Gransnet forums

News & politics

NHS

(564 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 03-Jan-18 19:19:36

The situation we're in this week with the NHS, cancelled operations, frail and ill patients sitting in queues of ambulances outside A and E, etc etc.
The health secretary and PM are insisting they planned well for these pressures. Every doctor/nurse Ive heard interviewed is saying the situation is desperate and that the issue is lack of resources.
Local Authorities funds have been devastated so patients who could be discharged home if social care was available remain in hospital. People stay on trollies in A and E rather than being discharged because there isn't a Consultant available to confirm they ca go home.
Does anyone have a sensible suggestion about how this situation can be improved. I don't see how it can improve without more money, we need to train and support our medical staff.

durhamjen Sat 31-Mar-18 12:56:19

I think his wife is a GP, Luckygirl, so he knows a bit about it.

Luckygirl Sat 31-Mar-18 11:43:53

Richard Murphy blog very succinct and accurate - thanks for posting it.

durhamjen Sat 31-Mar-18 10:36:44

More lies from May.

www.theguardian.com/society/2018/mar/29/health-trusts-say-next-years-ae-targets-will-be-impossible-to-meet

Not putting more money into the NHS like she keeps saying. Trusts are being asked to save £4 billion next financial year.

durhamjen Tue 27-Mar-18 22:59:29

A response to Richard Murphy's taxresearch article about hypothecated tax.

"Hypothecated taxes create “consumers” for public goods. Once you become a consumer and believe that you are paying personally for services the consumer feels that personal rights are created and usage increases because of a culture of direct payment for services. Similarly a system of insurance does the same thing because having a specific payment for a service means the individual will use that service even when not strictly required because they have paid for it. Insurance and health providers love this idea because it means that more money is poured into health services which is why in the US far more is spent on health than comparable with the NHS.

The beauty of the NHS is that it creates a culture of public good for those who need the service not one of use because of a personal right created via a direct payment by me either by an insurance policy or an hypothecated tax.

Those on the political right who insist that a grown up conversation is needed as to how the NHS will be funded are solely seeking to impose private enterprise doctrine. The most efficient means of funding the NHS has to be through central government funded by all. Any other system of funding has to involve a transfer of benefit from those less able to afford it to those able to pay. An insurance system will reduce the funding pool and force those unable to pay to “choose” a lower level of cover a choice no one can legitimately make because they lack the knowledge as to what illnesses they may need to cover in the future. Their doctrine supports the growth of inequality and the preservation of existing privilege. The privatisation of the pensions system via auto enrolment excludes those who are unemployed and benefits those with higher incomes compared to those on lower incomes. The creeping privatisation of the health system will do the same."

That's why I like that blog, because those who reply also know what they are talking about.

durhamjen Tue 27-Mar-18 19:44:19

Yes, she does think we'll forget!

whitewave Tue 27-Mar-18 18:58:46

Mays bid for votes

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZT2nWxW0AUleb0?format=jpg

durhamjen Tue 27-Mar-18 18:27:51

I saw that. Do you think they are hoping that everyone will forget all the years they have been stripping the NHS of staff and finance?
Anyway, it needs more money NOW, not after another committee is set up.

whitewave Tue 27-Mar-18 18:22:57

Oh how I wish there were elections every year. It sure focuses minds.

Theresa May was cross party cooperation on NHS

durhamjen Tue 27-Mar-18 18:00:29

www.theweek.co.uk/92554/nhs-finances-are-in-a-perilous-state-mps-warn

Do you think they will listen to their own public accounts committee?

durhamjen Tue 27-Mar-18 16:35:36

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2018/03/27/hypothecated-taxes-are-designed-to-undermine-the-nhs/

An interesting article by Richard Murphy.

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 18:02:18

Agree, lazigirl.
NHS is not going to get any better after Brexit.

ukandeu.cmail20.com/t/r-l-jywkuuy-hyduuilyhy-m/

Lazigirl Fri 23-Mar-18 17:24:55

Yes dj. I think 38 Degrees is very effective in enabling individuals to join together to be noticed and to influence change in our so called democracy. It would be very dispiriting for someone like me living in a rural county with a staunch Tory MP to make my voice heard if it were not for groups like 38 Degrees.

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 16:48:55

Sorry, Hawking.

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 16:48:29

www.crowdjustice.com/case/jr4nhs-round3/

This is the group that Stephen Hawkin was involved in to take Hunt to court.

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 16:45:36

weownit.org.uk/public-ownership/nhs

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 16:41:31

Are you both on 38 degrees?

speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/3553

This is what is happening to you.
Complain about it to someone who can try and do something about it.

Luckygirl Fri 23-Mar-18 16:17:03

I agree - it is sickening. But what do you do? We can afford it by taking out savings, and the worry that is hanging over our heads at present is so stressful. It could be something very serious (e.g. aorta) and the second time it happened I could have died if I had not managed to get through to my OH before I lost consciousness. There is no way of knowing when/if it might happen again. It is doubly stressful as I am carer to my OH and if I died there would be huge practical implications for the entire family.

We have decided to just spend the money and have done with it - peace of mind is beyond price.

Both of us have worked in the NHS all our lives nearly and find this choice unacceptable but do not know what else to do. I realise that someone who could not find that money would be stuck in this situation for months; that does make me feel bad.

Lazigirl Fri 23-Mar-18 16:10:49

Yes you can see why the rich live longer can't you? Our NHS was the best and most cost effective in the world but sadly this is no longer the case. Those in real need, are having to wait for treatment and meanwhile the the Government is planning to reduce taxes. I was advised by a GP that I could go privately if I wanted to be seen quickly and I said that he should be ashamed of promoting private medicine and I'd worked in the NHS all my career. As you have discovered Luckygirl GPs are no longer able to refer for scans or to consultants without being triaged to see if referral is really necessary. It is a way of rationing, and I can only see that the service is being run down deliberately to open the way for full privatisation.

spyder08 Fri 23-Mar-18 12:30:24

In a similar situation with youngest grand-daughter Luckygirl. She has had numerous bouts of tonsillitis/ear infections and just general "not well" episodes. Also she has only 7/8 Words in her vocabulary despite the fact she is nearly 4.
She needs a tonsillectomy and grommets as well as further investigation whilst under anaesthetic. NHS waiting, best scenario, is 8 months. Privately it can be done in Mid-April but at a cost of just shy of £4000.
Daughter and son-in-law are not in a position to fund this.
Do we pay or do we wait at the mercy of the NHS?

Luckygirl Fri 23-Mar-18 10:25:59

It is all chaos at the moment. I spent 7 hours on a trolley in A&E earlier this month, having made a sporting attempt to die at home (unconscious, grey, drenched in sweat) and the para-medics struggled to get me round. By the time I got to A&E my BP had returned. Saw a doc for 2 minutes after 7 hours and he sent me home to talk to GP about investigations - he did not examine me in any way.

Urgent CT ordered by GP. I rang this morning and they have the referral and it is waiting in a pile for the consultant to decide if it really is urgent; then it will lie in another pile awaiting the scan (4 weeks I am told), then I will have to wait x weeks for the actual result to filter through. If he decides it is not urgent, add another 2 or 3 weeks to all that.

In the meantime I have this anxiety hanging over my head - it is the second time this has happened. OH worried sick that I will drop dead and he will have no carer.

So...rang local Nuffield. They can do it Friday week and you get the result the same day. Great - but it costs £800 - £1000. Hmm.

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 09:23:09

metro.co.uk/2018/03/23/nhs-nurse-dedicated-career-patients-forced-crowdfund-treatment-7410142/

This shouldn't be happening in the NHS.
I hope those in charge feel ashamed. I certainly do.

whitewave Thu 22-Mar-18 21:01:09

Reference the debate today in the HoC about Brexit and the NHS.
The government couldnt name a single benefit to the NHS from leaving the EU.

So that is that. As Maybot might say.

Lazigirl Thu 22-Mar-18 18:02:39

I am pleased that the longsuffering NHS staff are getting a pay rise and that the supposed non existent money tree materialised, but the Government had no choice considering the NHS lost 33,000 nurses last year, which far exceeded recruitment. Sadly many of the poorest paid ancillary staff won't benefit because their jobs were privatised long ago, but as dj says those that weren't soon will be!

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 18:41:51

I don't think those who work for them will be taken in, particularly as it's over three years.
Anyway, lots of NHS area groups are trying to privatise all the catering and cleaning, etc., which means they will not be paid by the NHS.

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 18:34:19

Torres must be a bit desperate - 6% pay rise just before the May local elections. I wonder if it will impress many voters. Surely they aren’t that gullible.

All power to the nurses though