Gransnet forums

News & politics

Severn Crossing Tolls to be abolished

(30 Posts)
Cindersdad Wed 26-Jul-17 09:57:38

This is a good move for South Wales but what about other river crossings. The Humber Bridge and the Mersey Crossings are both tolled. On Merseyside both tunnels have tolls and now upstream the bridges at Runcorn are to be tolled as well.

Again it's one rule in the South and another for the North.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 21:12:14

although I think that the money is needed for the upkeep because I doubt that the Highways Agency would cough up.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 21:10:28

Have a nie cruise Cindersdad, then come back refreshed and start a campaign to have tolls taken off all bridges and tunnels!

We pay enough in road tax, sorry, the vehicle licence fee.

Even the quirky little toll at Batheaston costs 70p! Each way.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 21:06:38

Guess who's been reading too The Three Billy Goats Gruff umpteen times this week...
There be trolls under them there bridges. Don't look if you're driving though.

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 20:58:13

London already has the congestion charge!

Cindersdad Wed 26-Jul-17 20:25:17

Oh dear! For the record I live just outside Liverpool. The first Mersey Road Tunnel was opened in the 1930's, the second Tunnel in the 1970's. The first Runcorn bridge was opened around 1960 and free of tolls, the second is about to open. The first tunnel was supposed to be free when it was paid for, but charges were kept to pay for the second tunnel. Tolls are to be introduced on both Runcorn Bridges. The nearest "free" Mersey crossing is through a congested Warrington or along the M6.

I don't see it ever being toll free. Back in the 1950's it cost !/6 (7 and a half p) in the old tunnel and now the cost is £1.70 each way.

Perhaps all the Bridges across the Thames in London should have tolls! Imagine the furor!

Nandalot Wed 26-Jul-17 19:48:26

That's how I read it too LaraGransnet!

LadyGracie Wed 26-Jul-17 19:28:00

I may get more visitors when the toll is removed - best start planning a move!

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 17:39:54

No, you didn't paddyann ....apologies, I had meant to adress that to Cindersdad who perhaps lives in Scotland.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Jul-17 17:15:01

I misread that as Seven Crossing Trolls. Guess who's been reading too The Three Billy Goats Gruff umpteen times this week...

paddyann Wed 26-Jul-17 15:17:50

antway I didn't mention or use the word SOUTH

paddyann Wed 26-Jul-17 15:17:03

by definition rosesarered anything SOUTH of the border IS south

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 13:41:27

paddy was not just talking about the Forth Bridge, but all toll bridges in Scotland.

MaizieD Wed 26-Jul-17 13:38:10

Scotland can presumably afford to abolish toll bridges

The toll on the Forth Road Bridge was 'sold' as contributing to the cost of building it. As the article I mentioned earlier said, building costs were paid off in 1993. Presumably in that case they can 'afford' it because there's nothing left to pay off.

rosesarered Wed 26-Jul-17 13:29:20

Wales is definitely not in the south paddyann but maybe if you are in Scotland you think anything south of the border is south.
Scotland can presumably afford to abolish toll bridges, it would be nice to here, but with so many people using them, can't see it happening any time soon.

paddyann Wed 26-Jul-17 13:20:41

Tolls in Scotland were all abolished a few years ago,it does make a difference if you're crossing a bridge two or more times a day ,it all adds up over the year to a tidy sum ,and people who didn't use the bridge before because of the cost save time on the road every day by using it ..it also takes the pressure off the surrounding roads too.Its a win win inmy experience

Anniebach Wed 26-Jul-17 11:07:47

South Wales is one of the poorest parts of the country, we need employment so we need companies to come here .

As for costs of houses, not high in Merthyr or the Rhondda

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:31:42

They only did that under pressure when that golf tournament was held at the Celtic Manor Welshwife!

Welshwife Wed 26-Jul-17 10:24:53

It was said for a long time that the tolls would be abolished either this y ear or next when the bridge was paid for. I think the French company had financial input in the building costs.

They only recently upgraded the crossing booths so they would accept credit cards!

mostlyharmless Wed 26-Jul-17 10:22:14

My youngest DD lives very close to the Severn Bridge and she and her husband cross the bridge regularly to and from work. So it should be good news for them?
Yes they should save money but..... they are trying to buy a bigger house and fear they will be out priced as their town becomes, in effect, a commuter suburb for Bristol. Also they worry about local roads becoming gridlocked (even more often than now) by the extra traffic.
It should be a good boost to the economy of South Wales, but needs careful planning for extra homes and new roads which will inevitably take years to materialise. What do other people in South Wales think?

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:20:39

I was hoping you'd join us anniebach, from affluent South Wales!
I need some backup.

Anniebach Wed 26-Jul-17 10:18:04

Wales is not in the South of England

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:17:49

Ps before any pedants pick me up I will write out 500 times:
Vehicle licence

grin

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:15:06

Perhaps if someone had to pay £6.70 per day to get to work they may mind!
Or even to get to see the DGC.

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:12:26

I am not sure if you could include Wales in 'the South' and this could help the Welsh economy enormously when it happens.

We went over the Humber bridge recently and it was £1.50 for a car - the Severn crossings are £6.70 for a car going up to £20 for a lorry.
The Severn River Crossing plc is French-owned too but I think the contract runs out next year.

Personally, I don't think there should be any tolls on bridges or tunnels - we pay enough in vehicle license fees and much of it is not spent on the roads.

MaizieD Wed 26-Jul-17 10:09:41

Mind you, I see from Wikipedia that the Forth Road Bridge was paid for by 1993 yet the tolls weren't removed until 2008 I must've spent a fortune on that bridge