Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump plumbs new depths

(183 Posts)
maryeliza54 Tue 28-Nov-17 07:55:07

I know, it hardly seems possible does it but here you go.

www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/us/politics/trump-elizabeth-warren-pocahontas-navajo.html

Not only is it another racist comment about Elizabeth Warren but to do it at an event honouring Navajo veterans would beggars belief (if it weren’t Trump that is).

Morgana Wed 13-Dec-17 20:30:11

Maybe we can hope the Americans are coming to their senses.

varian Wed 13-Dec-17 19:14:02

Alabama just voted Democrat. Doug Jones, who has fearlessly prosecuted members of the KKK, is not just a Democrat, but was described by Trump as a "Liberal Democrat", just about the worst political insult in Trump' litany of insults - and the people of Alabama, including many who had always voted Republican, elected him. Brilliant!!!

jura2 Wed 13-Dec-17 18:28:09

When

Alabama

votes Republican - you KNOW things are changing and fast. Restored my faith in humanity - at least for a while, today.

Tegan2 Wed 13-Dec-17 18:26:33

Americans have had the sense to disregard the Farage buffoon; we are the only nation that has allowed itself to be duped by his ideas.

whitewave Wed 13-Dec-17 16:40:25

grin

AlieOxon Wed 13-Dec-17 16:32:31

And a red face?

whitewave Wed 13-Dec-17 14:11:19

Just reading that Farage had gone over there to campaign for Moore. Of course Bannon was supporting Moore and Farage is brown nosing Bannon, so acquired some brownie points

AlieOxon Wed 13-Dec-17 11:48:31

That's great - and could make real difficulties for trump....

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Dec-17 10:05:08

Oh good! Well, there were some very sensible women on the news last night who called themselves Republicans for Doug Jones (or something like that).
I was tired and trying to keep my eyes open at the time.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 13-Dec-17 09:36:46

I didn't think it would happen. A tiny bit of good news.

NotTooOld Wed 13-Dec-17 09:12:54

An excellent piece of news. It has made my day. Could we be seeing the beginning of the end for Trump?

varian Wed 13-Dec-17 08:37:13

The victory of Democrat Doug Jones has shown that even in Alabama Trump's endorsement of candidate who, like Trump himself, has been accused by several women of sexual harrassment, appears to have been counter productive. A great result for democracy and decency.

durhamjen Wed 13-Dec-17 08:26:36

Brilliant news to wake up to.
Last night he was saying he wasn't giving in until the last vote had been counted, and was trusting to god to put it right.
That was when he was 20,000 votes behind, and only 1% left to count.

vampirequeen Wed 13-Dec-17 08:00:52

Despite Trump's support the Alabama electorate had the sense not to vote for the child molester. He says it was due to postal voters which suggests he thinks that people who live out of state didn't vote properly.

durhamjen Tue 12-Dec-17 19:12:30

He's staying in the US instead of being in a meeting to do with climate change.
I see Macron has asked US scientists who are working on climate change if they would like to move to France.

varian Tue 12-Dec-17 18:55:40

Donald Trump asks voters in Alabama to vote for a child molester rather than a "Liberal Democrat" who has an exemplary record of prosecuting the Klu Klux Klan.

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-alabama-roy-moore-senate-doug-jones-pro-abortion-gun-control-crime-illegal-immigration-a8105706.html

POGS Mon 11-Dec-17 22:45:59

" I am sure we can spot some of the obvious ones, like Trump, but how many others are there and how much damage can they do before they are stopped?"
--

Well the term ' A useful idiot ' is attributed to Lenin and is thought of as being "a dupe of the Communists". A citizen of a non-communist country sympathetic to the Soviet Union who is susceptible to propaganda and is cynically misused.

There are indeed UK politicians of whom this question has recently been asked if they are 'Putin's Useful Idiot' and the Ukraine Conflict was one that has asked this question of one in particular, I don't mean Alex Salmond although fairly or unfairly the question has been asked of him also.

durhamjen Mon 11-Dec-17 22:11:25

www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-accusers-congress-investigation_us_5a2e69f4e4b073789f6b31de?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

varian Fri 08-Dec-17 18:05:00

Putin seems to have pulled a lot of strings in the last few years. He was well trained in the KGB. He and his agents have identified "useful idiots" in many countries who can act to disrupt and ultimately destroy the stability of the West.

I am sure we can spot some of the obvious ones, like Trump, but how many others are there and how much damage can they do before they are stopped?

AlieOxon Fri 08-Dec-17 16:56:18

Or that he is weakening America's reputation!

But maybe that's what Putin intended....

Morgana Fri 08-Dec-17 15:50:40

I am coming to the conclusion that everything he does is designed to make himself richer. Presumably he will benefit greatly from the tax change, the threat of war will increase sales of arms (guess he will benefit from this) . He doesn't care what happens to the world.

durhamjen Wed 06-Dec-17 23:48:06

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017/12/06/trumps-tax-reform/
The video is good.

durhamjen Wed 06-Dec-17 22:44:43

It's taken the heat off his tax giveaway to his rich friends, though.

Trump’s tax reforms – designed to enrich Apple by at least $47 billion – will see large corporate America have its tax rate cut form 35% to 20%; ordinary Americans see their personal income tax increase from 10% to 12% and those living in Democrat states always see their taxes rise (because that’s implicit in the design). Trump says this will be a ‘big, beautiful tax cut’. But the real question is, will it work?

POGS Wed 06-Dec-17 22:15:51

Baggs

I think it is called ' The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 '. passed by Congress.?

Baggs Wed 06-Dec-17 20:47:43

I checked the 2016 quote (downloaded into iBooks the 55-page Democratic Party platform). What is reported to have been said in that platform is correct.