Gransnet forums

News & politics

"Dr Seuss books steeped in racist propaganda ...

(15 Posts)
petra Mon 09-Oct-17 11:20:39

So, the books were ok when Michelle Obama read them to school children but not ok for Mrs Trump to give away.

hildajenniJ Mon 09-Oct-17 11:16:30

My grandson is learning to read with Dr Seuss. My DD bought "Hop on Pop" for him as a first reader. He has autism and a speech delay, is seven years old and hasn't shown any interest in reading until just recently. He can now read Hop on Pop.? There is no reason to refuse Dr Seuss. Neither is there any reason to ban it on the grounds that it encourages violence!nationalpost.com/posted-toronto/dr-seuss-book-hop-on-pop-does-not-encourage-violence-against-fathers-libary-says-in-rejecting-ban-request

BlueBelle Mon 09-Oct-17 06:00:02

Oh dear having been on the bad end of racism many times I d have never connected Dr Seuss with racism ....in what context ?
I too like these books and particularly liked the Sneetches and used to read them to my kids to promote inclusion and equality dahhhh

Eloethan Mon 09-Oct-17 00:24:39

I've just seen this thread and am quite perplexed. I agree with the points made by maryeliza about underfunded US schools and the fairly ridiculous idea that donating one books is going tomake a lot of difference.

However, I love Dr Seuss books - especially Cat in the Hat and The Lorax - and read them regularly to my grandchildren. I have never thought there was an underlying racist theme to them and really don't understand on what grounds this claim is made.

maryeliza54 Fri 29-Sep-17 18:46:24

Best leave them to it, after all, there is no serious point to make about appallingly underfunded schools in swathes of the USA and a disgustingly wealthy POTUS/FLOTUS who can apparently only afford to send books to one school in each state and make the choice with no discussion as to need or suitability with the schools themselves. Reminds me of Gove sending a bible to every school when children were sharing basic textbooks. #allaboutme

FarNorth Fri 29-Sep-17 18:36:00

Not when we can all have a great time making silly remarks, No, maryeliza.

maryeliza54 Fri 29-Sep-17 18:33:25

Farnorth I think that was the main point actually but that was never going to make the headlines was it?

MawBroon Fri 29-Sep-17 18:31:55

FFS!!

gillybob Fri 29-Sep-17 18:31:37

My 3 adore Cat in the Hat. Book and film .

Grannyknot Fri 29-Sep-17 18:29:44

Funny thing is, I used to read The Sneetches and the "stars on thars" to my children to teach them about equality. It's a world gone crazy.

FarNorth Fri 29-Sep-17 18:29:05

The librarian also made the point that her school didn't need the books, and that there are other schools more in need of donations.

gillybob Fri 29-Sep-17 18:28:28

Oh for god sake !

Someone needs to send thing 1 and thing 2 round to "sort her out" .

Primrose65 Fri 29-Sep-17 18:22:12

I imagine she is now drowning in Green Eggs and Ham quotes in the Twittersphere.

grannyactivist Fri 29-Sep-17 17:43:22

The letter of rejection is given in full here:
www.newsweek.com/melania-trumps-gift-books-rejected-elementary-school-librarian-673788?utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Grannyknot Fri 29-Sep-17 17:31:36

caricatures and harmful stereotypes".

Really? shock

Here's the link to the news story:

twitter.com/i/moments/913773611655286784