Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where are the good people in power?

(105 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 10-Nov-17 09:56:01

I have just listened to Desert Island Discs with Phil Scranton. The contrast between him, his dignity, compassion, morality ,courage and love for his fellow human beings and the sorry excuse we have for a Government, lying and scheming all in their own self interest could not be sharper.

Day6 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:22:10

In fact blueskies your statement about George Galloway, above, paints him in a very unfavourable light. Be careful ! grin

GG wouldn't have gone into politics if he couldn't take the flak. I am sure he hasn't the time, money or the inclination to be scouring the internet to rake up comments on old stories which did him no favours a few years ago. Politicians have a much thicker skin - or learn to grow one, because they need it.

Day6 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:12:09

What a strange thing to say blueskies

Well he'll have to sue the Scottish papers then won't he? Or Gransnet. There aren't enough hours in the day to take to court every person having their say regarding figures in the public eye, especially as we now have social media and internet fora and writers doing just that.

blueskies Mon 13-Nov-17 13:07:26

Just a gentle reminder to anyone posting that GEORGE GALLOWAY always sues when people make untrue defamotary statements about him. Many know that to their cost.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 12:42:48

paddyann you call England ‘ not liking a foreign government running our ( Scotland) country, yet you are happy for the EU to do so.
Sad really, since we don’t think of Scotland as ‘foreign’ but as a beautiful and integral part of the United Kingdom.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 12:39:37

Well said Day6

Day6 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:26:20

Blueskies regarding Galloway.

So much for 'charity'. He funded the running of his own office and a middle eastern concern aiding Palestine with his Big Brother fee.

"Galloway has drawn scorn for degrading politics and failing to represent his Bethnal Green constituents in the House of Commons when they needed him during a key transport vote."

After the humiliating Big Brother event Galloway had to write a cheque to THE TAXPAYER given he earned £150000 for his appearance in the show, where he admitted his favourite pastimes were sex and sunbathing.

People were outraged that he had taken time off from PAID Parliamentary duties to appear in a tacky 'celebrity' show.

He was shamed into repaying his salary. Not so noble really, eh?

As for charity -

"George's cut of the phone lines (charges) will go to InterPal, a British-based pro-Palestine charity aiding Palestinians. His fee will go to the running of Respect and his constituency office."

Hmmmm.

So much for two men in politics who 'can't be bought'.

www.heraldscotland.com/news/12443409.Galloway__pledge_to_pay_back_taxpayers_apos__money_to_cover_absence_BIG_BROTHER__MP_apos_S_ADVISER_SPEAKS_Housemate_was_unprepared_for__apos_full_horror_apos__of_show/

Day6 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:05:30

Blueskies - This is what Corbyn supports.

"Hamas is a Palestinian Islamist political organization and militant group that has waged war on Israel since the group's 1987 founding, most notably through suicide bombings and rocket attacks. It seeks to replace Israel with a Palestinian state. "

Hamas's charter calls for the destruction of Israel.

Labour has been accused of being hostile or prejudiced against Jews. It's no wonder Labour under Corbyn has been called anti-Semetic.

blueskies Mon 13-Nov-17 11:45:15

I thought everyone knew by now that George Galloway gave all of his Big Brother fee to charity. He does get a strange press from many who have a certain agenda. They pop up every time his name is mentioned. Oh and by the way Hamas was democratically elected and I'm sure you know that.

paddyann Sun 12-Nov-17 22:50:42

lilyflower your level of ignorance about Alex Salmond is quite breathtaking .Can I suggest you find out some FACTS about the man .Is he a quisling in your eyes because he doesn't like a foreign government running OUR country ? Isn't that why ENGLAND voted to leave the EU? So is it one rule for England and the rest of us should just shut up and put yup with being less than second class citizens.What Alex will do on RT is tell the truth ...thats something the BBC stopped doing decades ago.

gagsy Sun 12-Nov-17 21:06:00

My father was in politics when your expenses were your ticket from your constituency to London and back and any gifts you received were returned!

W11girl Sun 12-Nov-17 20:18:13

I wholeheartedly agree about Phil Scranton... I hung on his every word. So humble. Haven't heard this from anyone in public life for a very long time. What a breath of fresh air...we need to hear and see more of him to bring us all back down to earth! including Alex Salmond!

Anniebach Sun 12-Nov-17 18:42:43

A teenager could attack Johnson, he is the perfect aunt sally.

I cannot agree Corbyn has stuck by his principles , he does not have any .

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 18:30:36

Someone needed to put Johnson in his place,JessM, which is not representing us in the foreign office. Too many people think he is a laughing stock.

JessM Sun 12-Nov-17 18:10:46

Have to admit to a soft spot for Ed Milliband who seems to be principled and good hearted. He's got the maturity and sense to behave with dignity since he stepped down as party leader. Gordon Brown also a man of impeccable principles and does not undermine the democratically elected leader of his party. Love him or hate him, Jeremy Corbyn has stuck by his principles over the years, even when under extreme pressure. I think he is genuinely caring, humble and compassionate and was very surprised to win the election for party leadership. Since then he has surprised many by how he has grown into the role. In attacking Boris Johnson today in the press he had unsheathed his claws and surprised people again. Throughout the election campaign I don't think he once descended into personal insults of any kind against his opponents.

Fennel Sun 12-Nov-17 17:52:13

Annie - I don't agree with you about Blair.

Anniebach Sun 12-Nov-17 15:56:03

I don't think Thatcher or Blair would have crossed the floor just to be a party leader. I could be mistaken but the only Party leader in recent years who crossed the floor was Churchill and he did it more than once

Anniebach Sun 12-Nov-17 15:37:24

Selling arms is wrong.

Supporting one group of our own countrymen who were killing our own country men is evil. What harm did the people of Birmingham do just having a drink in a pub, or of Enniskillen do to be blown up when only taking part a Remembrance Day service .

Wonder if this seeker of peace though of enniskillen when he laid a wreath at the cenotaph this morning. The man who was going to bring a kinder politics to us.

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 10:48:36

Shows how bad things have become, Skweek, when you can even doubt Obama's incorruptibility.

Skweek1 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:43:44

DH was at uni at St Andrews and knew Alex S quite well - sadly didn't find him remotely credible, as he never thought things through before opening his mouth.

Skweek1 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:40:25

I was politically active in the 80s, and we still had altruistic would-be local politicians, but since Maggie and Blair we have only "career politicians" who don't care what party they represent, only which will get them into power. Show me a politician (anywhere in the world) and I'll show you someone who you should never vote for! Corrupt, self-seeking, out for themselves. Actually I do respect Obama, about whom I've never heard anything doubtful, but I even wonder if he is as white as he seems!

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 09:47:51

The Tory government supports people who have caused all the killing in Yemen by selling weapons to them.
How brave is that?

Anniebach Sun 12-Nov-17 03:12:11

Corbyn brave?

The politician who supported the people who killed the innocent at Enniskillen and ,took money from Irans state tv

As for Galloway

youtu.be/KQA2X4yvK_g

Day6 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:12:30

JEREMY Corbyn and GEORGE Galloway are both so brave and refreshing

Neither one can be bought.

You think so blueskies?

You don't remember Galloway's cringe-worthy appearance on Big Brother where he pretended to be a cat? He was paid.

"George Galloway plumbed new depths when he pretended to be a cat as part of a task set for him during his appearance on the television show Celebrity Big Brother.
The Repect Party MP, who last year lambasted the United States Senate over the war in Iraq, crouched on all fours, purring and licking imaginary milk from the hands of the actress Rula Lenska.

She then rubbed the "cream" from his "whiskers" and stroked his head and behind his ears before he put his head on her lap.
Mr Galloway, 51, faced an immediate backlash from residents of his Bethnal Green and Bow constituency, east London, who voted for him last May.
He further angered conservative Muslims, who make up the bulk of his support, when he told his housemates, including glamour models, entertainers and minor pop stars, that his favourite pursuits were sex and sunbathing."

James Sibthorp, 47, who runs a cab company in the constituency, said: "It is an insult to local people that we've got our MP acting like a fool pretending to be a cat. I hope he stays in there even longer so that people realise who they have voted for - a self-publicist with a big ego."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1507771/Galloway-loses-respect-with-cat-charade.html

As for Corbyn, well...

"Jeremy Corbyn, friend to Hamas, Iran and extremists

If Jeremy Corbyn wins, (he did) Labour will be in the extraordinary position of having a leader with among the most extensive links in Parliament to terrorists"

And as mentioned before he took money for appearing in broadcasts on Iranian state TV - Press TV.

"Jeremy Corbyn has defended himself after being branded a “hypocrite” for criticising other countries’ dire human rights record while taking money from the Iranian government.

The Labour leader excused pocketing up to £20,000 for appearances on Iran’s state broadcaster."

Hmmmm. Refreshing? I think not.

Cindersdad Sat 11-Nov-17 22:52:07

I believe that there are many good people in all parties it's just that the referendum brought the bad ones to the fore. The good ones need to stand up for us.

If the Tory party does not expunge the far right it will be finished at the next election which could come sooner rather than later.

POGS Sat 11-Nov-17 22:40:01

I watch RT, formerly Russia Today and I have mentioned it on several occasions on GN threads but I have also been clear I knew that whilst it provided some good reports it was also deemed to be a Russian State media machine and to be viewed with the full understanding it was obviously looking through the lenses of possible propaganda.

Whilst there are MP's and commentators from all parties from time to time it is however blatently favourable to the left of UK politics but that would be pretty obvious given the politics of Russia. It certainly gives a lot of air space to Labour MP's.

www.politico.eu/article/putin-messaging-machine-propaganda-russia-today-media-war/

Labour Lord Adonis has recently been critical of fellow Labour MP's for appearing on RT .

Labour MP Tom Watson isn't altogether happy with RT at the moment either.

The SNP are not too hot on the idea either.

www.scotsman.com/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-distances-herself-from-alex-salmond-s-rt-show-1-4610054

I will be interested to watch however and I am interested to read it is reported as Salmond will front the show but former SNP MP Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh will produce the programme and take on a role as a roving reporter.. Interesting stuff, maybe.