Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn / BBC declare social class of employees?

(509 Posts)
POGS Thu 23-Aug-18 00:23:58

It is said Corbyn will today (Thursday) announce how Labour will reform the BBC. If this turns out to be false news then I apologise now.

It is being discussed in the media how one of his /Labours ideas is for the BBC to declare the ' Social Class ' of employees.

If this is even a thought I find that principal very alarming and if true I expect the Labour Party to lead by example and do the same for all employees including the Shadow Cabinet and all MP's.

How do you work out a persons Social Class? By Wealth, Education, Family background?

I would tell somebody requiring that of me to ' Go Forth'.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 20:07:04

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=my+old+man%27s+a+dustma&qpvt=my+old+man%27s+a+dustma&view=detail&mid=2A87CDEB7986381AE2682A87CDEB7986381AE268&&FORM=VRDGAR

(actually, he wasn't, but I liked that song!)

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 20:00:22

Not ALL forms/applications ask for your ethnic origin or disability.

It depends on what you are applying for and there are many things that information is perfectly agreeable to be asked .

What forms/applications do you know of that asks for your Social Class?

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 19:54:26

[sigh]

Yes
That has been the norm for years. However, these results are not published except as a general statistic, nor do they ask about your parents' social standing/income/career path or whether or not they are a member of the aristocracy.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 19:53:31

You keep deviating from answering a very simple question !

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 19:49:24

Do people really not know all application forms now ask for your ethnic origins and if you have a disability? Monitoring is standard practice.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 19:47:52

But Jalima even amongst convict descendants there are social class divisions

Gosh trisher I never knew
Fancy that.

What would we ignoramuses on GN do without you to teach us all these interesting facts.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 19:36:50

trisher

Why is the BBC employee , those who work for or produce programmes for the BBC a special breed to want to know their Social Class. ? Why is it being trotted out under the label of ' transparency'? Why not their political allegiance, sexual orientation , race etc.

You espouse your opinion but do you have any thought to the above question ?

lemongrove Sat 01-Sep-18 19:36:03

no country is completely classless [ but who said it was?]
social snobbery continues in Australia and the US, just as in other countries, the difference nowadays is that money is the overriding factor, as anyone from any class may stay at the Ritz or a fancy restaurant if they have wealth.
Things [class] are not what they formerly were.

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 19:30:07

But Jalima even amongst convict descendants there are social class divisions. There was a BBC programme about 3 shoplifting sisters, one was imprisoned in England, one was deported to Tasmania and one to another Australian convict settlement. The branch in Tasmania which was an exclusively convict settlement became judges, governors and barristers. The other two remained working class. (The other Australian settlement was mixed convicts and freemen) When they met up one of the Tasmanian family commented that most people believed Australia was classless, it simply wasn't true. An interesting result of social engineering perhaps?

M0nica Sat 01-Sep-18 19:24:45

Jalima I was only taking the words Hancock said as being that this was a taboo subject in workplaces, which is patently ridiculous. There is no argument that making people declare it is unacceptable.

I can remember having to declare my father's occupation on my university application form back in the early 1960s and, I think, on one or two forms when I started work.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 18:26:41

Jalima

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 17:52:22

Couldn't make it up
Obviously someone could POGS! grin

Unbelievable though it is.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 17:50:57

M0nica It is fair enough if someone wants to discuss their background but another matter entirely if they have to declare it.

POGS Sat 01-Sep-18 17:50:08

trisher

" Annie there is enough trouble recruiting teachers already if you start questioning their backgrounds there simply won't be any. "

Couldn't make it up. confused

Why is the BBC employee , those who work for or produce programmes for the BBC a special breed to want to know their Social Class. ? Why is it being trotted out under the label of ' transparency'? Why not their political allegiance, sexual orientation , race etc. Nobody has answered!

Social Class is not necessarily an indicator of an individuals worth or how they conduct themselves . It sadly can be used by those who hold a partisan / slanted view of an individuals Social Class to hold an outdated Class Warfare attitude however.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 17:48:54

It's a badge of honour for Australians to have convict ancestors - I wonder if they will have to declare that if they want to work for the BBC?

Doesn't this silly suggestion of Corbyn contravene the Data Protection Act?
Or does he intend to repeal that?

www.gov.uk/data-protection

lemongrove Sat 01-Sep-18 16:45:07

not discussing parents backgrounds is but a distant memory now.In fact, it's often seen as a badge of honour if your parents came from humble beginnings.In fact, the whole concept of the British being 'anal' about keeping everything in has gone out of fashion, and all seem to be emotional and talkative about any subject at all.

M0nica Sat 01-Sep-18 11:16:42

Eloethan I have just re read your post and your quote from Matt Hancock The British don’t like to discuss things like their parents’ background, particularly at work The man is talking through his hat.

Admittedly talking about your background doesn't often occur in a work situation, but I have never known people to be unwilling to mention it where it is relevant, nor embarrassed by telling people, whether their antecedents lay in the landed classes or in extreme poverty.

Look at the interest in family history and tv programs like 'Who do you think you are' and the way posters on GN will happily tell you what their parents and grandparents did.

In case you are curious one of my grandfathers started life as a docker, the other, the other, the illegitimate son of a catholic in Northern Ireland, now there's a collection of disadvantages, started life as a farm labourer or factory worker and they both progressed upwards from there. My father was an army officer and DH's husband worked on the assembly line of a car factory.

M0nica Fri 31-Aug-18 22:03:53

Eloethan, Yes, everyone is allocated into a socio-economic group based on all the factors you mention, but it is getting a lot less easy to do this and these socio-economic groupings, drawn up quite some time ago, are creaking at the seams, as salaries for many professional groups go down in relation to the salaries being earned by others occupationally placed in lower groups and people move more and more between different occupations that mean they keep changing social group as well. My DD recently changed her social grouping in a weekend by changing job and occupation. Her salary remained unchanged.

Anyway, we are not discussing socio-economic groups in this thread we are talking 'class' and I am trying to get a definition about what this actually means, if anything, in the 21st century. In the past 'working class' = blue collar manual work, rented housing, usually council provided, middle class= white shirt, suit and tie, mortgage/owner occupier. But these simple divisions have long gone.

The phrase 'middle class' these days seems to be a word only used pejoratively in a very narrow sense for those privately educated, graduated from Oxbridge with well off parents in quite a narrow group of extremely well paid professions and I doubt more than 10,000 people or so fall into that category, which leaves the rest of the population where?

This question of exactly how you define class in the very occupationally fluid 21st century is the question the OP posed and no one yet has given a satisfactory answer. I can see only one way of overcoming all these problems and that is to band people by income only.

Eloethan Fri 31-Aug-18 18:36:56

Monica My understanding is that successive governments' socio-economic classifications contain statistical information relating to education, employment and income.

Everyone has had some sort of education, employment (or lack of it), and an income. Why are you saying these factors only apply to a small number of people?

In March 2016 this government announced new measures to improve social mobility in the workplace. This surely implies that the lack of social mobility in the UK is a cause for concern. The report included comments from Matt Hancock, who I believe formerly held the post of Business and Education Minister, who said:

"Social justice is at the heart of everything this one nation government is trying to achieve. Our goal is simple: to make sure everyone has the opportunity to succeed and make the most of their talents, whatever the circumstances of their birth.

"It’s time to tackle the last workplace taboo – social mobility. The British don’t like to discuss things like their parents’ background, particularly at work. But you can’t manage what you can’t measure."

This statement seems to encompass not just the BBC but workplaces in general.

trisher Fri 31-Aug-18 18:19:36

M0nica I have already posted about education and what might constitute an equal education system that would compensate for social inequalities.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 18:16:09

Cleaners have my utmost respect - especially in the hot weather we've been having this summer.

DD served behind a bar when she was at university - and has done since. It certainly taught her people skills and it could have led to an interesting and lucrative career but she turned it down.
sad I might have got free wine

M0nica Fri 31-Aug-18 18:08:28

I would probably have been cleaning somewhere or serving behind a bar as my grandmother's did. Why?

There has always been social mobility. Two of my grandparents were born in poverty and had the disadvantages of being Irish and catholic as well. They were both separately socially mobile. One became an army officer, the other continued the social rise her DH started before his premature death.

I went to a northern predominantly technical university in the early 1960s and I would say that the majority of the male students there were from working class backgrounds, including DH, whose father worked on the assembly line in a car factory. His best friend whose father worked as a cleaner went into the navy as an officer.

I am not arguing against more social mobility, but too many people like to underestimate how much social mobility there was in the past. There always was and always will be social mobility, in both directions, and social barriers should never be used to exclude people from anything.

But demanding social tests for jobs is just a cop-out. If we had an education system that aimed at ensuring every child got a good education. This would mean offering much more social support for children in areas and schools of high disadvantage and incentives to ensure that really good well qualified teachers wanted to teach in them and help the children so that the educational levels that children achieved at 16 were roughly equal in all schools, all this fiddling around with social status of parents when applying for jobs would not be necessary.

It is just a cop-out for those too lazy and too mean to look for other than simple answers to complex problems

Anniebach Fri 31-Aug-18 17:14:10

Realy trisher? teachers are exempt from questions of their social class ? Oh well

trisher Fri 31-Aug-18 16:39:55

Annie there is enough trouble recruiting teachers already if you start questioning their backgrounds there simply won't be any. The generation who went into teaching because it was the easiest way for the working class (especially girls) to get into higher ed are now retiring. Current figures show people aren't staying in the profession for many years now. It's no longer a job for life.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 31-Aug-18 14:12:51

No organisation should be forced / coerced to employ an individual so as to make up a diverse workforce.

People should be judged on their ability to the job, that and only that.

What good could possibly come out of singling out the BBC employment history.

I feel all parties should look at where their MP's and advisors come from, sorry if I am duplicating what some others have said on here, but I have only glanced through the thread.