Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Last Days of Mrs May?

(582 Posts)
trisher Wed 12-Sep-18 11:42:36

So 50 MPs met to discuss getting rid of her, should we be counting the days? Or will she simply stay because there's no other suitable candidate and no one wants a poisoned chalice?

varian Tue 22-Jan-19 11:33:16

Isabel Hardman, writing in The Spectator points out that-

"Jeremy Corbyn may be reasonably easy for May to attack at the moment, but the MPs who want to be more involved are far trickier. As we have seen in the responses to her statement from backbenchers, she may have opened the door of Downing Street, but MPs aren’t really sure if she’s actually listening to them when they walk through.

Brexit Select Committee chair Hilary Benn told her that her door may have been open but her mind remains closed. It’s all very well pointing out that you are holding talks, but MPs will swiftly turn away from them if they turn out to be merely a talking shop, rather than the listening exercise that they want."

varian Sun 20-Jan-19 15:48:54

American broadcaster CNN reports -"Brexit 'plot' by lawmakers 'extremely concerning,' Downing Street says."

Downing Street has described as "deeply concerning" a reported plot by lawmakers to take control of Brexit negotiations from UK Prime Minister Theresa May.

"Any attempt to remove the government's power to meet the legal conditions of an orderly exit at this moment of historic significance is extremely concerning," a spokesperson for the Prime Minister said.

However on Sunday Benn, who chairs the Commons Brexit committee, denied reports that MPs were "plotters," telling BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show that politicians were merely "doing their job."

"MPs doing their job are not plotters, they are trying to sort out the mess the Prime Minister has created," Benn said.

edition.cnn.com/2019/01/20/uk/brexit-lawmakers-plot-downing-street-gbr-intl/index.html

varian Sat 19-Jan-19 18:16:00

Sir John Major calls for ‘act of statesmanship’ from Theresa May to ‘mediate’ Parliament and offer free vote to MPs on Brexit

inews.co.uk/news/brexit/john-major-calls-for-free-vote-for-mps-on-brexit-deadlock-theresa-may/

varian Fri 18-Jan-19 11:06:57

If they were reasonable people, the pro-Brexit faction would now be shocked into facing reality. But they are not. These are the same politicians who tricked voters out of Europe by promising them that leaving would be all gain and no pain. Britain would become proud, sovereign, powerful, more prosperous. It could slash immigration, enrich its health service, cut magnificent and profitable trade deals with the rest of the world, opt out of European Union laws and still trade with and travel freely in Europe.

It was always rubbish, marketed by people deliberately indifferent to facts. The European Union was never going to let us leave the club while retaining all the advantages of belonging, any more than a tennis club allows ex-members to use the facilities for free. It said so, patiently, repeatedly. The agonizing negotiations of the past 18 months proved that over and over.
Mrs. May finally managed some wriggling round the edges, reducing part of the huge and unavoidable economic penalties of Brexit by keeping Britain in the European Union Customs Union and parts of the single market. It is a valuable concession, and one the European Union has agreed to principally in order to not inflame sectarian tensions in Northern Ireland, which would otherwise have to rebuild a border with the Irish Republic. The price that must be paid for remaining in the market is that Britain agrees to faithfully track and follow its rules, while no longer having any voice in how they are made.

These restrictions have sent the hard-line Brexiteers into a cold fury, but they were inevitable. You can’t even join a tennis match if you insist on drawing your own courts and deciding your own scores. The Brexit fanatics blindly ignore that. They have learned nothing, acknowledged nothing.

Rather than accepting their shameful role in deceiving voters over what was possible, they are doubling down on denunciation. They accuse Mrs. May of betrayal, of trapping and binding the country, of breaking her word. It is sheer selfish manipulation, political destructiveness on a huge scale, because they cannot get what they want; indeed, they cannot agree among themselves on what they want. They want the prime minister removed, but while they may secure the votes to challenge her, they’re unlikely to get enough to unseat her.

www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/opinion/sunday/brexit-theresa-may-politics.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Lazigirl Fri 11-Jan-19 16:59:44

Don't bother paddyann, if prayer worked they'd legislate against it smile

paddyann Fri 11-Jan-19 16:49:42

"The last days of Mrs May" well if I was religious I'd pray for it and the last days of these viscious ,heartless,USELESS tories .I'm just sorry the alternative in Westminster isn't any better

Lazigirl Fri 11-Jan-19 16:06:11

I saw this last night Varian. She was a real star!

Anja Fri 11-Jan-19 14:16:23

Wish there was a like button Varian

varian Fri 11-Jan-19 12:24:10

This woman brutally destroyed Theresa May’s premiership in just 90 seconds

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/this-woman-brutally-destroyed-theresa-may-on-brexit-and-her-premiership-in-just-90-seconds-1-5847996

varian Thu 10-Jan-19 19:55:56

We should be grateful to MaizieD for pointing out that the referendum was only advisory in law.

I am not willing to say "I respect the result of the referendum and therefore we must leave the EU no matter how much damage it does to our country, our children and our grandchildren".

I do not respect the result of the advisory referendum which was ill-concieved, fraudulent and won by lies.

I can only hope that our elected representatives will vote to revoke Article 50, reject this brexit nonsense, protect us from further harm and abjectly apologise to our fellow EU members for the huge waste of time and money this fraudulent advisory referendum has caused

humptydumpty Thu 10-Jan-19 10:34:45

That's a question I've been asking myself for a while, Maizie; it seems Leave (or Remain, for that matter) could have done whatever they like and the result would still stand...

MaizieD Thu 10-Jan-19 10:28:21

honouring the result of the referendum

I notice how very silent Leavers are on the illegal practices of the Leave campaigns which bring the whole anti-democratic referendum result into question.

How can something so demonstrably dishonourable be 'honoured'?

MaizieD Thu 10-Jan-19 10:25:15

Aren't they there as EU legislation taken into our law, GG?
In which case they could well be earmarked for removal as part of the bonfire of petty regulations that Leavers were promised.

Anniebach Thu 10-Jan-19 10:24:21

‘May bring about a majority’. and may not

GrannyGravy13 Thu 10-Jan-19 10:22:04

I am under the impression that all the above are already on the UK statute books.

Grandad1943 Thu 10-Jan-19 10:01:25

Anniebach Quote[ A so far gutless Corbyn is to make a big speech today! He sees a General Election coming closer] End Quote.

Anniebach, as a Labour Party member you should know that the party conference attended by 13000 members laid out the national movement policy on Brexit and that cannot be changed without a recall conference. Jeremy Corbyn has followed that policy to the letter in all he has stated, and that is how it should be.

In the above, there are a number of "red lines" in the Labour national policy that could be adopted within Mays deal that then may bring about a majority in the House of Commons to see the agreement through.

However, the agreement would have to include legal guarantees on, employee rights, Industrial Health & Safety, welfare benefits and much more as those are all part of Labours Brexit policy.

It would be a "large pill" for the Conservative MPs to swallow but could make a way through this parliamentary deadlock I feel.

In the office, so will not be able to add to this until much later this evening.

Davidhs Thu 10-Jan-19 08:58:17

Turkeys do not vote for Christmas, there is no way the Tories will call an election they will stay for the full term.
Once Brexit is resolved one way or the other, TM will probably resign and be replaced by a leader to suit the outcome of Brexit.

Urmstongran Thu 10-Jan-19 08:39:58

‘When’ TM loses the vote on her Withdrawal Bill next Tuesday night, the clock is ticking. No deal will kick in on 29 March and the Tory party are then considering a GE on 8 April. We will be out of the EU & the country can decide then (after honouring the result of the referendum which TM is absolutely determined to do) which party will take us forward.

Anja Thu 10-Jan-19 08:28:34

Why does Corbyn sense an election coming?

Because this useless bunch have made a right cock up of Brexit (and universal credit, and the National Dect, and the NHS, and Education and, and, and).

Or does anyone honestly believe all this chaos is due to Labour??? ??

Anniebach Thu 10-Jan-19 08:20:35

A so far gutless Corbyn is to make a big speech today! He sees a General Election coming closer

Davidhs Thu 10-Jan-19 08:14:13

Bercow was his usual controversial self, it is of course unreasonable for TM or anyone else to come up with a negotiated plan B in 3 days, but there are 2 alternatives that MPs are familiar with they might like to consider
1) no deal exit
2) cancel Brexit

Both of which I am sure they will vote against. To make progress they have to vote FOR something. Maybe a so far gutless Corbyn will propose a second vote which he has a fair chance of winning.

The EU are not going to move on the NI backstop so there is no point going back to them.

Grandad1943 Wed 09-Jan-19 21:15:14

varian, regarding your post @ 19:21 today (9/1/19), I felt John Bercow did an excellent job in standing up to the no more than forty rabid Tory Brexiteirs that have been holding this government to ransom and thereby the whole parliament for the last two years.

It was good to see him take a step to have the whole of parliament now have far more control over the most significant crisis this country has faced since the second world war. In doing that he undoubtedly placed his own position as speaker to the House of Commons in jeopardy, not to mention the physical threats that may well come from the UKIP led thugs outside the house.

Country before party and self-interest was a very welcome scenario to witness.

lemongrove Wed 09-Jan-19 20:45:36

Bercow has been a joke for a long time, the sooner he goes the better.

lemongrove Wed 09-Jan-19 20:44:47

Why Lucky? Would you rather hear Corbyn’s spluttery angry voice? At least T May always manages to stay calm.
There are plenty worse voices to hear, including Sturgeon,
Abbott, Boris, etc. grin
I think most of us were glad to have a break from hearing endless pundits and journos squawking about Brexit though.

Lily65 Wed 09-Jan-19 20:13:59

Bercow looks like a piss head.