Gransnet forums

News & politics

Comfort for Rape Victims?

(17 Posts)
SpanielNanny Wed 18-Apr-18 12:45:00

Well isn’t she just a wonderful woman. Those lucky souls getting to relive the horror of their ordeal at the dwp!!!

I really do worry about the state of this country sometimes. What has happened to our compassion for other human beings.

maryeliza54 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:30:49

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/16/esther-mcvey-child-tax-credit-clause-is-opportunity-for-victims

Here’s the link showing her in all her glory

SpanielNanny Wed 18-Apr-18 12:23:53

I’m sorry to sound stupid, but I haven’t seen this on the news. Are they actually proposing that the poor woman, who has already been a victim of rape, would then have to explain this to a panel in order to get help to raise the child? How can we call ourselves a civilised society and allow this kind of thing to happen.

trisher Wed 18-Apr-18 11:35:52

I do find it strange that the very vocal posters on the right have not bothered to comment on this thread. Perhaps an indication that it is truly indefensible.

Granny23 Tue 17-Apr-18 15:15:51

I think MaryL is being sarcastic, with, in my view good reason.

No matter how many children the Royals want/have they will always be financially supported by the state. However, if an ordinary family is now, or may at sometime in the future find themselves on benefits, then the state will offer no financial support whatsoever for 3rd or subsequent children.

How many families are financially secure for the foreseeable future in these days of closures redundancies, even Bank Branches and Post Offices closing and Councils axing 1000s of jobs due to cut backs? These families i.e. most of us, cannot risk having any more than 2 children, no matter how much they want them and would love them. Failure of contraception is not accepted as a reason for having an 'accidental' 3rd child. Is the state suggesting that abortion is the sensible way to deal with a third pregnancy?

If the 2nd and third children are twins then an exception is made but if the 3rd and 4th children are twins then no benefit is paid for either of them, leaving parents to raise/feed/clothe 4 children for the price of two.

Smileless2012 Tue 17-Apr-18 14:01:42

confused why is any wanted child a "completely unnecessary addition" to any family?

maryeliza54 Tue 17-Apr-18 12:47:46

And meanwhile we all await the birth of a third and completely unnecessary addition to the royal family.

Granny23 Tue 17-Apr-18 11:06:28

^Nicola Sturgeon said: "To me that just illustrates how out of touch Esther McVey and the Tory government are on these really sensitive issues of social security policy.

"I think most people think the rape clause is just abhorrent - the very notion of asking a woman or expecting a woman to prove she has been raped in order to access benefits for her children, no woman should even have to contemplate that, so to try to justify that by saying that it offers some benefits, I think, adds insult to injury."

Labour said Ms McVey's presentation of the rape clause was "skin crawling", the Lib Dems said it was "deluded" and the Greens said she tried to "defend the indefensible".^

trisher Tue 17-Apr-18 10:30:54

There's a word on another thread that describes. Esther McVey! On second thoughts it doesn't, it's a decent English swear word and too good for her. Do the Tories really think they can 'spin' their way out of this? "Tell us what happened to you and we might give you some money if we believe you." There is also the effect on the child as she grows, knowing (presumably) the circumstances of her conception and why her mum gets money for her. It is cruel

maryeliza54 Tue 17-Apr-18 10:11:29

I just keep wanting to repeat the word ‘humanitarian’

Iam64 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:10:29

Absolutely disgusting. This is a government that just keeps on giving isn't it angry

Charleygirl Tue 17-Apr-18 08:53:15

If it happens to be a 4th child, no compensation- that is a bit mean!

What planet is that woman on?

There was no mention of it on the English news- maybe down here the girls would not get the "double benefit" and miss out greatly. You could not make it up.

paddyann Tue 17-Apr-18 00:20:05

Niobe is that a quiz question ? Esther McVey is a ..typical uncompassionate ,self serving,nasty piece of work...in other words she's a Tory.As far as I can tell ...they are all the same .

maryeliza54 Mon 16-Apr-18 23:05:58

Makes you wonder about the motives of the people who would be on the ‘rape panels’ doesn’t it? The whole thing is just f***ing sick - does the word of the day come to mind ? Is this ‘humanitarian? ’

Niobe Mon 16-Apr-18 22:24:15

Esther McVey is a ........ Words fail me!

Purpledaffodil Mon 16-Apr-18 22:16:57

Words fail me?Go through the trauma of a rape, carrying the child resulting from that rape, giving birth, but hey! You’ll get a few quid and a chance to relive it all again. You couldn’t make it up could you? Crass and insensitive.

Granny23 Mon 16-Apr-18 22:00:46

In case some of you missed it, or it was only shown on the Scottish News, here is an account of Esther McVey explaining to the Scottish Parliament that the 'Rape Clause' will provide a double benefit to the Rape victim in that not only can they claim child benefit for the baby if it is a third child but also they will be able to benefit by telling the panel what happened to them!

Most of us would consider this to be more 'being forced to relive the trauma again' rather than 'getting support'

Unbelievable lack of insight on the part of Esther McVey.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/16/esther-mcvey-child-tax-credit-clause-is-opportunity-for-victims