Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we get rid of plastic waste?

(271 Posts)
suzied Thu 11-Jan-18 18:26:30

The Government have made some wishy washy statements about “getting rid of avoidable plastic by 2042” , whilst this all sounds laudable, shouldn’t throwaway plastics be banned sooner? Shouldn’t there be legislation, not just relying on voluntary action? Should we have a compulsory deposit scheme on plastic bottles so they get recycled not thrown in landfill or the ocean? Shouldn’t fruit and veg be sold loose, not in plastic trays? I do take a refillable bottle out with me, but that’s plastic, I do have my own coffee cup when I go for coffee at my college, I do try to get fruit and veg from the greengrocer not the supermarket, I’ve signed the petition against plastic packaging, but what more can we be doing?

durhamjen Sat 03-Mar-18 15:24:02

www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/taiwan-ban-on-plastic-bags-straws-utensils-contain/

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 15:23:45

sorry - PLASTIC bottles!!

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 15:23:24

If you carry on watching then there is a video on recycling glass bottles.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Mar-18 15:22:32

Our loft insulation was (apparently) made from recycled glass bottles - how they made nice soft fluffy stuff from glass is amazing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JH6kkzZ8so

durhamjen Sat 03-Mar-18 15:14:30

www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/lego-begins-selling-plant-based-blocks-no-more-pla/

Well done, lego.

SueDonim Sat 24-Feb-18 00:49:58

Brilliant!

I've no idea what ours is made from. It was put it by the Scottish government when they had a home insulation drive a few years ago. The mice like to make nests from it. hmm

durhamjen Sat 24-Feb-18 00:24:25

My loft insulation is made from recycled plastic bottles.
It's been in since 2010, bought from Homebase.
Because it's not made from fibreglass, there is no problem of lung irritation. Put down by our two sons in a couple of hours.

SueDonim Sat 24-Feb-18 00:19:38

That's interesting! I wonder if they're lighter than normal building bricks? They'd be safer to use in earthquake zones, if they are.

I read just this week about plastic waste being made into insulation for houses, the kind of stuff you put in your loft.

durhamjen Fri 23-Feb-18 23:27:44

www.marmax-products.uk/index.php?route=common/home

This is a Durham company, Maizie. It stops me feeling so guilty about plastic milk bottles. Actually, I only use one or two a week, pint ones, as I don't have dairy any more.

MaizieD Fri 23-Feb-18 23:19:37

I did! And very frustrating it was, too...

But I liked the look of this idea. If, as is claimed, we can almost never get rid of plastic why not put it to good use? With all the recent publicity about nasties leaking from some plastics I would imagine that a wall made from those 'bricks' would have to be properly sealed to prevent leakage but I would think that it wouldn't be a problem.

durhamjen Fri 23-Feb-18 23:13:53

That's interesting, Maizie.
Did you used to have one of those pre-lego house construction sets where you slid bricks between metal posts?

MaizieD Fri 23-Feb-18 22:50:50

Does this look promising? Making building blocks from plastic waste:

twitter.com/PrecisionHomes_/status/966919424811741185

durhamjen Thu 15-Feb-18 14:10:43

Not just plastics, but a website which might be useful for your council's recycling practices.

www.mysociety.org/2018/02/12/where-theres-muck-theres-brass/

Elegran Fri 09-Feb-18 19:10:50

I have come across two useful websites for anyone contemplating a campaign about recycling plastic waste.

One is www.recoup.org/p/4/our-aims-and-vision

The other, partners.wrap.org.uk/ , has lots of photos, posters, etc.

Cold Wed 07-Feb-18 18:54:29

Here in Sweden there have been plastic bottle, tin can and glass soft recycling for decades. The glass bottles are sterilized and refilled

It is the law that shops must participate in the recycling scheme and a deposit is taken on the bottles/cans that are refunded when you put it back through the machine. It is also the law that the shops must take any bottle regardless of where you buy them.

Our milk and yogurt also comes in cardboard cartons that are recyclable (I don't know what they coat them with)

I also notice that there are fewer single use plastics here. Ready meals are not a huge thing but those that are tend to come in recyclable cardboard trays. Also national free school meals means that there are fewer "lunchbox" plastic items such as water/fruit shoot bottles or small plastic boxes of cheese, biscuits, fruit etc.

Elegran Wed 07-Feb-18 10:59:39

Norway's plastic bottle recycling scheme (and Lithuania, Germany, and some states in the US and Canada).
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42953038

SueDonim Tue 06-Feb-18 18:51:50

I've bought 150 paper straws for use at home. I expect them to last about 25 years. grin

jura2 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:23:37

unless you have a disability- why would anyone need a straw?

Jalima1108 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:26:27

I saw some paper straws for sale in Lidl the other week - however, I'm sure they said they were 'coated' - with what I don't know.
They were very expensive too.

SueDonim Mon 05-Feb-18 21:34:13

There were plastic straws in a Scottish branch of John Lewis last week and also in other cafes.

They're also still for sale in Scottish shops.

paddyann Mon 05-Feb-18 20:21:36

I haven't read through all the posts but wonder if its been posted that the Scottish government have banned plastic straws and plastic cotton buds as well as the deposit system for plastic bottles .Small start but a start all the same

Primrose65 Mon 05-Feb-18 19:06:37

I've signed it too Jura.

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Feb-18 18:35:00

Signed and shared.

jura2 Mon 05-Feb-18 17:59:44

Please would you consider signing this Greenpeace petition- irrespective of your politics, party politics - let's do this for our grand-children and the world's wildlife and the planet now:

secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/s/plastic-free-supermarkets?source=fb&subsource=20180116ocfb01&utm_source=gpeace&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=20180116ocfb01

jura2 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:53:01

We the customers are not 'victims' of packaging- or certainly do not need to be.