Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brown Bears

(13 Posts)
crystaltipps Thu 09-Aug-18 18:11:50

If you really want to
See inside a British pig farm www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.peta.org.uk/blog/disturbing-look-inside-british-pig-farm/amp/

crystaltipps Thu 09-Aug-18 18:08:17

More than 170,000 pigs die in transport each year, and more than 420,000 are crippled by the time they arrive at the slaughterhouse. Transport trucks, which carry pigs hundreds of miles through all weather extremes with no food or water, regularly flip over, throwing injured and dying animals onto the road. These terrified and injured animals are rarely offered veterinary care, and most languish in pain for hours; some even bleed to death on the side of the road. After an accident in Smithfield spokesperson Jerry Hostetter told one reporter, “I hate to admit it, but it happens all the time.”

crystaltipps Thu 09-Aug-18 16:33:26

But are they doing that? No they are building bigger industrial scale abattoirs. Mostly staffed by Latvians for some reason. I’m just arguing against animal cruelty whether it’s bears, pigs or dogs. I don’t see a difference. They are all sentient creatures who shouldn’t be exploited. I don’t understand why it’s ok to eat one species and not another.

OldMeg Thu 09-Aug-18 16:24:49

Totally agree FarNorth

Elegran Thu 09-Aug-18 12:14:52

crystaltipps It is actually not OK any more to chain up pigs in tiny crates in the UK. I don't like the idea of them being transported squashed up and hot either, but in fact they are in a worse situation if they have more space - they have to balance while the truck is moving, and are likely to fall over and break a leg when the truck stops and they all slide to the front. The answer is small abbatoirs staffed by experienced and well-supervised stockmen, near where they are being raised freerange with space to roam and root about, but like all else, to conform to hygeine regulations, abbatoirs get more expensive to build, bigger and further apart, and employing more people who may not always have the interest in animal welfare that a good stockman has.

FarNorth Thu 09-Aug-18 12:00:24

Of course an individual can do that, OldMeg.
But it would be nice if our society didn't support the practice at all, especially if a safer, non-cruel treatment has now been found.

OldMeg Wed 08-Aug-18 16:51:34

So, if your doctor prescribes you Prempak-C or Premarin, refuse to accept the prescription. You are under no obligation to accept it. Object on the grounds of animal cruelty and the fact that it is associated with higher risks.

crystaltipps Tue 07-Aug-18 22:03:46

Why is it worse to eat dogs than pigs? Pigs are intelligent creatures and have the capacity to learn. Yet it’s ok to chain them up in tiny crates where they can’t move, transport them squashed up in boiling hot trucks and slash their throats. All animal cruelty makes me sick.

Willow500 Tue 07-Aug-18 20:03:49

How wonderful - the park is only a few miles from us and I've been following the story from the very start when they rescued the lions from Romania after a campaign to raise money to get them here. It's now an amazing place and does a great job of rescuing animals. These bears will have a fantastic life and I'm looking forward to going and seeing them settled in their new home.

nigglynellie Tue 07-Aug-18 17:03:00

HRT ingredients are harvested from pregnant mares mainly in Canada and North America not in the UK or Western Europe. It's known to have adverse effects on some patients and there is now an alternative which is both safer and clearly without this awful cruelty aspect. A friend refused to take the horse brand when she found out how it was obtained. Hopefully it will soon be a thing of the past.

nigglynellie Tue 07-Aug-18 16:44:52

No I think it's China that indulges in this vile habit, maybe other countries in Asia, but I'm fairly certain its not Japan. However, these poor creatures were kept in tiny cages for the public to gawp at in dreadful conditions. Thank goodness they have been rescued. It beggars belief how cruel some countries are to animals, just awful! I think that there is soon to be legislation banning the eating of dogs! Guess where? In Britain!! I can't believe it's not illegal in Western Europe, but apparently not and is now be becoming an issue among some communities! America is hoping for a similar ban too.
Here's for hoping asap!

OldMeg Tue 07-Aug-18 16:25:14

Are these the bears kept for harvesting their bile? It’s inhuman and degrading to any society that keeps animals restricted in cages or tied up just to harvest their bodily secretions.

But then we do exactly the same to mares (female horses) so we can harvest HRT ingredients.

Let’s not be too quick to cast the first stone....those in glass houses...?

Rosina Tue 07-Aug-18 15:32:33

I've just seen the footage of the brown bears rescued from tiny cages in Japan and now resettled in a Yorkshire wildlife park. It was wonderful to see the bear foraging in the earth for insects - the first time he has been able to do that in his entire life - and another bear looking decidedly happy sloshing about in some water. What good news; what a better life for them