Gransnet forums

News & politics

More Brexit lunacy

(1001 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 22-Dec-17 13:50:52

£490 million wasted spent on changing the colour of our passports. Which we could have done at any time in the last 30 years. Burgundy wasn't obligatory; not every EU country has a burgundy passport.

How many more £millions is this futile Brexit exercise going to cost the UK?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-passports-go-back-iconic-11736353

Somewhat ironic that the new blue is very similar to the colour of the EU flag...

gillybob Fri 09-Feb-18 08:42:46

I can already see large manufacturers slowly moving some of their production lines into the EU, in preparation, there will no doubt be more to follow.

I would like to hear what the Labour Party would do differently ? They all seem to be keeping very quiet about it.

mostlyharmless Fri 09-Feb-18 08:27:50

Should mean that all UK stays in customs union logically.

MaizieD Fri 09-Feb-18 08:03:21

How are they going to achieve that without a hard border?

mostlyharmless Fri 09-Feb-18 07:55:30

Northern Ireland will stay in single market after Brexit, EU says

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/09/northern-ireland-will-stay-in-single-market-after-brexit-eu-says?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

mostlyharmless Fri 09-Feb-18 07:52:45

Interesting development:
UK negotiators have been warned that the EU draft withdrawal agreement will stipulate that Northern Ireland will, in effect, remain in the customs union and single market after Brexit to avoid a hard border.
From the Guardian this morning

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 23:52:25

inews.co.uk/news/politics/get-brexit-wrong-back-dark-times-50s-rationing-says-food-industry-boss/

At least we have fridges and feezers now.

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 23:06:29

I imagine Hitachi were also at that meeting, Maizie. Where are they making the trains, Peterlee?

MaizieD Thu 08-Feb-18 20:57:53

A healthy reminder, though!

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 20:40:11

Oh!! That should have been a picture of Chucca Umunna .

Sorry! I have got it quite right yet

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 20:38:52

www.bhf.org.uk/dechox?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social-paid&utm_campaign=~t326&utm_term=&utm_content=

More testing

MaizieD Thu 08-Feb-18 20:18:16

The Death knell is tolling for manufacturing in the UK. All in the name of Taking Back Control!

Well, that's OK because the Brexiter's pet Economist, Patrick Minford, predicted that Brexit would mean the loss of manufacturing in the UK. And only Brexiter's forecasts come true, of course!

I am gutted for Sunderland.

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 20:08:15

They won’t be the only ones. I wonder if that scenario was fed into the economic impact assessments? I doubt it very much.

jura2 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:05:56

Stark warning from the Japanese Ministers- if it is not profitable to be in the UK (due to tariffs imposed by EU)- then we will take our factories elsewhere.

suzied Thu 08-Feb-18 19:54:20

No Brexiteers will believe it’s all the traitors talking the country down and publishing negative news. Things will be marvellous when we’ve no jobs and immigrants won’t want to come here. Still David Davis and Liam Fox will soon be striking wonderful deals with Argentina and Albania and numerous other sparkling economies.

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 19:42:57

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/stop-taking-idiots-theresa-facing-14264972

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 19:40:55

Pre-Brexit vote, the North East was a net exporter, the only area in the country.

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 19:36:24

I wonder what history is going to make of the period

mostlyharmless Thu 08-Feb-18 19:35:41

So last year's promises of a "special deal" for Japanese car companies were lies.

The Death knell is tolling for manufacturing in the UK. All in the name of Taking Back Control!

Shocking.

varian Thu 08-Feb-18 19:33:11

I used to wonder how bad the forecasts would have to be before the Leavers saw the light and admitted they might have made a mistake. Sadly, I now think they do not give a toss.

You have only got to see the angry brexiters in the QT audience to realise these people will never see sense. They would rather drive us off the cliff than admit they were wrong.

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 18:46:03

That 16% drop in GDP for the NE has just doubled!

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 18:41:41

Japanese representative I’m leaving downing street

“If there is no profitability in trading in the U.K. there is no point in staying”

Blimey

Smithy Thu 08-Feb-18 18:26:37

Yes Gilly, Jen. Its always us. Could have foretold that myself.

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 17:03:10

theconversation.com/the-cost-of-brexit-and-how-much-you-should-trust-the-forecasts-explained-by-an-economist-91172

Another expert.

durhamjen Thu 08-Feb-18 14:22:56

"Democracy and transparency in trade matters to us all

There are two facts that everyone should know about the UK’s trade policy as we prepare to leave the EU. The first is that modern trade agreements have a huge impact – for good and for bad – on many areas of life including jobs, the environment, health, development, food and inequality.

The second is that under current rules, the UK government has unchecked powers to negotiate and sign trade agreements.

The government has the power to: decide who to start negotiations with; set its own priorities and objectives for these negotiations; conduct negotiations, often in secret; and conclude and sign the eventual deal.

There are no procedures in place to ensure trade negotiations are accountable to Parliament or the public. Incredibly, MPs have no powers to scrutinise ongoing negotiations and provide direction. The public has no right of input or to know what is being done. Parliament is eventually asked to ratify the agreed final deal, but in practice the procedure is a nominal one and MPs are not even guaranteed a vote on whether to approve or reject trade deals.

The UK has not been responsible for trade policy for 40 years, so it is understandable that our procedure for negotiating and ratifying trade agreements needs some reform. Yet, to date, the government has not taken steps to update this procedure.

In November 2017, the government introduced a Trade Bill to enable its independent trade policy after Brexit. This is a key piece of legislation and provided a clear opportunity for the government to demonstrate its commitment to transparency and democracy in trade policy. However, at present the Bill lacks any provision to make trade policy accountable to Parliament. "

From this link, where there are lots of other links to get you worried.

tjm.org.uk/trade-issues/democracy-and-transparency#subtitle

mostlyharmless Thu 08-Feb-18 13:53:33

I see representatives of Nissan, Honda and Toyota are meeting Theresa May and Hammond today to discuss Brexit.
Will that special deal to protect the car manufacturers still be on offer?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion