Gransnet forums

News & politics

Acid Attacks

(13 Posts)
Oriel Sat 15-Jul-17 15:12:34

I didn't realise it was so readily available. Perhaps it should have restrictions placed on it in the same way that knives have. Not sure how this could be implemented though.

Eloethan Fri 14-Jul-17 22:26:45

It's easy enough to go into a store like Wickes or Homebase and get some very corrosive/toxic solutions for cleaning out pipes, etc.

Rigby46 Fri 14-Jul-17 22:16:33

The man who allegedly threw the acid at the two cousins has been charged with GBH - that's clearly what it is.

Jalima1108 Fri 14-Jul-17 22:01:20

Companies such as Amazon, Facebook, Google etc really need to sharpen up and start being more socially responsible.

It is a shocking thing to do to another human being. I'm not sure what the perpetrators would be charged with but it does seem like GBH.

petra Fri 14-Jul-17 21:34:55

Oriel
Amazon.

Oriel Fri 14-Jul-17 21:07:20

Just out of interest, where would you buy sulphuric acid?

Rigby46 Fri 14-Jul-17 20:30:17

Apparently these latest acid attacks happened because they were trying to steal their motorbikes/scooters

TerriBull Fri 14-Jul-17 20:14:00

It seems the use of acid in attacks is increasing, it does such damage, such a vile, awful thing to do to another human being. It's too soon to know what was behind the attacks carried out by the teenagers that have been arrested they appear to be very random. Something certainly needs to be done.

I feel the same about the use of laser pens that idiots try to shine in the eyes of pilots to blind them and fools who fly their stupid drones in the vicinity of airports, but that's another subject.

Rigby46 Fri 14-Jul-17 19:28:06

Agree Eloe - didn't they do something about glue years ago?

Eloethan Fri 14-Jul-17 19:13:16

I think they've arrested a teenager.

Maybe if someone wants to purchase this stuff they should have to give photographic proof of their identity and current address, a copy of which is retained by the shop. Even if there are ways of getting round this, I think at least some people would be deterred by measures like this.

Rigby46 Fri 14-Jul-17 19:12:07

But you can make it more difficult as is done with guns and knives - not impossible obviously. its a bit defeatist to think laws don't help

petra Fri 14-Jul-17 18:58:58

TerriBull
All the laws in Christendom won't stop people getting hold of the acid.

TerriBull Fri 14-Jul-17 18:20:23

There have been a spate of acid attacks in the news recently. These appalling crimes often leave irreprable damage to the victim. Under the circumstances should propspective purchasers of sulphuric acid need a licence and a register be kept of those who buy the product. Given the serious nature of this crime what punishment should the perpetrators receive for such a vicious act that leave the victims with life changing consequences.