Gransnet forums

News & politics

Speech is mot violence

(7 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 25-Apr-18 16:09:09

Remember the old saying?
Sticks and stones etc? Words can hurt, but not in a physical sense.Violence is an action after all.Incitement to violent action would be linked to the actual action.
We had a thread about the snowflake generation last year on GN, it was.......interesting!

Fennel Wed 25-Apr-18 10:34:20

This is something I've been worried about for a while. Having read reports of universties becoming places of intolerance, instead of open to any and all opinions as they used to be.
Not only universties, but parliament, social media, etc.
As Day 6 says, the Thought Police are out. Back to George Orwell's 1984.
There's a theory that political and social trends tend to swing between liberal and autoritarian - maybe that's what's happening now. After the liberalism of the '60s onwards we're going back to a more rigid regime. But so narrow, and stupid. imo.

Situpstraight Wed 25-Apr-18 07:33:59

I think a silent protest would have been more appropriate and maybe more effective, unfortunately the less some people have to say that’s worth listening to, the louder they shout.

absent Wed 25-Apr-18 05:58:57

Speech is not violent but incitement to hate or violence in a speech is. Hecklers are tiresome, but certainly allowed; political censorship is not. Being offended by what someone says is no reason to insist that they should not be allowed to say it (unless it involves incitement as above).

Day6 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:52:03

That is an interesting article Baggs.

Well, the idea that words and arguments constitute violence is gaining currency.

I wonder if the advent of online discussion is to blame? I am appalled that some discussions (in my experience, and in the Guardian particularly) are completely shut down by savage posters who object to another point of view. Some resort to the most vile insults if others express an opinion which differs from theirs. That this is now happening in Universities across the UK - certain people with views students don't share - will not be invited to speak is worrying. It is a form of extremely dangerous and biased censorship.

In a statement about my Lewis & Clark talk, protesters said that while free speech is an important tenet, freedom stops, they said, when it has violent impact on another individual. There will be no debate here. Well, there was no debate. It wasn't allowed

So only one view (theirs) is acceptable? Frightening. The Thought Police have power.

Baggs Tue 24-Apr-18 20:38:24

mot not

Baggs Tue 24-Apr-18 20:02:27

Five minute video by Christina Hoff Sommers (The Factual Feminist) on why speech is not violence. The link also takes you to a transcript if you prefer to read rather than listen.

Scroll down for video link.