Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now Sajid Javid suffers racist abuse from Corbyn supporters.

(191 Posts)
Day6 Wed 02-May-18 23:46:49

First Jews and now this. Labour has definitely become the nasty party, embracing hard left racist thugs.

What is going on when Corbyn's supporters abuse the new home secretary because of the colour of his skin?

Javid asked Corbyn to denounce them, but the leader of the Labour party kept his seat.

"Sajid Javid demanded Jeremy Corbyn denounce his supporters for branding him a 'coconut' and 'Uncle Tom' since his appointment as Home Secretary,"

"Since being made Home Secretary on Monday, Mr Javid has been subject to a torrent of racist abuse - which appears to come from left-wingers who profess support for Mr Corbyn."

'I was talking about members of the hard left that have created a hostile environment in their own party and people that welcome my appointment by calling me a 'coconut' and an 'Uncle Tom'.

'If that's something (Mr Corbyn) thinks is wrong, why doesn't he come to the dispatch box right now and denounce them?' "

Corbyn didn't. No surprises there.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5683017/Sajid-Javid-demands-Corbyn-denounce-supporters-branding-coconut-Uncle-Tom.html

Smileless2012 Sat 05-May-18 16:41:12

Your need to make an issue that's about the abuse of women into a racist issue is shocking trisher as is your accusation of prejudice and racism toward your fellow GN's because they don't agree that the abuse of women in Yarls Wood is racist.

Referring to asylum seekers as being detained prior to deportation isn't condemnatory and untrue, it's part of the 'story'. Using your own statistics "around 70% of the women detained are released and remain in the UK" therefore around 30% must be deported.

This has nothing to with racism but the need to ensure that those who are here, are here legally.

trisher Sat 05-May-18 15:15:12

Referring to asylum seekers as being detained "prior to deportation" is condemnatory and untrue. Around 70%of the women detained are released and remain in the UK. www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/yarls-wood-women-released-why-being-detained-prison-watchdog-a8054886.html
In fact the prejudice and racism revealed on this thread is shocking.

Day6 Sat 05-May-18 15:11:22

According to the Home Office, two thirds of inmates are detained for less than a month.

trisher Sat 05-May-18 15:06:32

I don't know I am not an expert on rape Smileless2012, however as the campaign group Women against Rape has deemed it acceptable that such a group should exist and should be part of their organisation I would imagine that there are very real reasons for its existance.
I haven't been in Yarl's Wood, nor I suspect have any of the posters on GN. There are numerous reports from inmates and those in close contact with them that there was a culture of racism. I am shocked that people refuse to believe these reports. It shows that actually racism runs very deep in our society.
Incidentally most of the women invoved are not illegal immigrants but are asylum seekers. Eu directives recommend that asylum seekers should have their case heard and a decision made within 28 days. One woman was in Yarls Wood for 3 years.

Day6 Sat 05-May-18 15:06:22

You're making the terrible things that have happened in Yarl's Wood a racist issue trisher when it isn't

Yes, true Smileless.
Why do people do this? Is a a form of guilt-tripping the masses, to read into a situation a whole load more than there really is?

Virtue signalling by proxy?

Smileless2012 Sat 05-May-18 14:25:25

You're making the terrible things that have happened in Yarl's Wood a racist issue trisher when it isn't.

I don't understand "Women against rape termed Black Women against rape". I'm a white woman against rape and wouldn't want it to be termed 'White woman against rape'. The colour of a rape victims skin is irrelevant; it is a violation of women regardless of their race.

Isn't the crime of rape bad enough without trying to use it as an example of racism?

Day6 Sat 05-May-18 11:35:30

We are on a hunger strike because we are suffering unfair imprisonment and racist abuse in this archaic institution in Britain

I do hope any racist abuse these women are suffering is recorded? There is no excuse, ever.

However - unfair imprisonment? It's a detention centre prior to deportation, and I imagine (and hope) all their needs and comforts are having to be met?

Why is it archaic if all mod cons are provided?

Surely it is pretty obvious that anyone in the country illegally (or on dubious grounds) has to be held until conditions have been satisfied, or they have been deported, or should we not bother check and put out the welcome mat for everyone? Put that to the taxpayers as a vote winner..... hmm

That is the reality unfortunately, and other side of the coin. Unless anyone can think of a better solution?

Perhaps the best we can hope for is a swifter decision making process regarding deportation, if possible so that those here illegally do not feel their imprisonment is unfair.

Serco "A Serco spokesperson said: “We know which residents eat their daily meals in the restaurant and there is also a shop in the centre where residents can buy food. Anyone refusing all food is closely monitored and supported with the professional healthcare team and their situation is kept under close review.

“Her Majesty’s Inspector of Prisons in his report published in November 2017 found that ‘there had been significant improvements at the centre’, noting ‘inspectors came away from Yarl’s Wood impressed with the progress the centre had made since the last inspection’ and commenting that ‘the leadership and staff could and should take much of the credit for the improvements.’”

The Home Office says last year more than 90 per cent of people at Yarl’s Wood were detained for four months or less and almost two-thirds were detained for less than a month.

“Detention and removal of those with no lawful basis to stay in the UK are essential parts of effective immigration controls,” a Home Office spokesperson said.

“We do not detain individuals indefinitely – when people are detained, it is for the minimum time possible and detention is reviewed on a regular basis.

“Any decision to maintain detention is made on a case-by-case basis but the detainee’s welfare remains of the utmost importance throughout. The provision of 24-hour, seven-days-a-week healthcare in all immigration removal centres ensures that individuals held there have ready access to medical professionals and levels of primary care in line with individuals in the community.”

trisher Sat 05-May-18 10:52:13

Yes by a section of Women against Rape termed Black Women against Rape Butthere is a lot on-line about what has happened.
One woman's story

We are on a hunger strike because we are suffering unfair imprisonment and racist abuse in this archaic institution in Britain.
Posted by DV
While I cannot speak for every detainee in Yarl’s Wood I can tell you that our group of protesters who are participating in the hunger for freedom strike are of mixed backgrounds and religions but we all have one thing in common, We are detained INDIFINITELY! and we are refusing food because we are DESPERATE at the treatment we endure by the HOME OFFICE, not because of religious beliefs but rather fundamental ethics regarding our rights as HUMAN BEINGS.

We feel voiceless, forgotten and ignored.

This is a desperate measure due to desperate circumstances.

One of our group was called to see a home official on Tuesday and that same official asked her “why don’t you go back to your country” she has an asylum case pending.

It does not surprise me hear this as I believe there are many xenophobes working here, and while we were talking about it amongst ourselves a Serco manager walked past and heard one of our repeat this phrase and blurted out “that’s a good idea”.

We are on a hunger strike because we are suffering unfair imprisonment and racist abuse in this archaic institution in Britain.

Sorry if this sounds a little incoherent but it’s my fourth day without food.

Tagged HungerForFreedom, protest, Yarls Wood

Anniebach Sat 05-May-18 10:41:16

And they were investigated by black Women?

trisher Sat 05-May-18 10:34:33

Yes most are of African origin. The women of course originate from many countries. They report being called names and subjected to racist comments. Things did improve a little but in March 2018 women were again on hunger strike.

Anniebach Sat 05-May-18 10:22:08

Are the majority of detainees black?

trisher Sat 05-May-18 10:17:16

The Black women who investigated then and who reported institutionalised racism are wrong then? The uninformed members of GN who have little experience of such matters and have not spoken to any of the women involved know better. Isn't that racist?
The evidence womenagainstrape.net/inthemedia/dossier-calling-yarl’s-wood-closure-chronicles-dec

Anniebach Fri 04-May-18 22:00:41

I too agree

lemongrove Fri 04-May-18 21:08:12

I agree too Iam and think that cries of ‘racism’ are bandied about far too much.It’s because they are women in a vulnerable position.

Iam64 Fri 04-May-18 21:04:52

The fact the majority of women at Yarlswood are black is obviously because of their countries of origin.
The fact they're women makes them at high risk of sexual assault and harassment. I agree with Smileless and others who say the fact they're women with no power is the main issue here.

Anniebach Fri 04-May-18 20:55:21

Parts of Lincolnshire have a large immigrant population, it also had the highest leave vote 75%

Jalima1108 Fri 04-May-18 20:21:26

^ It’s the rural areas - which are less affected by immigration - that voted Leave.^
So people who live among and work among immigrants are not worried about the effects of immigrants taking their jobs or their housing. They know the reality.
It’s fear of the unknown in more rural areas.

Not always though, mh
Some rural areas which have seen a lot of immigration from the EU have felt overwhelmed because GP services, schools, etc have not coped well with the high numbers of immigrant workers. Areas such as East Anglia voted Brexit. Larger towns in the East of England tended to vote remain but the rural areas voted decisively to leave.

Grandad1943 Fri 04-May-18 19:07:52

Problem for both leaders would be that Brexit will undoubtedly be the major debate in the forthcoming months in Parliament. However, many cross party alliances have formed over several major issues surrounding Brexit which means their would be no overall majority or party unity for either Theriesa May or Jeremy Corbyn in those palimenterary votes. The foregoing could force a general election late this year many feel.

So, you could say they are stuck with each other in what is a "right ole mess" anniebach. Heaven help us all I am beginning to think.

Anniebach Fri 04-May-18 18:47:39

This did me a giggle - are May and Corbyn stuck with each other and are we stuck with them. ?

Grandad1943 Fri 04-May-18 18:40:51

Yes and Corbyn did very well did he not anniebach.

Anniebach Fri 04-May-18 18:37:15

2014. The labour leader was Ed Milliband

2016. The labour leader was Corbyn

mmmmm

Grandad1943 Fri 04-May-18 18:31:21

To take this thread back in regard to some remarks, I certainly did not think that Labour would storm through these local council elections. The last time many of these seats were contested as in two thousand fourteen when Labour hit their high water mark in council seats won.

However, in 2016 the conservatives did very well, taking many Councils from Labour and proved to be the encouragement that brought Theresa May to the decision to go for a General Election in 2017. When the election campaign began the conservatives had those gains in mind and a Twenty point lead in the polls and were expecting to "wipe Labour out".

In the above, we all know what happened in that Election as Theresa May lost her overall majority and had to "buy" her way out of trouble by doing a deal with the Northern Ireland DUP party by "shaking the magic money tree" which cost British taxpayer many millions.

Therefore, should a General Election be forced on this government later this year as many believe could be the case, it can be argued that the Labour party will be starting from a far stronger position than they did in 2017.

However, no one should ever count their chickens before they are hatched as it is Interesting times we live in (LOL)

Baggs Fri 04-May-18 17:15:13

If most of the women at Yarls Wood are black that says more about the countries they've come from than it does about the UK.

Baggs Fri 04-May-18 17:12:22

I suspect that if some of the women were detained longer than was ideal, this was due to inefficiency of the asylum process and/or bad management at the centre. Those are bad and should be improved but they are not racist.

I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise by good evidence but until that appears I'm sticking with Carl Sagan's "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". You haven't provided that Trisher.

Baggs Fri 04-May-18 17:07:47

I wasn't sure if my memory served me right that asylum seekers are detained while their claims are checked out.

Trisher quoted: But Clarke chose to highlight his concerns about the detention of women despite professional evidence of torture, rape and trafficking.

This does not imply that the torture, rape and trafficking was happening at Yarls Wood even if it implies that there was good evidence that the women's claims as to why they were in the UK were true.

How would trafficking happen at a detention centre anyhow?