Gransnet forums

News & politics

Exit from Brexit

(505 Posts)
varian Mon 06-Aug-18 18:13:52

Brexit has not yet happened, and there can be no certainty that it ever will.

www.gfmag.com/topics/blogs/uk-could-exit-brexit

Allygran1 Tue 07-Aug-18 22:21:20

Varian at time your words are so full of 'bile' that my heart goes out to you. I want to be cross with you, but something jumps across the screen and it makes me think that you are sat on the other side wanting and hoping that your words will hurt. They don't.

Your bile even extends to those who will never know your intensity. As highlighted below:

Sadly too many of them have since been bullied by the right-wing media and their party leaders into putting aside their own better judgement and feebly following the lying leaver campaign, although they must know that any kind of brexit is likely to inflict untold damage on their constituents and the UK as a whole.

Lets take a look at their party leaders^whom you say have ^bullied into putting aside their own better judgement.

In the General Election, these MP's stood on a Party mandate a Pro Brexit party mandate, they were elected or re-elected on that mandate, many in constituencies who voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU at the Referendum. What those MP's personally voted at the Referendum is irrelevant, if they are voted in on a Pro Brexit mandate. Therefore their Party Leaders, have every right to expect that MP's will honour their Party's promises to the public and theirs by standing on that mandate for election their own constituents.

To honour their promises is not as you put it feebly done, it is a brave and honourable thing to do. Honour and sticking by ones word is admirable, not feeble.

As for your acidic comment "lying leaver campaign", well Varian I refer you to my first sentence.

ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-figures/what-is-a-free-trade-agreement/

Allygran1 Tue 07-Aug-18 22:26:37

Varian sorry I put a link on my last post. It has nothing to do with your post...well not directly although it is explaining every aspect simply of the common terms used in Brexit.

I found it easy to read and informative but not meant for you post. Anyone interested though it is a good explanation of every thing Brexit by category, like, hard border, regulatory rules, free trade agreements etc etc.

ukandeu.ac.uk/fact-figures/what-is-a-free-trade-agreement/

varian Wed 08-Aug-18 15:31:31

UK holidaymakers heading to Europe this summer just suffered a blow.

The pound has weakened against the euro to its lowest level since last November, meaning trips across the channel have become a little more expensive.

Sterling fell as low as €1.1129, down 0.25% today.

www.theguardian.com/business/live/2018/aug/08/us-china-trade-war-pound-euro-brexit-oil-business-live?page=with:block-5b6aacf9e4b038d7c3b15dd7#block-5b6aacf9e4b038d7c3b15dd7

varian Sun 12-Aug-18 20:17:07

The market’s sharp reaction to the UK referendum result, the record plunge in sterling and a sharp sell-off in both London and other European stock markets, has been based on the assumption that Britain is definitely going to leave the European Union and all that’s left to discuss are the terms of the divorce settlement.

But Brexit has not yet happened, and there can be no certainty that it ever will.

www.gfmag.com/topics/blogs/uk-could-exit-brexit

Allygran1 Sun 12-Aug-18 22:02:36

The action on the markets is as a result of the Turkish Lira nose dive and contagion across the EU and the World. Sell off is happening World wide.

Brexit is happening, can you imagine what would happen if the majority vote in two elections in the UK was not fulfilled. That would be the end of confidence in the Parliamentary system, Politicians, and you might as well hand over to the Anarchists. Is that what you want Varian?

lemongrove Sun 12-Aug-18 22:15:21

Varian you have become obsessed with Brexit! It must have taken over your life for the last couple of years.

varian Sun 12-Aug-18 22:29:15

I have a life for which I am very grateful. I have been fortunate to have been a UK citizen at a time when all of us in the UK have been able to enjoy the many advantages of living in an EU country and I would like my children and grandchildren to continue to enjoy these advantages.

lemongrove Sun 12-Aug-18 22:48:42

Going on and on about it won’t do any good, nor will it change anything.

lemongrove Sun 12-Aug-18 22:52:57

Why not wait and see how you feel next year when we are actually out of the EU and your life has not become worse, neither has it for your children and grandchildren.
The negativity is bringing you down, nothing else.

Allygran1 Sun 12-Aug-18 23:14:52

Sensible and kind advise Lemongrove.

MaizieD Mon 13-Aug-18 00:05:18

In your opinion, Ally.

Allygran1 Mon 13-Aug-18 00:50:52

Well it can't be in anyone else opinion can it Maizie!

varian Mon 13-Aug-18 08:03:37

All the evidence points to any kind of brexit being disastrous. We have repeatedly asked what the benefits are supposed to be and all we get is "wait and see"

"wait and see"? Is that the best you can do??

MaizieD Mon 13-Aug-18 08:36:06

All the evidence points to any kind of brexit being disastrous.

But we're constantly being told that no-one can predict the future, varian. Do keep up grin

No-one, that is, apart from Leavers who absolutely know that Brexit is going to be fine. hmm

M0nica Mon 13-Aug-18 09:28:54

Interesting front page article in the Observer yesterday saying that if the referendum was re-run there would be a large remain majority as so many people have changed their mind on the issue.

I am not sure I believe that, but as a remainer I hope that Brexit goes through as soon as possible, while it is still possible to change our minds should Brexit prove a disaster. the longer it takes to negotiate the more difficult it will be to re-enter if it doen't work and we will be consigned to a foot note in history and become an unsuccessful country with a flat economy as Ireland was before it entered the EU.

GillT57 Mon 13-Aug-18 09:42:07

The closer we get to this disaster the more I worry, so lemon and ally your platitudes about ^Why not wait and see how you feel next year when we are actually out of the EU^ do not bring me comfort, in fact the very opposite. I have yet, despite many requests, to receive any idea of what good is going to come from this financial and political suicide, apart from vague statements about 'taking back control'.....of what? Doesn't the fact that even the Remainers are talking about some sort of damage limitation/best we can do scenario rather than glorious uplands of eternal sunshine and unicorns worry you? Even JRM is talking about two generations for the benefits to be felt, that is one hell of a prediction don't you think? Some of us may no longer be here by then, maybe some of our children, this is as irresponsible and utterly selfish as leaving a load of nuclear waste for future generations to deal with. Your faith is touching lemon, but just because Ally can cut and paste huge pages of justification, doesn't make it right. Nor does my opinion of course, but it is my own and I am truly concerned about what is ahead for me and my family, all brought about for no good reason at all

paddyann Mon 13-Aug-18 10:11:54

I spoke to some English people the day after the vote and they thought we should"give it a chance and if it doesn't work we can go back in".I say English folk because I was in the north of England at the time so it was their opinions I asked.I dont know any Scots who voted leave although I do know there are some .I did try to explain that it wasn't like an election with a change every 4 or 5 years but they seemed to think it would be easy to reverse.I was back in the same place recently and the atitude of some was very different and they can see the jobs disappearing along with the NHS staff that are so badly needed.
Maybe some of our Brexiteers here can explain what we'll do for NHS staff and employment when it all heads towards the continent or Ireland ?

Diana54 Mon 13-Aug-18 10:37:54

Apparently a poll by the Guardian now reports that over 100 constituencies have now swung to remain, including Boris's and Gove's, IF it is true are they going to change sides citing the Will of the People.

There may be hope for sanity yet.

lemongrove Mon 13-Aug-18 10:49:49

GillT57
I realise that ‘waiting and seeing’ is not popular on GN, who’s posters seem to want instant predictions, but it is still the most sensible thing to do.
To me and many others, it seems worthwhile for the UK, even it it takes some years ( if the economy dips) to be truly in charge of our own country for every single thing.
Most of the world isn’t in the EU btw and prefer to be masters of their own fate.
Who knows what will happen with the EU in the future in any case, it doesn’t look good.
I have no ‘touching faith’ but am one of the over 17 million who thinks we should disassociate ourselves with this political behemoth apart from some trade deals.

nigglynellie Mon 13-Aug-18 11:18:58

A lot of people are easily swayed one way or the other depending on what the media tells them. Ask them in a year's time and a lot will have changed their minds - AGAIN!! As Lemon and others have said a lot of us were perfectly happy belonging to a trade organisation, in fact we embraced it, but other than that we basically don't want to be part of an out of date organization run by overpaid, bullying bureaucrats, with a rubber stamp parliament purporting to be democratic! We don't want to become part of a federal state, along with a lot of EU countries who equally are waking up to the fact that this is exactly what lies ahead - in other words the grand plan is that the EU will become your country, with its own parliament, army, money, and so on, and where you live, a province of that country called Europe, with individual parliaments reduced to no more than the local authority, answerable, of course, to our new country, Europe. To coin a phrase, NO, NO, NO.

varian Mon 13-Aug-18 11:31:15

Since any brexit news item from the Guardian seems to be labelled "fake news" or "project fear", I have turned to the Leavers' bible, the Daily Mail to read the following-

"Supermarket giants have warned a no-deal Brexit would force up the price of a weekly food shop by 12 per cent. Executives from the big four supermarkets said the biggest tariffs on EU imports would include cheese, up by 44 per cent, beef, 40 per cent, and chicken, 20 per cent. The predictions were laid bare in briefings to the Treasury on the impact of a no-deal Brexit on shoppers. "

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6052111/Supermarket-giants-warn-no-deal-Brexit-force-food-prices-12-cheese-beef.html

nigglynellie Mon 13-Aug-18 11:57:39

There are other factors in the world apart from brexit that can and do cause financial fluctuations. Turkey doesn't look very promising on the financial fronts along with Italy, Greece, Portugal and who knows who in the pipe line. Propping up all these faltering countries if we stay in the EU doesn't sound particularly attractive, especially long term!

varian Mon 13-Aug-18 12:07:28

If Britain is forced into a ‘tragic’ No Deal Brexit with the European Union then ‘the only person rejoicing will be Vladimir Putin’, Britain’s Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said

www.dailystar.co.uk/news/politics/720123/Brexit-news-vladimir-putin-jeremy-hunt-paris-france-no-deal-kremlin

Probably not quite true that Putin would be the only person rejoicing. His accolytes Arron Banks, Steve Bannon, Farage, Rees-Mogg and a few tax dodging billionaires and speculators would also be pretty happy.

Jalima1108 Mon 13-Aug-18 12:41:51

varian there are constant fluctuations in the foreign exchange rates over the years for various reasons.

varian Mon 13-Aug-18 13:54:53

Yes there are fluctuations in exchange rates and that is how some people manage to make a lot of money. On the night of the referendum Farage's apparent concession was very helpful to some of his friends.

Sources told Bloomberg that they believed Brexit to have generated “one of the most profitable single days in the history of their industry.” Odey Asset Management, run by the Conservative party donor and leave supporter Crispin Odey, is reported to have made $300m from Brexit.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/26/nigel-farage-remain-won-brexit-bloomberg