free - as others have said, its not meant to be. The beauty of it is that you can ( and I do) follow people with a wide range of political views and therefore avoid the echo chamber of FB ( where I only have a small number of friends, most of whom are left of centre).

HildaW Sat 24-Jun-17 17:17:11

varian...my feelings exactly....lets not wish to get rid of TM until there is a much better alternative! To be honest even the geography teacher (JC) would be better!

varian Sat 24-Jun-17 16:46:50

I remember last year that I was actually rooting for Theresa May to take over as PM - but only because she wasn't Andrea Leadsom.

That is still the only complimentary thing I can think of saying about TM who has proved herself to be weak, ineffectual, vain, controlling without being in control and totally out of her depth - but the Loathsome one is even worse.

Morgana Sat 24-Jun-17 16:46:41

We seem to have lost the ability to organise things in this country - the aftermath of the fire, the B. Vote, the general election, and as to the talks with the rest of the European Union.... The media doesn't help either!

HildaW Sat 24-Jun-17 16:44:35

Its worryingly like the Right wing attitudes in the US....where if you say anything vaguely tolerant or liberal....you are accused of being Anti-American.

whitewave Sat 24-Jun-17 16:28:21

Tell me about it gill my son wholeheartedly agrees with your last sentence. DEFRA and its agencies despaired.