Gransnet forums

News & politics

International Women's Day in Ghouta

(6 Posts)
Jalima1108 Thu 08-Mar-18 23:28:47

Before this day is over I just want to share this which was posted on my FB page - it was sent to a friend:

Last night was a night from hell in besieged Ghouta with massacres unfolding and the skies lit up by the shower of weaponry landing on civilians

Doctors treated people injured by Napalm, barrel bombs, and missile strikes, as well as a chlorine gas chemical attack. The White Helmets struggled to reach people injured or trapped in the rubble because the destruction and craters from airstrikes were making it hard to move. Dozens were killed and even more were injured.

This International Women’s Day, our sisters in Ghouta, along with hundreds of thousands of civilians besieged inside, are at the mercy of the depravity of the Syrian regime and Russia

Today and throughout the past weeks, women from Ghouta have been reporting from the ground – writings that should go straight into the history books.

Nivin Hotary, an activist from Ghouta, wrote this morning:

This could be my last post. The catastrophic situation is now well-known to all... we have said all we could say.

A criminal regime that kills its own people with the approval and support and sponsorship of other countries.

Yesterday was an indescribable day. Chlorine and cluster bombs, barrel bombs, and rocket shells. They tried everything to bury us alive in the basements.

No words left for us to say and no conscience or humanity left in those remaining silent and allowing this to happen.

The last thing I want to say to all people everywhere: our regime is murderous and won’t escape justice.

But your governments are more murderous than the regime. They are watching and remaining quiet, acquiescing.

And those who accuse us of being terrorists, Islamists and more to relieve their conscience...

The Syrian regime might kill us all – how would you ever make peace with that?

I salute all women of the world on International Women’s Day, and I extend my condolences to our women for such a shameful world.

8/3/2018

Day 18 in the basements

#Ghouta

To stand in solidarity with our sisters right now in Ghouta

silverlining48 Fri 09-Mar-18 09:04:01

Have read this powerful and moving piece and feel so very very sad. I know Syrian refugees who were lucky enough to get away, they are safe now, but have lost everything.
I salute Nivin Hotary and all that are trapped in that living hell.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Mar-18 11:23:12

I'm bumping this because it seems to have received little notice (thanks silverlining48) but I think it is worthy of attention.

annsixty Fri 09-Mar-18 11:30:31

I missed it Jalima and am glad I have seen it now.
I told my 19 year old GD yesterday that now women can do anything they want.
How wrong I was. These women are powerless and are seeing their children ,if they are lucky enough to grow up, also powerless against a murderous regime but also living with nothing but horror in their lives.
I wish I was clever and influential enough to make changes, the writer is also spot on about governments sitting and watching.
What an indictment of us all.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Mar-18 11:53:15

What are the United Nations for?

silverlining48 Fri 09-Mar-18 15:52:45

I think it’s worthy of attention too jalima so I am bumping it as well.