Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will Trump be impeached?

(17 Posts)
mostlyharmless Thu 23-Aug-18 09:28:41

Is this the end for Trump or will he shake it off? The Campaign finance violations include using election campaign funds to pay off two of Trump’s former mistresses.

Donald Trump’s longtime personal lawyer Michael Cohen pleaded guilty to a raft of campaign finance violations shortly after a guilty verdict arrived in the case of Paul Manafort, his former campaign chairman, for bank and tax fraud.
www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/22/whats-happened-with-michael-cohen-and-paul-manafort?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Bridgeit Thu 23-Aug-18 09:53:17

No doubt he will waffle his way out of it, I suspect there are too many within the establishment who want to /need to keep him there.

MaizieD Thu 23-Aug-18 10:05:24

Possibly, but there's no guarantee that he would lose the presidency if he were. Clinton was impeached.. saw out his term of office...

DoraMarr Thu 23-Aug-18 10:06:01

Impeachment in the US is a two- step process. First the House of Representatives must vote for an indictment by a simple majority, then the accused is tried in the Senate and must be convicted by “two thirds of the members present.” Since both houses have a Republican majority at the moment this seems unlikely. I think a more realistic scenario would be that, like Nixon, Trump will be “advised” to resign. Of course, then we would have Pence as leader of the free world.......

DoraMarr Thu 23-Aug-18 10:07:17

Clinton was acquitted by the Senate.

trisher Thu 23-Aug-18 10:12:46

How to be President-pay someone to lie/cheat/steal/bribe do whatever is necessary. They may be found out. They may go to prison. But YOU will still be President!

Anniebach Thu 23-Aug-18 10:25:15

His supporters are still with him

trisher Thu 23-Aug-18 10:26:40

Of course that's why he won't be impeached.

Telly Thu 23-Aug-18 10:27:40

I don't think so. There is no shaking his core supporters and if the Democrats go in too hard they may well see him in for another term in 2020. It was reported on the news that Trump said he could shoot someone and not lose votes. Nuff said.

M0nica Thu 23-Aug-18 13:55:07

I hope so, but I doubt it.

MiniMoon Thu 23-Aug-18 15:06:36

He seems to think that the US stock market will crash if he is impeached! It will all depend upon how the mid-term elections in November turn out. If the Democrats win control of the senate then impeachment may be on the cards.

BlueBelle Thu 23-Aug-18 15:08:41

He’s as slippery as an blooming ice rink he ll survive, nasty abusive dangerous man

OldMeg Thu 23-Aug-18 15:12:29

Oh I do hope so!

eazybee Thu 23-Aug-18 18:02:53

No he won't, because unfortunately many people admire his behaviour.
It's called 'getting away with it.'

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Aug-18 18:17:39

I can see that some men might admire that. What about women voters? Do they admire him paying hush money to ex mistresses?

OldMeg Thu 23-Aug-18 18:36:49

It’s not i to ‘some people’

OldMeg Thu 23-Aug-18 18:38:09

In article II, section 4 of the U.S. Constitution, the power to impeach is given to the House of Representatives. The Senate serves as the court for impeachment trials. The House of Representatives and Senate make up the legislative branch of the U.S. Government.

Not ‘some people’