Gransnet forums

News & politics

Being right more important than what's right.

(131 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Fri 15-Dec-17 07:40:05

Cannot watch the news anymore. All these objections to a democratic decision to exit is dreadful. Instead of all working together to get the best for our country, they want to bankrupt us and bring us to our knees. People are suffering, we need to move on. There is nothing worse than a bad loser and a bully to boot. It has shown people's self interest and total disregard for our Country, a place I love with so much that is good about it.what treachery.

durhamjen Mon 18-Dec-17 21:06:59

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/18/uk-ministers-blocking-appointments-rights-watchdog-ehrc-lawyers

Is this acceptable, luckylegs?
May always said she wanted to get rid of the human rights act. Now she's blocking appointments.

durhamjen Mon 18-Dec-17 16:11:47

I see in today's paper it says that Liam Fox is going to employ his own team of nine Brexit negotiators, paid £120,000 each. Liam Fox's million pound power grab, it's being called.
What's the betting Adam Werrity is one of them.

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-17 15:57:39

I just don't understand how we got from 'it's all going to be easy' to 'we're going to have to work hard at this'. Or rather 'you're going to have to work hard at this', (so we're not really 'all in together' are we?)

It's similar to Liam Fox telling business man that they're lazy. It's contemptuous, arrogant and unpleasant.

And bloody annoying for those who didn't vote to be put in this situation. Stuff up the economy and everyones' businesses then tell them they'll have to try harder. angry

durhamjen Mon 18-Dec-17 15:40:21

I love that Shneider tweet, Maizie.
He's right. Never saw it on that bus.

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-17 15:30:51

Is sarcasm the new #offensive'?

GracesGranMK2 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:13:01

Where have Jen been SO offensive niggly? I missed that bit.

nigglynellie Mon 18-Dec-17 15:10:48

dj. Why is it you always have to be SO offensive whether to me, annie, lemon or anyone else who doesn't subscribe to your way of thinking? It's rude, at times offensive, and nearly always unkind.

whitewave Mon 18-Dec-17 14:12:01

Tbh I think many of us were fearful of precisely this happening, as you only have to look at the brextremists to know that they are largely from the far right, and it doesn’t take a genius to know what their attitude is towards workers rights etc.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 18-Dec-17 14:06:39

I heard that Maizie! What a that man is. All these right-wing Brexiteers are interest in is putting the working person back in the box they feel they belong in. All this for more difficult and less trade so fewer and worse paid jobs!!!

Badenkate Mon 18-Dec-17 13:10:59

I think the worst result of the whole Brexit referendum - whether you voted reaming or leave - is the way it seems to have given 'permission' to the most extreme in our society to crawl out from the dark places they have been lurking and give vent to their prejudice and hatred. And not necessarily the most extreme. I don't think I have ever heard or seen such unpleasant intolerant language directed at various groups in our country as I have in the last few months. I really don't recognise the UK any more sad

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-17 12:18:21

Well, this has pressed my buttons angry

Ian Duncan Smith says that 'UK businesses will have to get by with harder trade after Brexit'

What happened to the 'it's going to be so easy to make new and wonderful trade deals' that was promised by the Leave campaigners?

Apart from all those prescient Gnetters who always knew that it wasn't going to be easy but voted Leave all the same because they just knew that the EU was bad, how many people voted for getting by with 'harder trade'.

Twitter thread for those in my bubble grin

twitter.com/davidschneider/status/942698450201862145

durhamjen Mon 18-Dec-17 09:35:31

Oh, sorry.....

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-17 09:32:48

I'm trying to be respectful here, dj...

durhamjen Mon 18-Dec-17 09:27:15

Lemon felt it in her bones, Maizie.

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-17 09:25:19

information

MaizieD Mon 18-Dec-17 09:24:48

How did you get to 'know', lemon? Where did the infirmation come from that led to your judgement that the EU is bad?
I'm assuming that as you deny being 'persuaded' you have formed your view over a longer period so I'm curious as to what led you to form that view?
You told us recently that you don't read newspapers; which is interesting...

lemongrove Mon 18-Dec-17 08:58:19

A lot of them couldn’t even be bothered to go and vote in the referendum.
We had to vote whichever way we considered best for the country regardless of age.
It wasn’t that the older generation were ‘pursuaded’ that being in the EU was bad, we knew that it was.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 18-Dec-17 08:08:40

Just because a majority of the older generation have been persuaded that the EU is so bad that we can have something better does not make that a truth either.

Someone looking forward to the best part of 30 years will, during that time, be supported by those whose opinion you have chosen to ignore. Why should they consider us if we have made them poorer?

All the people leading the rush to leave are from the far right. The sort of people who will tell you that you deserve your poverty should you ever be in that position and many other things that start to appear quite nasty as you get older - and more expensive to care for.

Having seen what the right can do to the Care and NHS systems so far I sincerely hope I do not live to see the next 20 to 30 years.

Greengage Sun 17-Dec-17 22:37:39

GracesGranMK2 Just because the younger generations have grown up with the EU doesn't make it good. Hopefully I have the best part of 30 years still before me, and I don't intend not to vote for what I believe will be best for all.

durhamjen Sun 17-Dec-17 20:42:57

And lots of them because they did not want any more migrants.
Tomorrow is International Migrants Day.

neweuropeans.net/event/2159/international-migrants-day

iamamigrant.org/without

GracesGranMK2 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:40:46

All these objections to a democratic decision to exit is dreadful.

Why do people have such strong views based on so little knowledge? Parliament voted by majority to leave the EU - they agreed to filing Article 50. The recent debate was nothing to do with whether we leave or not - unless IN THE FUTURE Parliament changes it's mind we are leaving.

This debate was about procedure and about the sovereignty of Parliament - that is our democracy. Since we subordinated the monarchy it is and always has been Parliament that is sovereign, not the referendum voters, not Mrs May, not the brexiteers and not the government. This bill was to ensure it stayed that way and every single MP should have been voting for it if they were not putting themselves first.

These brave MPs were voting for our democracy.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:31:05

I voted in the first referendum for the Common Market

But we are not the future we are the past. Those who will be the future grew up with the EU and did not generally object to being in it. You have inflicted your views on those who still have a lot of living to do - much of it after we have gone.

durhamjen Sun 17-Dec-17 20:30:15

Sick to death of all this squabbling in parliament?
Is that not what it's there for, except it's called debating.
It's democratic.

GracesGranMK2 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:28:44

ho who

GracesGranMK2 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:28:22

Its done and now we all have to move on and accept and make the most of it.

No, we don't. We have to ensure that what is done is the best for the whole country and the whole United Kingdom not just a small percentage ho want the most extreme outcome whatever it does to ALL of us. I will most certainly NOT move on and accept the views of such people.