Gransnet forums

News & politics

Paradise Papers

(268 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 06-Nov-17 00:18:37

Thanks to a leak of financial documents I think we shall see many chickens coming home to roost in the near future. One of the first to be held to account is Lord Ashcroft. His spokesman, Alan Kilkenny, said the peer had never engaged in tax evasion, abusive tax avoidance or tax avoidance using artificial structures, and “any suggestion or implication that he has will be vigorously challenged”.
However, if you or I (assuming that you are not a multi millionaire politician) dealt with our tax affairs in the same way as he seems to have done I suspect we might be investigated by HMRI.

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 21:17:20

If Brexit is all about taking back control of our finances, etc., why are all these Brexiteers sending all this money to tax havens.
Shouldn't they put their money where their mouths are?

www.theguardian.com/news/2017/nov/09/brexiters-put-money-offshore-tax-haven

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 21:12:19

821,000 signatures now.

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 21:08:14

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017/11/12/too-good-on-trumps-tax-plan-not-to-share/

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 15:44:24

secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/paradise_papers_loc/?ckHcnjb

It now has 758,000+ signatures.

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 12:00:36

theconversation.com/three-strategies-to-fight-the-tax-avoidance-revealed-by-the-paradise-papers-87002

Why would public disclosure of tax affairs be commercially sensitive? Unless, of course, the bog multinationals don't want the public to know that they are fiddling their taxes?

"The first strategy is to require the public disclosure of country by country reporting of company tax affairs (CbCR). This idea comes out of the OECD’s action plan on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS). It would increase tax transparency by requiring corporations to make specific disclosures on the tax paid in different countries, by project and region. "

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 11:45:52

For anyone who wants to influence where their council invests their pension pot, if you have a council pension, you can start here to influence them.

gofossilfree.org/uk/fuellingthefire/

Assuming, of course, that you do not want your council to invest in fossil fuels and make climate change worse.

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 10:30:08

theconversation.com/how-the-paradise-papers-reveal-the-tension-between-rock-stars-and-the-tax-man-86999

durhamjen Sat 11-Nov-17 09:35:27

"While it is legal to organise finances in this way, we must question the ethics of a system that makes the ultra-rich richer and leads to growing inequality around the world. This goes to the fundamental nature of how we believe society should function.

If we focus on the harm of tax avoidance to society, rather than how it is legally defined, then we can see that it contributes to growing inequality, increases tax burdens on resident taxpayers and undermines state legitimacy. Furthermore, the government’s accommodation of those structures that facilitate tax avoidance can also be misused by those looking to conceal criminal monies. For example, the UK has seen large investment from companies based in offshore tax havens into its property market, with suspicious wealth being used to buy high-end properties in London especially.

Tax avoidance not only shifts funds away from the public purse – which is even more pertinent in times of budgetary austerity and economic uncertainty (think Brexit) – but also undermines perceived social fairness. There is an improper transfer of money away from public goods.

Yet despite some political rhetoric outlining its deleterious effect, it is not being addressed with sufficient rigour. The UK – which has sovereignty over a number of the offshore states – has made a number of pledges to tackle tax avoidance – but this has not been followed by punitive, enforcement action.

A unitary tax regime – which treats a multinational business as a single entity in tax terms – may be one solution. But until there is a legal requirement for all avoidance schemes to be formally approved by the state before their use (rather than closed down after they are discovered), there will remain scope for tax entrepreneurs to avoid their liabilities."

From an article by a criminologist in The Conversation.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 23:02:34

Have you not heard of pension freedom, sunseeker?

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 22:19:00

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 20:00:20

Very funny djen
I like your GSOH!

sunseeker Fri 10-Nov-17 22:16:32

dj I think there is a misunderstanding. Most people pay into a private pension for years in order to receive a pension when they retire. These pensions are paid by the large insurance companies and most people would have no control, or even any idea, of where the money had been invested. I am pleased you have managed to invest your pension pot in ethical funds.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 21:23:10

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41893764

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 21:19:10

Anyone else find this funny?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41945982

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 20:16:28

On the other hand, maybe she does and is proud of it.

www.opendemocracy.net/neweconomics/queen-cayman-islands/

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 20:00:20

I didn't realise that you were suggesting that the government invests our money in tax havens.
Are you really suggesting that, Jalima? How do you know?
Does the queen, of HMRC status, know?

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:32:06

No, it's not a SIPP, and I can't be bothered to justify myself any more.
Not asking you to justify yourself djen, it is just that you keep telling the rest of us to check where our pensions (if any, of course) are invested.

I will ask the Government about my pittance. I may be surprised.

jura2 Fri 10-Nov-17 17:54:01

My 'it doesn't work' was, just a typo correction (I mistakenly typed 'he' in the previous post) - of course it works- that was clear in my post, and it is so so simple.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 17:17:43

Thanks, lemongrove. My husband had to die when he was 65 for me to have as much money as I have.
No, it's not a SIPP, and I can't be bothered to justify myself any more.
Suffice it to say my pension pot is invested in ethical funds, and I am not surprised at where they are invested. I can change it when I want if the company changes how it invests, and none of it is invested in tax havens.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:42:18

Or one is instructing one's financial adviser where one wishes to invest one's wealth?

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:41:15

Yes, but it sounds as if you have a SIPP?
Or an annuity which you chose yourself

Perhaps I should have phrased my post thus:
How can one choose where one's pension fund is invested unless it is a SIPP? or one is drawing income from self-invested savings over the years?

(no-one said he was lying btw confused)

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 16:36:02

You may be surprised where the money is invested.

lemongrove Fri 10-Nov-17 16:35:20

Lucky you durhamjen having so much money ( or any money) to invest.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 16:18:18

Oh, so my pension provider is lying to me when he tells me where my pension pots are invested, is he?
He'd better not be, considering the length of the forms I had to fill in to tell him what he could and couldn't invest my money in.

Jalima1108 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:02:45

I know about ethical savings djen and can choose for (myself if I had anything to save that is) but I would not be able to choose where my pension has been invested - it is up to the pension fund administrators and trustees.

durhamjen Fri 10-Nov-17 15:57:48

Look up ethical pensions, Jalima.