Gransnet forums

News & politics

I see the EU Remainers' PROJECT FEAR is alive and well.

(1001 Posts)
Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:54:27

I look forward to us leaving the EU.

The scare-mongering Remainers write post after post predicting how awful it will be. (Yes, predicting...)

Anyone would think we were incapable of knowing right from wrong and desperately in need of Brussels to guide us, to make our laws, to impose trading tariffs, generally control us, tell us who we have to accept into the country and take BILLIONS from us for the privilege of that control.

Project Fear - we have recognised it.

We need to get on with leaving the EU, pronto, but Remainers delight in the delays, mostly caused by terrified EU officials worried about EU budgets and the UK forging ahead without it's stranglehold.

Optimism rules. Let's bin Project Fear. We see it for what it is.

nigglynellie Thu 14-Dec-17 12:37:45

According to D.C., he was triggering Article 50 the very next day after the referendum AND stay in office whatever the result?!! Instead, he ran away and didn't trigger article 50!

eazybee Thu 14-Dec-17 12:15:04

Oh, I would think Anna Soubry has another agenda entirely. The lashings of heavy eye makeup, bouffant hair and inappropriate clothing (scarlet pixie boots and black lacy tops) suggest she is heading for Strictly in the footsteps of Ed Balls.

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 12:03:32

Greta a lot of people may have believed ( who knows) the lies about the Armageddon that would be unleashed if we did vote to leave the EU, put about by the Remain camp and Osborne who said ‘ an emergency budget would have to be put in place the very next day’!
Leave the lies told by both sides behind....we have moved on and Brexit will happen, hopefully one that heals the divisions between both sides.

Primrose65 Thu 14-Dec-17 12:01:27

Jura, you're arguing the point really with someone who isn't currently posting.
I'm simply pointing out what has happened recently to me and how others perceived it, so that no one feels bullied on this forum. You really can't tell someone else how they feel about something!
Surely that's not unreasonable when someone has already said they consider it bullying. Would you not stand up and at least alert people in that situation? I cannot condone bullying, even if the person doing it believes they are 'in the right'.
We all need to be aware of how our words impact others.

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 11:58:29

I would agree with your last paragraph jura but it was GG and not me that thought differently.
I ignore all demanding posts, usually asked by posters who simply don’t agree and are looking for an arguement.

mostlyharmless Thu 14-Dec-17 11:54:46

The BBC news website and the BBC news app shows the front covers of most daily papers everyday.
And as jura2 says, the front pages can be seen in shops, cafes, petrol stations, train stations everywhere.

Greta Thu 14-Dec-17 11:52:36

”There were lies, told by both sides but I don’t think people were so dim as to believe them”.
I'm afraid people were so 'dim' as to believe the Leavers' lies. Perhaps 'naive' and 'unenlightened' are better words. What is worse, I also believe many people attribute everything they are unhappy about to our membership of the EU. The mantra ”Take back control” sounds positive and empowering. I remember vividly what the UK was like when we had 'control': sick man of Europe. I'm worried we're heading back to those days.

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:44:08

Never said it was not true.

You don't need to read the DM to see the front page - they are everywhere, at the supermarket, the local shop, at Costas, etc.

Of course many put strong opinions here - my point is, that asking for the reasoning for said opinion- is NOT bullying at all. Either you put strong opinions and are prepared for others to respond and ask for clarification, if said strong opinion gives no reasons - or you don't.

lemongrove Thu 14-Dec-17 11:26:37

It’s completely true that GG said that to Primrose ( who apologised to GG if she felt it was bullying) I will find the thread.
All I know of the DM is what I read on here, posted by left wing members. Why would I bother to read rags?Do they also read the Sun and the Mirror I wonder, and if so why?
.....and of course others never put strong opinions bordering on rudeness or insult on GN. wink

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 11:18:23

Absolutely and totally agree. However, if people are prepared to put very strong opinions, often bordering on rudeness or insult (which could really be perceived as bullying - just spent a while re-reading, for example, Day6 and Lemongrove's recent posts) - then they should be prepared to stand by their comments and explain their reasons.

Primrose65 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:45:25

Maizie It was GracesGran who brought it to my attention that it's bullying.
I didn't question it at all - if someone tells me they feel bullied, I don't start trying to undermine their opinion.
It occurred to me that other people might feel the same way but not feel comfortable for whatever reason to post it.
I'm sure nobody here wants to behave in a way that might make people feel bullied online.

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:20:42

So, one person decided it was - not quite convincing, sorry.

I am just another person, and I believe it is not.

Either you give opinions and you are prepared to stand by them and give reasons for your beliefs- or you don't. Especially if the person is quite happy to make derogatory comments about other points of view, individuals or groups of people. Sorry.

MaizieD Thu 14-Dec-17 10:14:27

Who decided?

See Primrose's 9.20 post above

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:11:13

Well, then don't expect me to respect the opinions of anyone who is not prepared to stand by them and give their reasons.

Who decided it is 'bullying' ? If Gransnet would like to clarify the situation happy to hear from them.

MaizieD Thu 14-Dec-17 09:59:21

The only lie that I feel could be justifiably ascribed to the Remain campaign is that Armageddon would happen on 24th June if there were a No vote.

And you're not allowed to ask lemon a direct question as that seems to have become 'bullying' here on Gnet.grin
(she'll never give you an answer, any way. You should know that by now)

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:43:27

On Thurs 23rd of November, Lemongrove wrote:

'Hilarious that Leavers are seen as ‘deluded’ and Remainers not , the truth is that nobody is deluded,was fooled etc that is all wishful thinking.
We all had a vote and thought about which way to go, but if remainers continue to think that , then those of us who voted to leave will have to think that they are deluded too and believed all the project fear stuff.
There were lies, told by both sides but I don’t think people were so dim as to believe them.,

We all know the massive lies of the leave side, you know, like 350 million for the NHS and many more, like it would be very easy, and so on- but I'd like you Lemon to list any lies told by the remain side. Not a single leaver has ever been able to give me on, which has not proven to turn out to be true?

MaizieD Thu 14-Dec-17 09:40:33

it was established on another thread by GracesGran that asking people directly for an opinion is actually bullying.

I don't believe you, Primrose. GG2 has always struck me as being too sensible for that sort of snowflakery.

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:35:52

Thank you for that - but I have to say I do not agree. If people keep making strong and comments about a subject, they should be prepared to say why.

mostlyharmless Thu 14-Dec-17 09:27:09

The Daily Mail front page is shocking.
Naming the "self-consumed malcontents" and accusing them of treachery and betrayal complete with photos - isn't that stirring up hatred and inviting violence against the MPs?
Isn't there a code of ethics they are breaking? I would be embarrassed if I were Theresa May, to have the Daily Mail on my side.

Primrose65 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:20:34

jura you may have missed it but it was established on another thread by GracesGran that asking people directly for an opinion is actually bullying. I didn't realise this either but I immediately apologised to her.

jura2 Thu 14-Dec-17 09:06:33

lemongrove - what do you personally think of the front cover of the Daily Mail today? Have you seen it?

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 09:04:44

Stephen not John

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 09:03:43

I see John Hammond has been sacked for voting for parliamentary sovereignty.

So you get sacked for upholding values such as the belief in parliamentary sovereignty, but not for lying to parliament.

Something rotten in this government.

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 08:39:04

Anna Soubry sends a message of a Merry Christmas.

Indeed - and well done Anna

whitewave Thu 14-Dec-17 08:36:25

Now this is about Brexit

Day 14 of the Brexit Advent Calender

WTO countries are lining up to block U.K. attempts at trade negotiations

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion