Gransnet forums

News & politics

Caesarean sections - choice or not?

(54 Posts)
Rosina Thu 23-Aug-18 22:19:40

I have witnessed a very heated argument today about the latest news concerning Caesareans. Evidently there is a general feeling that women should be given the choice to have one if they wish, regardless of medical need. Both my Dils had to have Caesareans due to complications and health problems, but I would have thought that natural birth must so obviously be best for baby and mother, and that to put yourself and the child through a general anaesthetic or spinal numbing, and have surgery that is not necessary, is really the worst possible choice. surely it should be undertaken only when it is medically necessary, and not be a matter of personal choice. Also, how much strain would a huge increase in caesareans put on the NHS with doctors, theatre staff etc. This seems a worrying trend to encourage pregnant women to feel that they can make a choice without medical support for that choice.

downtoearth Fri 31-Aug-18 09:03:00

blushsorry didnt realuse how long that was and no paragraphs

downtoearth Fri 31-Aug-18 09:01:25

My first pregnancy caused concerns that my pelvis was too small to deliver,measurements and XRays prived this to be so.A change of consultant due to retirement at around 36 weeks,notes where not read properly,at 39 weeks an antenatal examination showed I was 1cm dilated,I obviously was sent home,not really understanding what would happen and waiting as told till pains where few minutes apart,this happened two days later,I went to hospital left in a side room in agony while hand over report was completed all alone and when nurse came in and told me to stop making a fuss,complained because I needed help to go the toilet,on examination she found I was 10cm waters hadnt broken and head not engaged,no one had read I was a recommended Trial labour of 6hours,result my daughter was born not breathing ,had to be rushed to special care,she had been severely starved of oxygen suffered extensive brain damage and died aged 7 weeks,it would have been her 40th birthday in two weeks,My second and third child where elective c sections due to this, second was breech and 3rd I had pre eclampsia,during that time under same consultant 3 women who lived a few houses away from me all suffered death of our babies under this consultant.During my antenatal 2nd and 3rd time more care was taken.

hugem

NotSpaghetti Fri 31-Aug-18 08:06:20

I thought so Bathsheba - and went on to the older midwife’s website where there was a shocking report on the lack of dignity in childbirth in some countries. Thank goodness there are people like her championing a kinder way.
This is her blog regarding childbirth in India:
www.sheenabyrom.com/blog/the-contours-of-childbirth-in-india
for example.

leemw711 Thu 30-Aug-18 02:20:26

Caesarean deliveries can be essential. My daughter in law had one because her baby daughter, lying in a breach presentation, could not safely be delivered vaginally. Baby is now a bright an happy 5 year old schoolgirl and my pride and joy, though sadly my husband, who adored his little granddaughter, died suddenly & unexpectedly just a few days ago. Granddaughter sings “Twinkle, twinkle little star” to him at bedtime each night as we have told her that he is now the brightest star in the heavens! Sadly missed; a wonderful husband!

Gaggi3 Wed 29-Aug-18 21:46:48

DD2 had to have a C-section at 38 weeks to deliver her twins, as she was showing early signs of pre-eclampsia. She was disappointed but realised it was necessary to ensure her safety and that of her babies.

Bathsheba Tue 28-Aug-18 09:45:34

An interesting and insightful programme NotSpaghetti. Thanks for sharing the link.

Fennel Mon 27-Aug-18 19:36:13

Thankfully I was able to have all my 3 vaginally. The first was a long struggle, the others ok.
I have stretchy skin.
I would have hated to have a birth via an 'operation', but see that sometimes it's best for the baby.

MissAdventure Mon 27-Aug-18 16:06:24

I had a Caesarian, and I found it incredibly painful and traumatic.
I decided there and then that I wouldn't be doing it again!

Deedaa Mon 27-Aug-18 15:23:02

The only people I've known who had planned c sections for health reasons seemed to take quite a while to get over them and needed help looking after the baby for some days. After a normal birth you seem to get back into your usual routine very quickly. Just need a comfortable cushion if you've got stitches. I found the whole thing pretty terrifying, but I think I'd have been even more terrified of an operation.

pinkprincess Mon 27-Aug-18 01:10:46

Both of my two children were born by emergency ceasarian 48 and 46 years ago.
during the first birth the general anaesthetic used nearly killed us both.I am 4ft 10ins and was classed as a wait and see case.
HIS head never engaged and after the doctor broke my waters in labour my baby moved into the transverse position making me no longer a wait and see case, it was a very quick dash to theatre.
As I had been completely unprepared for the GA which was routine then, I had a respiratory arrest at the start of the operation and my son was brought out almost dead and had to be resusitatated.
As things happen against my efforts, I got pregnant again two years later.The consultant refused to give me an elective controlled section because he said the only reason for my first one was the transverse lie and things should be normal this time
Well things were not normal, my DS2 although in right position with unengaged head again got stuck in my pelvis during labour.Another dash to theatre with the prospect of the dreaded general anaesthetic.I prayed to God like I have never prayed before, went under the gas in fear and trembling and woke up in the ward to find I had another son.
when I eventually met him two days later he had a large red mark down the side of his face where the forceps used to ease him out of my narrow pelvis during the operation had scratched him.He was also born almost lifeless and had needed resuscitation.
The mark had faded after a week fortunately.He is now father of five and grandfather of two
I was determined not to be another ''wait and see case''so insisted on the tubal tie
Probably now I would have been a candidate for elective sections certainly the second time
Those emergency sections were life savers but my childbirth experiences have left me with a lifelong fear of general anaesthetics.Doubled by the fact I now have Emphysema.

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Aug-18 10:01:59

Thought I’d just share the link to a discussion on the changes in midwifery over our lifetime.
It’s part of a series on the BBC radio where 3 professionals talk about the profession.

The older midwife speaking is Sheena Byrom. She is a midwife of “my” era and was powerful enough to make me google her. She has her own website with a blog I’d highly recommend.

Here is the link to the BBC programme:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bf630t

Be warned, some of her words made me weep with recognition. sad

Eloethan Sat 25-Aug-18 21:35:40

I think it's the case that a human baby's head is bigger in relation to its body and in relation to the opening from which it has to exit, than any other mammal.

If a woman is prepared to have her baby naturally then that's fine but I do believe that if it is something that really frightens her then she should have the choice of a C section.

Speaking personally, I was nervous of natural childbirth but not terrified. However, having had a very distressing induced and prlonged labour, being sewn up badly by a junior doctor and suffering from what I now recognise was post-natal depression with my first child, I decided against having any more. Seven years later I nevertheless continued with an unplanned pregnancy and subsequent induced labour which, though unpleasant, did not have such profound after-effects. My pregnancy was a time of fear and trepidation. Had I been given the opportunity to have a C section, I would have jumped at it, and I believe women should be informed of the risks and left to decide for themselves.

As to the idea that women in other countries who have no, or limited, access to medical care and interventions sail through through their labours without a care, I believe that is not borne out by the facts. My understanding is that a far larger number of these women and children suffer permanent physical damage and sometimes die.

jaclovesdogs Sat 25-Aug-18 18:47:51

Sorry meant easy on them

jaclovesdogs Sat 25-Aug-18 18:47:15

I think if you’re going private you can have what you pay for but if using the NHS you cannot dictate what you want. Obviously if there are medical reasons then a caesarean is justified but I feel most are just following the celebrity fad of having a caesarean just to make things was on them and be fashionable.

Bagatelle Sat 25-Aug-18 17:09:37

Do they do it to schedule the births?

The next generation won't be able to give birth naturally and the one after that will be born with zips.

chrissyh Sat 25-Aug-18 14:58:05

I was reading an article about an actress, can't remember who it was, who was talking about giving birth recently and choosing a Caesarean which she was very proud to announce was under the NHS. Out of interest I decided to find out the difference in the cost and, according to official NHS figures in 2016 - latest I could find, vaginal deliveries cost the health service £1,985 each whereas Caesarean sections cost £3,781. As more women are opting for a Caesarean it is even more strain on an already hard-pressed NHS. Why should the NHS cover the extra cost of a non-medical Caesarean? Or maybe you think they should?

OldMeg Sat 25-Aug-18 14:56:47

There are benefits for the baby delivered vaginally too.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 25-Aug-18 14:34:34

Quizzqueen.There will be those who will opt for a C and there are surgeons who are carrying this out in private on those who have the money.I cannot see there being queues at the hospital gates as it will be the NHS who has the last word. You weathered your pain and soldiered on. How ever not all are as stalwart and I for one would have willingly waved the white flag and surrendered to the knife following my first experience of a 'grit your teeth and push'.

sharon103 Sat 25-Aug-18 14:28:34

C Section if fine if advised by the hospital or complications during birth but I believe other than that if all is well with mother and baby then a natural birth. No choice. I had all three of my babies V birth. First, a long labour with forceps, second a bit quicker and an episiotomy and third the quickest and easiest. Personally, even if there had been a choice I would have decided to have the experience of a natural birth. I'm glad I was so lucky although I said never again after each one of them. lol If all of my babies had been born by C section I would have been very sad that I hadn't gone through a natural labour, if you understand my meaning. But I do understand for some mums, a C section has to be.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 25-Aug-18 13:20:29

From my own experience of giving birth at the age of 22 I am on the side of being given a choice. My reason being for the sake/ heath of my unborn child as discomfort / pain giving a V birth can be controlled by medication.A long labour to deliver your child can in my opinion be harmful for the unborn as well as distressing for the mother. A V birth did not make me bond any more than if I had a C as some say no pain no gain.. I had a very long labour with my first child and sure I would not have been allowed to go on like that 21C and an a episiotomy was necessary and I can assure that I felt it. I was fortunate there were no complications from this and when the stitches were removed, apart from ' ouch' clearly not the dissolving kind I was ok. . My first was a fractious child and as an adult can be difficult ! Unlike her younger sister who was in a hurry to get into the world and a much shorter labour although another epi due to first ' epi' scarring My second baby was a contented child and throughout out her childhood totally the opposite to her sister.Would a C section due to my first long labour have made any difference other than prevent pain? I am of the belief it would have made a difference as to what harm is done to an unborn struggling and taking up to twenty hours to get into the world compared to the time it takes to carry out a C section. No new mother knows what lies ahead prior to when her labour commences and many will opt for a natural birth but if a woman wants a C why can she not be given that choice. It's not just one life but the life of the one to be born.

Hm999 Sat 25-Aug-18 13:16:48

If hospital say C section, then fine. But choosing to have one because you're scared must be a joke with NHS running out of staff, money and facilities. Why put baby through anaesthetic? And yourself through major surgery? (And yes, I had 2 bigger-than-average babies)

glammagran Sat 25-Aug-18 13:16:00

My younger daughter’s due date is today. Hers is a high risk pregnancy due to a kidney condition but she’s had no problems. She did have an ECV very late last week to turn the baby from breech which was successful. However it is now posterior. Two of my 3 were. In fact when I had her, I had a longer 2nd stage than 1st stage and managed to deliver her with supreme effort just as C section was being organised. Older daughter, 5’1” and size 8 had 9lb 9oz baby by C section having gone all the way to pushing stage to be told there was no way she could have given birth naturally.

maryhoffman37 Sat 25-Aug-18 13:09:27

My middle daughter has had two caesareans, the first a last-minute traumatic emergency under general anaesthetic, obviously without her husband there. There were signs in her blood tests that the same condition (placental abruption) might occur so she opted to have a second Caesar at 39 weeks. It was calm and peaceful, husband with her the whole time, daughter placed straight in her arms (both husband and I held her son before she did and she was VERY ill after his birth). It wasn't 100% "medically necessary" but such a good and different experience. I hope that's not the kind of choice that would be removed.

quizqueen Sat 25-Aug-18 12:59:50

I don't think 'mothers to be' should be able to choose to have a caesarean just because they want one, like it was some sort of designer birth. The operation should only be carried out if it's a medical necessity for the health of the mother and baby as it can be a serious and dangerous procedure, as well as costly to the NHS.

Child birth is painful and can be lengthy, what do mothers expect! I think a lot of modern women don't want to go through that and think a caesarean will be the easier option. I had a bad birth with my first child (baby twisted inside) and problems with the stitches afterwards but I still felt I could manage without artificial pain relief for the delivery. It wouldn't have occurred to me not to want to give birth naturally the second time as well.

My second was a breech birth ( bum first, as well, with legs up by the head) and I still gave birth vaginally. In fact, as it was a teaching hospital, the consultant asked if I minded if he bought all his students in as they didn't see that situation that often and he gave a lesson as he delivered. I didn't object at all, as how else would doctors learn, and that birth was a much better experience that the first.

Iam64 Sat 25-Aug-18 12:32:26

Well said maryeliza - what a pile of nonsense to suggest women give birth in the fields, strap their babies to their backs and go back to working in those fields. Death rates in 3rd world countries are higher than in countries with good health care for a reason.

One of my grandchildren wouldn't be here if their hadn't been a C Section. I delivered on of the other grandchildren at home, breach, whilst waiting for the ambulance that was snow bound.

Two of my grandchildren were born by planned C Section, easily breast fed and picked up by their mother. She was driving within 4 weeks - she was lucky in having a supportive partner and family around to help in the early days with the stuff like shopping, washing, casserole deliveries. My first was born in 1972, uncomplicated delivery but we had a midwife with us all the time, then 5 nights on a ward where we were 'trained' to bath and feed our babies and most importantly, train ourselves to nap in the afternoon. Young mothers now are home within a couple of hours and somehow expected to look fabulous etc etc. Give them all a break I say. They'll be mothers for the rest of their lives.