Gransnet forums

News & politics

Naylor report

(6 Posts)
M0nica Mon 09-Apr-18 16:56:20

eazybee, I totally agree. Anyone using our main hospital has been told to add an extra hour to their travelling time to allow for finding a parking place. That is on top of the extra hour needed to get through the road works leading up to the hospital. So if either of us needs to go to the hospital, even in an emergency, we need to allow nearly three hours for a 15 mile journey.

eazybee Mon 09-Apr-18 12:04:52

If the land is anywhere near the hospitals, please use it for car parks.

M0nica Mon 09-Apr-18 09:39:37

I think it is sensible that the NHS should review the land and premises it owns that are currently unused and have no future as NHS facilities. What I would not like to see is land around current facilities that might be needed for future expansion being sold off because the NHS premises are in area where building land commands exceptionally high prices.

Charleygirl Sun 08-Apr-18 12:51:58

I did not realise that Sir Robert Naylor had changed jobs. He was the top boss where I used to work.

Marydoll Sun 08-Apr-18 12:48:11

Years ago in the late 70s, when I worked for NHS finance Dept., I was surprised to find that the local health board owned acres of land and lots of houses.
The houses were accommodation for the foreign doctors that the health board had to recruit from abroad, as there was a shortage of doctors.
Most of the houses and land were sold off years ago. The land has now residential properties built on it.
There was a public meeting last month to present the proposals for selling off the remaining land and derelict buildings.
The plus points are that NHSS will benefit financially and in an area of housing shortage there will be more houses available. The hospital buildings, surrounded by the land, will continue to be owned by NHSS.
Although I will be sad to see the beautiful farmland and views near our home disappear, the shortage of housing overrides that.

morethan2 Sun 08-Apr-18 11:39:47

I’ve just had a conversation about the naylor report. I’m fairly ignorant about it but didn’t like what I was hearing so I googled it. The general gist was about forcing the NHS to sell off property and land. I’m honestly no wiser as to weather it’s a good thing or not. Is it a similar to what was done when the private companies built hospitals and then rented it back and ending up costing a fortune in the future. I don’t want to cause a political bun fight here as in labour versus conservatives supporters I just want somone to explain it in layman’s terms.