Gransnet forums

News & politics

is this acceptable from YOUR elected MP's?

(58 Posts)
paddyann Tue 12-Jun-18 21:23:43

Tory MP tells SNP MP he should go commit suicide ...during Brexit debate over devolution powers .The "esteemed "Speaker chose to ignore it.I cant see that happening if the shoe was on the other foot . The filibustering continued until time was up on the motion.Scottish powers will be taken back by Westminster and NOT returned to Scotland from the EU .Its a disgrace!

varian Wed 20-Jun-18 18:54:31

My MP is a brexit supporting Tory. He does not represent me or most folk I know round here. He might as well be the proverbial sack of potatoes wearing a blue rosette.

mcem Wed 20-Jun-18 10:04:07

Thanks for the link granny23.
VERY interesting!
My tablet froze so I think I missed the question session but what a fascinating/frustrating look at HoC 'procedures'.
The contrast between the voting systems (and timing) of Holyrood and Wasteminster were particularly interesting!

POGS Wed 20-Jun-18 09:20:43

Can I ask what the PM meant by :-

" If the right hon. Gentleman is concerned about the legislative process the House has followed, he should really ask why the Labour party used procedural manoeuvres last night to ensure that there was no debate on the amendments that referred to Scotland. "

It's all very complicated and I am not arguing for or against the point the SNP are making but I think the protest by the SNP only stopped them from asking the question during PMQ's and making their point in Hansard for all to see and hear.

It was a stunt that backfired to some , to others it was a genius move to stick 2 fingers up to Westminster .

You takes her pick.

Granny23 Tue 19-Jun-18 23:01:46

Mhairi Black explaining the Westminster system

www.thenational.scot/news/16300034.WATCH__Mhairi_Black_brilliantly_exposes_the_ridiculous_Westminster_system_in_this_viral_video/?ref=mr&lp=1

mcem Sun 17-Jun-18 22:34:17

I believe that convention dictates that this call stops business immediately and Bercow was wrong to delay it by 15 minutes. Blackford was in effect protesting about the way that Scottish mp's had been totally excluded from the debate concerning the 'power grab'. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of how this was handled (far too late tonight)
I'd like to know why it was ok to break parliamentary protocol in this case but the Deputy Speaker stuck strictly to the rules when the ridiculous Chope shouted "object"!
Sauce? Goose? Gander?

Anniebach Sun 17-Jun-18 22:04:04

Publicity

POGS Sun 17-Jun-18 21:04:02

Can somebody explain why Ian Blackford (Ross, Skye and Lochaber, SNP) asked the Speaker ' to ask that this 'House do now sit in private ' ?

What were the SNP hoping would be gained by stopping the public viewing the process of Parliament ?

My understanding of what happened, I was watching it live on t.v, the Speaker gave Blackford what he was asking for but the Speaker said after PMQ's a vote could be taken not immediately as Blackford was calling for.

I thought it was poetic justice if I remember correctly there were 4/5 questions that SNP members did not get to ask because they had all left PMQ's . Again what was the point of them doing that, what did they gain by not being there to challenge the PM?

trisher Sat 16-Jun-18 11:11:25

Unfortunately in this instance Riverwalk it is the English MPs with the support of the DUP of course who have "snatched" the power and who have effectively disenfranchised voters in Scotland. You have posted that Scottish MPs have voted on matters in England in a way you dislike, but suppose only Scottish MPs were allowed to vote on something English? You would find that even more unacceptable, but that is in fact what English MPs have done. And you may not have voted for them but they are still English.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Jun-18 18:17:16

To balance things, I know several people who didn’t bother to vote in the referendum because they said it wouldn’t make any difference, we wouldn’t come out anyway as London wanted to stay in.

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Jun-18 18:15:03

Quite River

Riverwalk Fri 15-Jun-18 17:28:27

I'm well aware of the devolved powers trisher and the issues raised - I was commenting on the OP's tone/accusations in her use of YOUR MPs, obviously addressing English members.

Those of us south of the border are not collectively responsible for every arsehole Tory MP.

trisher Fri 15-Jun-18 15:08:04

But powers were devolved Riverwalk and snatching them back when you choose to because it suits the particular policy you are pursuing at the time is totally undemocratic. Had the vote on the EU been pitched to the three nations as a vote to leave meaning the loss of devolved powers I suspect the remain vote would have been much higher.

Granny23 Fri 15-Jun-18 15:00:43

Couldn't happen now Riverwalk as any change would be taken under EVEL rules, with no Scots based MPs allowed in the chamber.

Riverwalk Fri 15-Jun-18 14:52:36

I do so dislike when members pitch one part of the UK against another. Along the lines of when YOUR Scots MPs help Labour impose university fees on the rest of the UK, when hitherto all was free.

Without YOUR MPs votes it would never have been passed.

University fees …. something even Mrs Thatcher thought beyond the pale.

They are OUR MPs.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 13:42:30

I don’t think enough people took the vote seriously . I think many people didn’t vote because they assumed they didn’t need to and the rest would make sure we stayed in the EU. Then there are some others ( like a few of the dafties I work with) who believed that “foreigners were stealing their jobs” and voted leave. Sadly they could be proved right as quite a few of our customers are moving their operations to Central Europe as a result of Brexit .

trisher Fri 15-Jun-18 13:36:49

But of course they're not allowed to!

It seems that the British parliament want power to be returned to Britain, but are happy to strip power from the Scots and N Irish

Granny23 Fri 15-Jun-18 09:19:28

Although we can say with certainty that most people living in Scotland and NI, would prefer to remain in the EU.

petra Fri 15-Jun-18 07:10:13

most British people would prefer to remain in the eu
They obviously didn't prefer it enough to get off their backsides and vote for it, did they?

NfkDumpling Fri 15-Jun-18 06:27:27

How can you be so sure that most people would prefer to remain in the EU varian? That’s not the impression I get around here.

mcem Thu 14-Jun-18 20:41:50

Yes varian had David C put that proviso in place we wouldn't be in this mess now.
One more example of the arrogance of today's self-serving Tory party.
With 5000+ applications in 24 hours to join the SNP and the ridiculous David Mundell faffing about and declaring that he was 'just about to' introduce the necessary debate, the Tories have done an excellent PR job for the SNP.

varian Thu 14-Jun-18 19:26:36

In 1979 the first Scottish Devolution referendum resulted in a vote of 52% in favour, 48% against, but this decision was not enacted because less than 40% of the electorate had voted in favour. If the 40% threshold had been reached, it would have become law.

In 2016 no such safeguard was put in place because the referendum was ADVISORY. If it had been uintended to be enacted, the 40% requirement would have been put in place.

This "will of the people" nonsense is a fabrication of the right wing press. Most British people would prefer to remain in the EU and that is what should happen.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Jun-18 18:48:54

It's a bearpit.

Most of the work gets done behind the scenes in committees.

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Jun-18 16:51:40

I’ve long given up watching anything broadcast from parliament as I find it too embarrassing that grown up, supposedly mature, intelligent people can act the way they do in the chamber. They seem to believe that because of the immunity granted in there to voice an opinion they can act worse than mindless yobs. A fine example to the youth of today and no wonder that few want to have anything to do with it. And that’s just what we see. What goes on by way of bullying and blackmail behind the scenes can only be imagined if this is the standard of behaviour they think is ok.

NfkDumpling Thu 14-Jun-18 16:47:19

That’s worrying Granny23. I don’t know if they’d dare - it’d be political suicide!

Grandad1943 Thu 14-Jun-18 15:21:35

Granny23, I believe that what we all witnessed yesterday should concern all who wish to see the not only the preservation of the Union, but also the much wider preservation of our very democracy.

What we took place in the House of Commons was not democracy in action, it was the appalling behaviour of people who seemed to have learned no better on all sides of the house.

In my honest opinion, had football supporters behaved towards one another in the way that those MPs did, then those very same MPs would in all probability be the first to have condemned them.

The Speaker got it wrong, the SNP leader got it wrong and the rest of the rabble bayed like a pack of wild animals. However, wild animals when they make such notices do so for very good reason. However, those MPs should have realised they had no such reason with the exception of the fact they know no discipline or respect.

Disgusting.