Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jacob Rees-Mogg Moves For Conservative Party Leadership.

(684 Posts)
Grandad1943 Wed 23-May-18 17:49:55

With an open attack on Theresa Mays handling of the Brexit negotiations many in the media believe that Jacob Rees-Mogg has made his first open move in a bid to become Conservative party leader and Britain's next Prime Minister.

Rees-Mogg in yet another of his ongoing interviews with the media lambasted "weak" Theresa May for preparing the UK for "Brexit failure". Rees-Mogg stated that with The British negotiators going into each set of negotiations with an attitude of "we will kowtow before you, Mr Barnier in every way you possible throughout these talks" there is no hope of success for the UK. The foregoing are undoubtedly harsh words indeed even from an arch hard line Brexitier, but many believe that there is far more to Rees-Moggs words than just Brexit.

It may well be that this hard line right wing politician has witnessed the way that Jeremy Corbyn has moved the Labour party to the left and now feels he could carry out the same in the Conservative party with the exception of that move being in the opposite direction in regards to political ground.

Evidence to the above can be seen in Rees-Moggs attack on Scottish Conservative Leader Ruth Davison, for in the same interview he stated that Davison should not be allowed to marry her longtime same sex partner as planned. However, same sex marriage legislation was put before parliament and passed in 2013 under the David Cameron coalition government.

In making the above comment Rees-Mogg is undoubtedly looking to damage Ruth Davison, who also is seen as a possible next leader of the Conservative party. That stated, it is also being seen as a move against centre ground Concervatives in parliament.

In the above can be seen shades of Momentum's original moves against centre Blairite MPs in the Labour party.

Grandad1943 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:41:55

Jalima1108, a link was posted in the original response.

I will not engage in continually posting links when forum members do not read the what is already posted

MawBroon Mon 04-Jun-18 17:41:05

Asking in a polite manner for evidence is exactly what Trisher got. Anything else you read into such simple requests suggest an overactive imagination.

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:40:43

Hahaha lemon China is very bad therefore we must never protest about the UK again because it’s not as bad? Hahahaha

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:38:31

Asking in a polite manner for evidence - you ‘avin a laff? No subtext? No of course not

Grandad1943 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:38:16

Lemongrove, Jacob Reece is not in the cabinet because he made it very clear on the Andrew Marr program that he would not accept any position even if offered.

Waiting in the wings for the top job

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:36:49

I thought people were really just asking, in a polite manner, for evidence, and yes, a link would have been interesting.

I think that Theresa May knew exactly what she was doing when she promoted SJ and what his intentions are.

Don't believe all you read in the msm, particularly the DM, Grandad!

lemongrove Mon 04-Jun-18 17:34:53

There is a huge difference between members of the public
Attacking artwork and the Government.
I think one or two on GN should try living in China for a while, they would then be able to differentiate between styles of government and never protest about the UK again.

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:33:48

It wasn’t you Jal it was the usual suspects. Who incidentally hardly ever have any evidence for anything they post but certainly enjoyed digging away at dj and her links.

lemongrove Mon 04-Jun-18 17:30:48

Since it was T May who promoted Saviid Javid I should think she knew quite a bit about him.
He is a far , far likelier contender than JRM ( who has never been in the running, or even in the Cabinet.)

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:30:00

She didn’t specify but that doesn’t stop people having a potshot at her
I wasn't taking a potshot and I don't think anyone else was - we have often been asked for 'evidence' on GN as if 'opinion' is not good enough.

trisher do you have any evidence please, as I have not heard of this being Government policy as it is in some other countries.

MawBroon Mon 04-Jun-18 17:29:04

I was actually talking about the present day Trisher the link maryeliza cites is ironically an exhibition devoted to iconoclasm of past centuries.

God knows there is enough questionable art about but we don’t go imprisoning the artist or shooting them as in the Charlie Hebdo case.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:27:47

He needs a bit more experience as Home Secretary then could be a contender.

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:25:47

Oh yes SJ threw his hat into the ring a while ago.

Grandad1943 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:19:01

I see that Sajid Javidis now changing the Conservative immigration policy without as much as a "by your leave" to Theresa May.

I am now beginning to have some sympathy for Theresa as she looks so isolated as her government continues to fall apart around her.

However, the implications for Britain in the above could not be worse, as the Brexit negotiations seem to be completely stalled on the UK side. In that, having an unstable British government at this point in time does not bode well for anyone residing in this country.

Certainly looks like a another contender throwing his hat into the ring to be a Conservative party leader

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:14:49

She didn’t specify but that doesn’t stop people having a potshot at her

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:13:55

You know sometimes people should google before they ask a question to which they think they know the answer and so take a quick sarky pot shot at someone.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:12:10

X post maryeliza

I did think that trisher meant now, but perhaps not.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:11:12

I suppose Henry VIII enjoyed his bouts of destruction which continued during the 150 or so years of the Reformation - does that count? And Oliver Cromwell flogged off much of Charles I's art collection at bargain prices.

maryeliza54 Mon 04-Jun-18 17:09:00

www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/art-under-attack-histories-british-iconoclasm

Well this will do for starters

MawBroon Mon 04-Jun-18 17:01:25

trisher Mon 04-Jun-18 15:53:27
Artists in Britain often have their work destroyed if it is considered offensive by some

Would you care to back that up with some hard facts, Trisher?.

Anniebach Mon 04-Jun-18 16:31:52

Unless Trisha was referring to that art work mocking Jews, the artist certainly wasn’t imprisoned

sunseeker Mon 04-Jun-18 16:27:47

As far as I am aware the UK government has not ordered the destruction of any artwork. There have been cases when members of the public have objected to artwork but that is not the same thing.

Anniebach Mon 04-Jun-18 16:27:18

Which artists have had their work destroyed Trisha and which art gallery were they displayed ?

trisher Mon 04-Jun-18 16:19:33

I didn't do any of those things niggly I simply posted that the destruction of art is more widespread than people might think.

nigglynellie Mon 04-Jun-18 16:14:44

I don't think you can compare western democracies to China trisher how ever hard you try!! Try a peaceful demonstration, or practising religion, or watching a film disapproved of by the leader, spitting image?!! I don't think so!! Referring Xi Jinping as the equivalent of Maybot, would probably get you a prison sentence!!