Gransnet forums

News & politics

Macron " Europe has lost it's way". /Tax and spending cuts/Reduce Parliament

(48 Posts)
POGS Tue 04-Jul-17 17:00:22

I was sceptical about Macron I admit but his 'Versailles Speech' yesterday has actually made me think again .

During his so called 'State of the Nation' Speech at Versailles Macron said:-
Quotes.

" The building of Europe has been weakened by the spread of bureaucracy and by the growing scepticism that comes from that.

"The last 10 years have been cruel for Europe"

"We have managed crises but we have lost our way."

“I believe firmly in Europe. But I don’t find the scepticism unjustified.”

"Britain's vote last year to leave the European Union was a "symptom" of a "failure... that we must have the courage to face head-on"

"tyranny of agendas and timelines and technical twists and turns" should be overturned."

“The building of Europe has been weakened by the spread of bureaucracy and by the growing scepticism that comes from that.”

Apart from wanting to reform the EU He also wants to cut the size of the French National Parliament by a third, and put the issue to a referendum if lawmakers did not go along with the plan.

Reform Labour Laws (controversial)

New Anti-Terror Laws.

Tax and Spending cuts. etc. etc.

He is not wasting time is he. Can ' Jupiter ' get what he wants? I think he just might.

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 18:38:12

I think it has to be seen in context,*Maizie*. L'administration is huge and I think most people think it needs cutting back. Some decent IT systems would help. The bureacracy around small businesses is a real impediment. To employ someone in a small business costs 100% of their salary in social charges. This means that you can't employ people. It is really hard to get anyone to do building or electrical work, for example. Real reform is needed.

MaizieD Wed 05-Jul-17 18:27:33

I'm worried about the austerity programme, though. Cutting jobs and making people poorer is not a great idea. Perhaps Macron and his Prime Minister should be directed to Richard Murphy's blog...

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/11/25/austerity-is-dreadful-now-is-the-time-for-post-austerity-economics/

Welshwife Wed 05-Jul-17 17:43:31

Yes-I saw that - they are moving his body - seems Mme de Gaulle is there too.

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 16:57:03

I understand some of the French press are not happy about access, so the stories may come from that. I think he is making a conscious effort to be statesmanlike, but time will tell.
I love the fact that the wonderful Simone Weil wanted to be buried with her late husband so Macron has said they can be buried together in the Panthéon.

Welshwife Wed 05-Jul-17 16:55:08

His wife is getting so much post she has needed to employ a team of 10 to deal with it. She is getting far more than Carla Bruni.

Welshwife Wed 05-Jul-17 16:51:07

I know I French friends don't! They are hoping for good changes.

whitewave Wed 05-Jul-17 16:42:32

John Simpson thinks that many French consider Macron too grand and monarchical - do you get that impression mamie?

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 12:25:43

Exactly that DD.
I think it does Maizie and certainly in that bit of the speech that I quoted. Not something you hear every day though ?. (More like how are your tomatoes, mine have got blight ?).
Very interesting this translation stuff isn't it. I recently wrote course descriptors (a big part of my working life before retirement) for the U3A English classes I am teaching next year. Then I sat down with the teacher from the lycée who does the other courses and ended up completely re-writing them because the way you would describe them in French is completely different. ?

MaizieD Wed 05-Jul-17 11:58:43

The literal translation of 'le cap' is the geographical term 'cape'. As in 'Cape Horn', 'Cape of Good Hope' etc.

In the days of sailing ships if you 'lost your Cape' you could well have been in deep doodoos. Does it have this sort of meaning in French (i.e possibly steering for trouble), Mamie or is it just 'lost your way'?

daphnedill Wed 05-Jul-17 11:23:50

Oops! "to be off course"

daphnedill Wed 05-Jul-17 11:23:13

Thanks for that Mamie. My understanding is that "perdre le cap" is a nautical term meaning something like "to be of course".

I agree with you that there's a subtle difference between the original meaning and the way it's been interpreted.

My understanding of Macron's speech is that the EU has strayed from its purpose and aim, but it's not irrecoverable. It's not a question of losing the plot completely. He seems to be saying that it needs to "go back to basics" and get rid of some of the distractions. I've heard Merkel talk in the same sort of terms. It's ironic and sad that the UK is leaving just as there seems to be a genuine appetitie for reform.

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 10:58:19

For anyone who is interested the Twitter account MacroninEnglish, is worth following.
I love his beautiful clear French - if only everyone spoke like that. ?

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Jul-17 10:56:26

I am growing more and more interested in Macron and I have no idea why.
Where do I begin?

Oh - do you mean politically?

sorry, back to serious discussion.

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 10:38:36

Indeed POGS but my point is that the original words are in French and in context, so the English is not "factual".
Translating and then taking words out of context changes the meaning!

TerriBull Wed 05-Jul-17 10:19:29

I think we are interested POGS because his new party is an alternative to the far left and far right of French politics. We need to give him a chance and see whether he can be a cohesive force in Europe.

whitewave Wed 05-Jul-17 10:08:38

Perhaps his enthusiastic support of the European Market?

POGS Wed 05-Jul-17 09:38:43

Mamie

Thank you for replying.

Yes, I also believe that is his implication but I am sure you understand if one quotes then it must be the factual words used.

I am growing more and more interested in Macron and I have no idea why.

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 05:33:43

It is a subtle distinction but he is talking about the problems the EU has faced in the last ten years and I think "perdre le cap" is better translated as "lost our direction" or even "blown off course".
I shall go and sit in Pedant's Corner now. ?

Mamie Wed 05-Jul-17 05:19:56

Hard to know POGS really. He has said he will consider a referendum if the parliament won't vote for it. I think all the candidates talked about it before the election and I haven't heard a massive outcry about it.
My U3A courses have finished for the summer so I don't get to talk much politics at the moment though!
I wasn't disagreeing with your quotes at all by the way, but I do think some of the English papers reported the "EU has lost its way" out of context.

POGS Tue 04-Jul-17 20:35:00

Mamie

I agree Macron is totally pro EU but the quotes I used from his Versailles Speech are poignant to the ongoing issues surrounding Brexit and reflects the view of many in the 28 EU nation states I would think.. I thought he was being honest in his appraisal and it does him credit. He certainly believes in greater integration of the EU Countries and said " We have never needed Europe more”,

I think Macron is certainly 'getting the ear' of Merkel in particular and I think the French/German partnership is holding fast after his election.

It will be interesting to see what he means by France and Germany would launch “democratic conventions” across Europe by the end of 2017 to discuss the future of the EU. The conventions would take the form of national debates on the EU and would be aimed at “refounding Europe”. Each member state would be “free to sign on or not, but there is no longer time for quick fixes”.

Do you think he will get a 1/3 reduction in National Assembly and the Senate without a fight ? It is quite a big ask .

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Jul-17 20:21:51

But I have just seen something interesting about a 124,000 year old bone found in Germany.

Must read!

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 20:21:19

Oh, um, try bunging in Macron and daily mail

Jalima1108 Tue 04-Jul-17 20:20:00

I am looking online

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 20:19:19

Yes look at Mail online it's there

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 20:17:28

Oh I saw it today, when browsing god knows what!! It may have been Mail online as its different. I'll have a look.