Gransnet forums

News & politics

Credit for a guilty plea when...

(11 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 28-Mar-18 18:56:03

...you have tested way over the limit, there is CCTV footage, you were apprehended at the scene? And so you get a reduced sentence ( driver who killed three teenage boys). Why , just why?

matson Wed 28-Mar-18 19:20:28

Should it not have been a 39 year sentence? 13 years for each teenager killed, much more realistic sentence!

Jalima1108 Wed 28-Mar-18 19:48:19

There are no mitigating circumstances - but that is only my opinion, unfortunately.

M0nica Wed 28-Mar-18 20:05:13

Pleading guilty, when the evidence against you is so explicit and damning, is not what I would call a mitigating circumstances. In those circumstances the sentence should be increased if you don't plead guilty.

Grannybags Wed 28-Mar-18 20:49:49

That's what I said when I heard the news maryeliza It's disgraceful.

MissAdventure Wed 28-Mar-18 20:50:53

Its a bloody disgrace!

maryeliza54 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:05:16

Absolutely MO. There should be the tariff then it’s added to by the judge if you plead not guilty in the face of overwhelming evidence like this

Anniebach Wed 28-Mar-18 21:29:45

Can't agree the sentence should be increased sorry MOnica, it takes away the right of everyone to plead as they wish, no matter the charge.

The maximum sentence of 14 years is so wrong , he took three lives and this should have been three charges and should have been three charges of manslaughter Minimum is, I think 14 years, but the judge can give a longer sentence

maryeliza54 Wed 28-Mar-18 21:35:04

No it doesn’t take away the right to plead as you wish at all but if you are clearly guilty and plead not guilty then that should be an aggravating matter so far as sentencing is concerned. You could argue that reducing a sentence for a not guilty plea also takes away that right as it’s an influencing factor on how you might decide to plead.

Anniebach Wed 28-Mar-18 22:04:44

I am against reducing sentencing for pleading not guilty , innocent people have pleaded guilty when innocent, the police told them they had no chance of getting off so best plead guilty and they have, this all makes it easier for police, judge, lawters and costs of a trial .

Yes it is unfair when discussing this case but the innocent have to be protected .

sodapop Wed 28-Mar-18 22:05:42

13 years for each life as matson said, a sentence for each young life taken