Gransnet forums

News & politics

How to push your case

(16 Posts)
GracesGranMK2 Sun 30-Jul-17 18:53:08

Keep up the fight!

Cindersdad Tue 25-Jul-17 19:50:55

Nothing to do with the topic in hand but the cruise sails from Liverpool and back to Liverpool. Rugged and Rural Canada on Fred Olsen's Boudicca.

Of course there are points in favour of and against Brexit but on balance the arguments favour staying part of the EU. The biggest problem facing the UK is not Brexit but the consumer debt mountain and the level of government debt. Hefty tax rises sooner or later will happen whoever is in power.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jul-17 19:10:52

I agree Cindersdad that "Brexit means Brexit is utterly devoid of any substance" which is why I've never said it.

I've not seen anyone post that they're glad Cindersdad is going on holiday devongirl. I for one have enjoyed the 2 threads he's started. It's nice to be able to discuss issues where posters can respect another's point of view even though they don't agree.

Hope you get plenty ofsunshineCindersdad and I'm a she by the way.

Ana Tue 25-Jul-17 18:57:44

Not glad - but it's a bit disconcerting when someone says 'I'm off on my hols' and then keeps popping back!

devongirl Tue 25-Jul-17 18:47:14

Cindersdad enjoy your cruise - and I'm sure actually the people who are glad to hear you're going are not the majority!

Ana Tue 25-Jul-17 18:33:01

When are you actually going, Cindersdad?

Cindersdad Tue 25-Jul-17 18:27:38

To Darnsarf and Smilesless2012 you are of course free to promote any causes you care about. I happen not to agree with Smilesless2012 but he/she should be encouraged to put their case and even win us over. "Brexit means Brexit" is utterly devoid of substance.

Cindersdad Tue 25-Jul-17 18:15:26

Thank you all for all good wishes. I shall return on the 14th August. In this topic I have hitherto deliberately avoided taking sides. You all know what I think about Brexit. You can twist statistics on most things to show the results you agree with. What really makes Brexit so different is the number of blatant lies told especially by the leave campaign. A referendum based on lies is not democratic and at least needs to be rerun when the full facts are known. A lot of damage has already been done to the economy because of Brexit, a hard Brexit would reduce our status in the world further.

GillT57 Tue 25-Jul-17 15:10:37

Have a fab holiday.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jul-17 15:06:45

Darnsarfgrin

Darnsarf Tue 25-Jul-17 15:05:20

I completely misunderstood the title of the OP because I thought it was offering advice on how to push your suit case! Had me quite interested there for a minute.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jul-17 14:47:40

Funny how you only seem to believe in "democracy in action" when that action is to overturn the wish of the majority who voted for Brexit GG.

whitewave Tue 25-Jul-17 09:48:15

Enjoy yourself cinders and come back refreshed ready to take on the world!! Well at least the Brextremists. smile

GracesGranMK2 Tue 25-Jul-17 08:30:56

You will be missed Cindersdad, by those of us who believe in democracy in action and are glad to see someone who is pursuing it. Have a wonderful break.

Alima Tue 25-Jul-17 08:27:43

It is not often I agree with you! Have a lovely time. (Is it one of those round the world cruises which is away for 100 days?)

Cindersdad Tue 25-Jul-17 08:21:14

I’ve been grumbling may be too much about Brexit urging you to write to your MP’s. There are in addition to the official parliament several sites giving you details about how to contact your MP and how they have voted on issues.

Many MP’s prefer posted letters to Emails. Most will only respond to their own constituents.

www.results.org.uk/guides/how-write-your-mp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI59SUtumj1QIVD7cbCh2XnQeUEAAYASAAEgJaO_D_BwE

To find out how your MP voted on different issues.

www.mysociety.org/wehelpyou/who-is-your-mp/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI59SUtumj1QIVD7cbCh2XnQeUEAAYAiAAEgJ1bfD_BwE

To contact your MP through the official parliamentary website or find their correct postal address

www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

The official site also has useful links to other government services. I don't expect you to respond to the topic just to reference it as you think fit.

The majority of you will be pleased to know that my involvement in Gransnet is about to take a break as I'm going on a cruise when internet access is unreliable and very expensive.