Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson's Latest 'Gaff'

(660 Posts)
Lyndiloo Wed 08-Aug-18 01:26:36

Is it just me?

Watching the tv tonight and noting the 'shock-horror' over Boris Johnson's refusal to apologise for saying that women wearing the burka look like letter-boxes.

Why all the fuss? I'm sick of the media snatching odd, trivial comments and making mountains out of them! (Haven't we got more things to worry about than this?)

Yes, I suppose that comment was a bit rude. But a sacking offence? I think not.

In his defence, in his article in the The Daily Telegraph, Mr. Johnson did not support Denmark's new face-covering ban. And all this talk about him being 'Islamophobic' is completely groundless. So, he said something, publicly, that could be considered 'insensitive' by some.

But why are we all so quick nowadays to be offended by throw-away, silly, comments?

Get a life! (Or some more important news!)

Jalima1108 Sun 26-Aug-18 15:41:53

I agree MawBroonbut I understand that she has now been returned to prison.

In fact Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was the victim of the Iranian regime, not of Boris Johnson. Whether or not his gaffe hindered her cause we will not know.
Let's hope, anyway, that with a change of FS, some progress might be made in her case.

I don't think Trump is helping matters either.

petra Sun 26-Aug-18 14:30:52

MawBroon
I'm with you all the way. We need someone like Ross Perot who was determined to get two of his workers out of Iran ( who had been illegally imprisoned) come hell or high water: and he did it, without the help of the US government.
We have the best in the world to accomplish this wink

oldbatty Sun 26-Aug-18 13:34:43

Just posting this to provide some back up for my earlier comments.

oldbatty Sun 26-Aug-18 13:33:38

arrivals into low-paid work and helping to raise local tensions, according to a study by the Institute for Public Policy Research thinktank (IPPR). It found there had been dramatic cuts in funding for English lessons and other help, and that more than 37% of EU migrants are overqualified for their jobs in the UK.

MawBroon Thu 23-Aug-18 16:48:45

My (unworthy) thought is that they should try to spirit her, her daughter and parents out of the ountry!

varian Thu 23-Aug-18 14:35:18

Good news for the victim of one of BJ's dreadful gaffs-

"Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British woman in prison in Iran, has been reunited with her daughter during a three day release. It is the first time she has been allowed out of prison since her arrest in April 2016. The 40-year-old is currently with her family in Damavand, north east of Tehran, the Free Nazanin campaign confirmed."

news.sky.com/story/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-reunited-with-daughter-during-three-day-iran-prison-release-11480116

This is only for three days. Let's hope she is soon properly released.

Chewbacca Mon 20-Aug-18 15:57:55

It has indeed been pointed out, again and again and again, that the dislike of the burka and the niqab is nothing to do with colour or race or religion. It is everything to do with the garment itself. I posted this exact statement:

^Chewbacca 12.08 12.08.2018*

PS Many of the niqab wearing women are British

I don't think it's the nationality of the person wearing the burka or niqab that's causing the furore. It's the garment itself which so many are unhappy to see.

But it is, apparently, perfectly acceptable to post discriminatory remarks about "some fat, blonde Bullington boy". I repeat: double standards.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 14:31:03

I give up. Maybe some people reading this lengthy thread will understand what I have been trying to say.

We are all soaking up information, especially in the digital age. Images of black , cloaked figures with their faces covered are not a positive thing. See page 4 of this thread for an image.

Little by little it seeps into our minds that people are different, perhaps to be feared or avoided.
Its wrong, young children don't appear to do it but adults make assumptions.
As I say, really I have tried to put forward my ideas but now its time to withdraw from the debate.

Joelsnan Mon 20-Aug-18 12:57:35

oldbatty
It would be interesting to hear what propoganda led you to consider those who choose the burqua to be different to you.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 11:50:48

Like other people, many of whom are on this thread, sadly I had to some extent been a victim of propaganda which skewed my expectations.

Joelsnan Mon 20-Aug-18 11:33:09

oldbatty
. Since mixing with women who wear them, actually talking to them, going to their homes and so on, I discover they are exactly the same as me

What did you expect? yes, they are strong women just like you and me.

Fennel Mon 20-Aug-18 11:19:59

And dark-skinned Indian Jews. I met one last week, a very charming lady.

Jalima1108 Mon 20-Aug-18 10:09:04

How can you separate the burka wearing from the colour and religion
You can.
Especially if you know -people who are Muslim and white. However, non burka-wearing.

Just as I know Indian Roman Catholics.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 10:04:57

How can you separate the burka wearing from the colour and religion? They are linked.

I don't wear either. Some time ago, I may have had misgivings. Since mixing with women who wear them, actually talking to them, going to their homes and so on, I discover they are exactly the same as me.

I think it serves certain people in politics to stir the pot for whatever reason.

lemongrove Mon 20-Aug-18 09:39:32

oldbatty You have got it so wrong!
Nothing to do with race or colour at all.
All about seeing the face of a person, and how important that is for both integration and security.
Unless you are a burqa or niquab wearer yourself why are you being so contentious?

PamelaJ1 Mon 20-Aug-18 09:27:28

I wholeheartedly agree with Jane and Joelsnan.

Joelsnan Mon 20-Aug-18 09:21:56

'Oldbatty*
It has been reiterated time and time again that the Burka issue has nothing to do with race, colour or religion for that fact. It is personal choice and whether as a tiny minority who choose to wear this garb should do so whilst the majority of society (worldwide) consider they should not.

Jane10 Mon 20-Aug-18 09:18:05

No it isn't at least in my case. I have friends of all creeds and colours not that I've ever thought of them as such. The people I know as friends don't hide their faces. Full stop. That's why I personally object to burkas and niquabs.

oldbatty Mon 20-Aug-18 09:11:31

It is a waste of time comparing a white middle class person who has a second home in France with a non white person who has migrated to the UK as a sanctuary seeker or economic migrant.

The two scenarios are completely different. The whole " ban the burka" cry is about race and colour. Lets not pretend otherwise.

Nandalot Mon 20-Aug-18 08:47:32

Okay, but I understood that the EHIC meant that you received healthcare in the country that you are visiting on the same terms as the nationals. It was a reciprocal agreement so no claim on the home nation. I’ve tried to google it. Does anyone know the actual facts?

Chewbacca Mon 20-Aug-18 08:32:46

They aren't a drain on the Spanish healthcare system though Nandalot. British expats in Spain have the EHIC card.

Nandalot Mon 20-Aug-18 08:26:21

It has been shown that immigrants bring net value to this country. You are assuming that the bulk come in and are a burden on the welfare state. Our hospitals, care homes and fields used to be full of such workers...before some left feeling unwelcome.
I am sure the Spanish government find the retirees on the Spanish costa quite a drain on their health budget.

Joelsnan Mon 20-Aug-18 07:42:28

OldMeg
Whilst there are a small percentage of overseas residents in the U.K. as a result of civil war or other in their country of origin, the vast majority are economic migrants.
In just about every instance Brits on the continent add value, they buy and renovate properties and the are financially non dependent on the state.

Chewbacca Mon 20-Aug-18 07:39:23

confused That's a whole different subject OldMeg. The issues of why immigrants travel through many other safe European countries, where they could settle in peace and safety, and yet elect to come to the UK, is surely a subject for a different thread.

OldMeg Mon 20-Aug-18 07:13:52

Don’t the ‘English in France’ have houses, incomes and have chosen to live in France. Or did we have a civil war, famine, an invading force, ethnic cleansing in the UK that somehow passed me by?