Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scallop Wars with the French why no comment by our useless PM

(59 Posts)
Nicenanny3 Wed 29-Aug-18 13:46:48

Don't count on Theresa May to stick up for our British fishermen, imagine if it was our fishermen ramming the French boats and throwing rocks at them it would be declared an international incident. But no we can't upset the French can we Mrs May we are too busy kowtowing to them.

nigglynellie Sat 01-Sep-18 18:58:06

Jalima, Particularly where the UK is concerned!!! There is as they say, 'history'!!!

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 18:02:26

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this situation, I agree Maggiemaybe. They are a disgrace - and I am appalled that they would do this to fellow fishermen, whatever the nationality.

But the French are a bolshie lot in general.
(I can say this as I have French ancestry!)

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Sep-18 17:48:43

Sea fishing is still one of the most dangerous occupations out there. The sea isn’t a playground. I can’t understand anyone respecting or supporting any fishermen who hurl rocks and flares, ram and damage ships and endanger the lives of other fishermen, whatever grievances they think they have. They’re a disgrace.

suzied Sat 01-Sep-18 15:54:16

I don't blame the UK fisherfolk, they are following EU rules, I blame the EU rules for not respecting the wishes of the French to conserve fish stocks. I don't blame the French for wishing to do that or feeling aggrieved that the Brits are fishing when they are not allowed. I don't think they are right to hurl rocks or insults either. How is that ridiculous? No one has said they would be happy if the tables were turned( I wouldn't be).

nigglynellie Sat 01-Sep-18 15:53:00

While being unhappy with those arrangements ctipps, I doubt very much that our fishermen would resort to rock throwing, flares and ramming their boats. If they did, they would be prosecuted in an appropriate manner. That's the difference!!

lemongrove Sat 01-Sep-18 15:24:46

unsure if some posters are such fervent Remain voters that they blame Uk fishermen [when even the French Government doesn't!] or if this UK bashing at every opportunity is a very left wing thing, or possibly a bit of both grin whatever the reasons, it makes these posters look ridiculous.

crystaltipps Sat 01-Sep-18 15:17:39

I am British but I do not support overfishing and destroying marine life, and think the French are right here and the EU are wrong to allow it. Never mind they won’t be allowed to do it come Brexit, plus the savage cuts this government has made to our navy means we couldn’t do anything about it anyway. It’s funny how those supporting the Brits are supporting the EU rules for once.
But no one has said they would be perfectly happy if the French were fishing 12 miles off Brixham when our fisherfolk weren’t allowed to in order to conserve fish stocks.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 15:10:20

Video footage on French state television and on social media showed about 35 small French fishing boats menacing five larger British vessels early Tuesday morning in a stretch of international waters that separates Britain from the rest of Europe, just off the northwest coast of France.
The French argue that British fishing vessels have an unfair advantage. The French government does not allow fishing for scallops to begin until October, in order to preserve the stock.

international waters - not French waters.

I can understand why the French are hopping mad but the British are not doing anything illegal.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Sep-18 15:06:16

40 against 5?

Outnumbered! Where's the RN when you need it?

Nicenanny3 Sat 01-Sep-18 12:51:35

I can only come to the conclusion posters on here who are not supporting our British fishermen are not British. Perhaps EU citizens residing over here peeved by Brexit, or EU loving lefties who love everyone except their own countrymen.

crystaltipps Sat 01-Sep-18 09:04:23

I still bet if the tables were turned the same people who are defending the Brits on here would be hopping mad about the French/ Spanish etc pinching “our”fish.

MaizieD Fri 31-Aug-18 23:16:21

are they huge-er than the French boats? They didn't look it in the pics.

Perhaps you need to get your eyes tested, lemon

From the BBC website report; I'm sure they wouldn't make it up...

About 40 French boats tried to stop five larger British boats from fishing 12 nautical miles (22km) off the Normandy coast, in the Bay of Seine.

MaizieD Fri 31-Aug-18 23:02:39

With a bit of help from the Spanish fishing barons?

To whom we probably sold a lot of our quota. I posted a link about it ages ago on another thread...

Notably some of the scallop fishing companies are not British owned. The boats that were fined twice for taking undersized scallops (link posted yesterday) were owned by a Canadian company.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 20:44:12

Icelandic Cod Wars anyone?

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 19:27:52

funny how some people always prefer any other country over their own [the UK] isn't it? Even when the other country [French fishermen] are in the wrong.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 17:56:29

We’ve over fished our waters too.
With a bit of help from the Spanish fishing barons?

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Aug-18 15:28:35

Well, under current EU regulations our quota for the cod in the English Channel is 9%.....

crystaltipps Fri 31-Aug-18 15:16:29

We’ve over fished our waters too.

Maggiemaybe Fri 31-Aug-18 15:14:43

You’re a bit out of date, crystaltipps. Our waters are too warm for cod now. We import 90% of the cod we eat from Norway and Iceland.

Jalima1108 Fri 31-Aug-18 12:57:49

I bet if it were factory French boats catching cod in U.K. waters,
But the whole point is that the British boats were not in French waters.

crystaltipps Fri 31-Aug-18 11:10:20

I bet if it were factory French boats catching cod in U.K. waters, threatening stocks and flogging it back to us there would be huge outcry by kippers( sic) about unfair EU rules to our poor fishermen. Just read about one of these U.K. boats registered in Shoreham - the skipper of said boat has been fined several times for illegal fishing practices, breaching health and safety rules and for being 3xs over the alcohol limit when skippering his vessel.

lemongrove Fri 31-Aug-18 10:16:39

exported or eaten in the UK makes not one scrap of difference to this issue.

travelsafar Fri 31-Aug-18 07:53:30

POGS I know us women can do many things at the same time but i agree with you, TM is in Africa working on trade deals she cant be expected to deal with the scallop issue at the same time surely!!!!.

crystaltipps Fri 31-Aug-18 07:40:39

I sure all you GNs can cook scallops but the fact is that most of the scallops caught by the British boats will be exported.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Aug-18 23:46:09

My mother used to serve up (perfectly cooked) scallops back in the early 70s. Not so DH’s family, who fell about laughing when my future mother in law asked if I liked scallops and I said oh yes, I loved all seafood. Scallops down here in Yorkshire at that time were slices of battered potato deep-fried. blush