Gransnet forums

News & politics

so, when will you be starting stockpiling I wonder?

(769 Posts)
jura2 Wed 18-Jul-18 17:18:41

the floor is yours

Joelsnan Sat 04-Aug-18 14:29:25

Just done a Wikipaedia on Pickled Walnuts, i will give them a go...if needs must.

Jalima1108 Fri 03-Aug-18 22:57:43

^ it would be prickled Hedgehog.^
grin

Pickled eggs in large jars always looked disgusting too NfkD

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Aug-18 22:07:48

I’ve never been able to eat pickled walnuts since I was teenage and someone I worked with (he was very coarse) told me they looked like pickled rude bits.

Joelsnan Fri 03-Aug-18 21:14:30

Mawbroon
Are the pickled walnuts available year round, are they available in most supermarkets. Do you eat them out of the jar/tin or do you just use them in cooking.
I may buy one to try and if okay cancel my arrangement with grandad and start my stockpile immediately.
I think I might need to buy a dog to go rabbiting.

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Aug-18 18:45:55

Thanks for that Lemongrove and Joelsnan. Has been a vey long week and we definitely needed a really good laugh.

MawBroon Fri 03-Aug-18 18:43:26

Pickled walnuts are a delicious adjunct to Delia’s venison casserole - a Christmas Eve favourite, although I suppose possibly in poor taste (Sorry Rudolph et al)

Joelsnan Fri 03-Aug-18 18:40:48

grandad1943
I have not tried pickled walnuts. I do like the 'fresh' variety but not sure if we have walnut trees growing in this area. When i have honed my hunting skills maybe i could swap you a couple of jars of pickled walnuts for a couple of jugged hares (or rabbits) as the case may be. Would the first available pony express suffice. Local gypsies are settting in motion TNT type delivereies using their horses and global family connections.

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Aug-18 18:25:49

Although thinking about it, instead of having pickled walnuts, it would be prickled Hedgehog. grin

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Aug-18 18:22:11

I would consider eating the hedgehogs as a last resort, but the wife has put our emergency stock pickled walnuts between the weedkiller and the ant powder in the shed.

I don't think I would want to consider eating those Hedgehogs if they have consumed the pickled walnuts, even in the direst emergency. confused

Joelsnan Fri 03-Aug-18 18:06:43

lemongrove
I wonder if they taste like chicken?
My sister did eat guinea pig in south america which she said was okay, However the fact that it had just been opened from chin to gonads to barbecue and then presented on a plate was a bit off putting.
I havent eaten rabbit since i was a child my skittish rabbit disappeared from its cage and appeared as rabbit stew. My mother would never admit it was my rabbit but the evidence was strong. We have loads of tabbits where i live so will have to re-tune my psyche and my palate and ''i will be alright Jack'

lemongrove Fri 03-Aug-18 17:47:52

You could always bake the hedgehogs.

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Aug-18 17:43:52

Carol, my wife has moved our stock of pickled walnuts out into my new garden shed. I am worried the hedgehogs which I think have taken up residence under there will scoff that lot and then we will definitely not survive a hard Brexit

muffinthemoo Fri 03-Aug-18 16:53:45

Disaster!!

My husband has already moved his tools into my under stair cupboard in the new house that I had earmarked for my Brexit stockpile!!

Anyone want bags full of tools?

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Aug-18 16:40:55

PECS, many thanks for sharing the Sky News link in your post @ 7:31 today.

In my view Sky News has been by far the best media channel in giving in-depth analysis of Brexit and all the issues surrounding it.

That conflicts readily with other media and press channels such as the Daily Mail, The Sun and the Times who seem to have adopted a position of "lets all stick our fingers in our ears, our heads in the sand and jump of the cliff, for without doubt our pickled walnuts will save us". grin

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Aug-18 07:53:00

Sorry, that was for Granny 18.20 last evening. Hadn’t caught up!

NfkDumpling Fri 03-Aug-18 07:50:54

Seconded.

PECS Fri 03-Aug-18 07:31:52

This may be of interest to those in this debate
news.sky.com/story/long-read-governments-no-deal-brexit-plans-lost-on-m20-motorway-11454929

petra Thu 02-Aug-18 22:30:06

joelsnan
I think we're doing pretty well. The eu are not ones too rush, after all they are now on the 10th, or is it 11 years that the Canada deal has been on the table.
They were doing the tango to the finali when the walloons put the brake on ( at least it put Wallonia on the map) grin
But now, the Italians don't want to Tango.
Something to do with the cheese makers grin

lemongrove Thu 02-Aug-18 22:03:37

Well said GrannyGravy

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Aug-18 20:54:15

I really hope that the the UK negotiators are keeping their cards close to their chests.

If all was out in the public domain the negotiations would be negated. Brexit has basically been reduced to a poker game!! "Who blinks first" looses the most.

Whatever way we voted, the vote has been and gone and we have to 'big up' our position , play our best hand and get on with negotiations.

No amount of moralising or raking over EU directives, Civil Service leaks etc. are helpful.

MaizieD Thu 02-Aug-18 20:30:44

How many other trade negotiations have been expected to be played out in such a public arena.

There aren't any trade negotiations with the EU going on at the moment. We're still trying to reach a Withdrawal Agreement. No trade negotiations until that is done.

PamelaJ1 Thu 02-Aug-18 17:22:32

I think automated picking is already on the way Baggs. I’m sure that I saw an article on tv about it

Joelsnan Thu 02-Aug-18 17:16:04

So much pessimism in what is nothing more than the 'Tango to the finale'

How many other trade negotiations have been expected to be played out in such a public arena. Maybe we should insist the world adopts our negotiating demands and publish everything on the table. Then we could do away with all of international trade spies

Jalima1108 Thu 02-Aug-18 17:06:58

Far from even attempting to provide such leadership our politicians on all sides take a long holiday
I am not sure that they will all be taking 'a holiday' in the accepted sense of the word, though, Grandad.

lemongrove Thu 02-Aug-18 16:57:47

I expect there will be much going on behind the scenes that you (or anyone) doesn’t get to see Grandad1943 and therefore that gloomy prognosis should be put on ice.