Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aldi expansion

(337 Posts)
Teetime Mon 01-Oct-18 13:06:44

Aldi have announced a large expansion and are about to employ a further 1000 members of staff. They aren't worried about Brexit then.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:57:40

We own and run a building supply company (power tools, fasteners, protective clothing/equipment and 1000 of other building requirements).

We sell products from all over the world including the EU, and I can honestly say that none of our EU suppliers are worried that they will not be able to import to U.K.

Something's could possible be cheaper to the UK as at present the EU puts a tariff on imports from outside the trading block which we would no longer be subject to.

I shall continue to be a glass half full person rather than a glass half empty.

Smileless2012 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:31:31

We discovered Aldi when we moved nearly 2 years. We were stunned at the speed at the check out, two of us barely able to keep up and were even more stunned when we saw the final total.

Saving at least £120 a month is great and what I can't get there or don't like, I get at Tesco.

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:21:53

So are you saying that the management of Aldi are living in cloud cuckooland then jura?

Perhaps they need some words of wisdom from those who know better.

jura2 Sat 13-Oct-18 15:11:31

Well, lets hope they get the builders and craftsmen they need to build, and the supplies -

a gamble, for sure, in cloud cookooland.

lemongrove Sat 13-Oct-18 15:03:53

Of course Brexit hasn’t happened yet, but the stores for our village applied for planning application last year which was a year after the referendum.
Houses and stores are going up everywhere in the UK, which implies confidence in our future.

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 14:52:31

MawBroon, how many of those buildings will Britain need to have to replace all the food that comes from Europe.
If there is going to be difficulty importing food from Europe then presumably there could be the same difficulties trying to export food to Europe.
Would it therefore be logical for that food which we currently export to stay in this country?

jura2 Sat 13-Oct-18 14:50:39

You do realise Lemongrove, that Brexit has not happened yet? The difficulties of import/export will become apparent soon AFTER - especially if no deal is agreed and we fall onto WTO rules. Why do you find facts so hard to grasp?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Oct-18 14:10:41

Spanish train manufacturer TALGO, has short listed 6 sights for its new super factory - all six are in the UK!!!

So if others have faith in the UK post Brexit , is it about time gransnetters did?

lemongrove Sat 13-Oct-18 13:51:04

Exactly POGS

Food retail is one area that is really expanding in the UK, retail in general (High St) is suffering, but not because of Brexit, because of the Internet shopping.

Two supermarkets are being built in my village ( to my joy!)
And a nearby town that previously only had a Budgen and a Tesco now has 3 new supermarkets ( including an Aldi.)

Why are some posters talking of the War and feeding ourselves!
We will always import loads of food, and yes, from all over the world.

POGS Sat 13-Oct-18 12:32:13

A general point not attacking anyone and not trying to evade the seriousness of where we could ' possibly ' be heading over Brexit.

Are we not in danger of making the European Union countries out to be our only source of providing our countries food ?

We are talking as though the rest of the world is different to us and they are ALL self sufficient, do not import food products and are being benevolent in providing the UK with food.

There is a ' possibility' both sides of the EU Brexit negotiations will feel the pinch on exporting, importing, customer losses, trading in general .

It's not as though the 28 countries presently in the EU do not import/export outside of the 28 countries and those markets are adjusted.

MaizieD Sat 13-Oct-18 12:06:20

All the signs seem to be good for food retail here.

Can you give us some evidence for this statement, lemon? What good 'signs' are there?

Bearing in mind, of course that the UK imports some 40% of its food. It cannot feed its population. It couldn't feed its population in WW2 despite attempts to turn every inch of productive land over to food production. We only got through with strict rationing and food imported at huge human cost in RN sailors and merchant seamen.

We have a much larger population now and, despite projects like Thanet Earth (which poses some problems in itself) we still will not be able to feed ourselves.

POGS Sat 13-Oct-18 11:41:04

Sorry to go off piste about Lidl and Aldi.

Grandad / jura

It has obviously been the case and spoken of the financial institutions will have to have some base in a country inside the European Union if ' passporting rights' are not agreed to between the UK and EU countries. Jura I don't know what your other ' OUR ' country implications are as Switzerland holds so many variances/bi lateral deals with the EU ( even though it cannot make decisions after holding peoples referendums without the EU saying it can do as the people instructed).

I take heart in your Grandad your link to Bloomberg when it states -

' The move will create only about 10 new jobs in Amsterdam but it will prepare Bloomberg for an eventual hard Brexit, Bloomberg’s Ben Macdonald told the paper.'

Again this is a preparedness for a No Deal scenario or 'passporting rights' not being reciprocal but I have also read that it would be difficult for even Paris /Berlin to operate /function also on various financial matters such as Insurance.

Who knows where it will all end up but at the moment neither side will possibly win and that serves nobody.

jura2 Sat 13-Oct-18 09:41:35

It is all conjecture - the OP said that expansion was because Aldi is not worried about Brexit. I replied re what their reasoning may be about. Your post at 21.52.04 makes valid comments Maw. No-one can know for sure how they came to the decision to expand - not even our Governement- since our Governement, even at this amazingly late stage, has not got a clue itself and is totally divided. And of course- even if they can agree- we all know that the EU will not accept cherry-picking - because it would destroy them. Especially with negotiations with Switzerland taking place at the same time.

So- all conjecture.

As for Financial firms in the City- of course they won't publish it and links can't be posted. But they are planning their exit for sure, and Paris and Frankfurt are there to welcome them with open arms.

Grandad1943 Sat 13-Oct-18 09:01:48

Should be amount above not about. Voice recognition not doing to well this morning, must reboot the phone. blush

Grandad1943 Sat 13-Oct-18 08:57:31

My company could take over Lemon. With all these distribution companies reviewing their warehouse operations in the light of a no deal Brexit, we are picking up a considerable about of enquiries in regard to the introduction of new safety regimes for those operations.

Problem is we are unable to find the personnel with the qualifications required for the work we have now, so, how we would be able to take on all that work if it definitely comes about I am not sure.

Still, it's an ill wind that blows no one any good as they say.

lemongrove Sat 13-Oct-18 08:35:12

Naturally all businesses have to think about future plans but
All the signs seem to be good for food retail here.
The City ( financial) seems to be rooted here too.

lemongrove Sat 13-Oct-18 08:32:15

Ah, the evil Tesco .....who will take over the planet first, them
Or Starbucks or China? grin

Grandad1943 Sat 13-Oct-18 08:25:39

We like their super six fruit and veg deals each week. However, there is not a store close to us, so we do not shop there that often.

Its Tesco for us in the main. grin

MawBroon Sat 13-Oct-18 08:18:55

Thank you for the link Grandad.
Now, back to Aldi - what is your take on that?

Grandad1943 Sat 13-Oct-18 08:08:55

Obviously, the above move is a preliminary to a full movement should there be a no deal Brexit or any leave circumstances that does not suit their trading pattern.

Many other finance companies have set up similar offices in Europe I believe.

Let's face it, they are not definitely going at this point, but if there is not a Brexit that is in line with their operations, they are getting prepared and will very soon be gone.

Grandad1943 Sat 13-Oct-18 07:24:27

Mawbroon, here is a link to Bloombergs move to Europe:-

www.dutchnews.nl/news/2018/05/bloomberg-moves-eu-trading-units-to-amsterdam-ahead-of-brexit/

MawBroon Sat 13-Oct-18 04:04:22

Business before Buildings it would seem as that is the core of any commercial organisations trading

So you throw away over £1 billion?. That’s hardly business.

MawBroon Sat 13-Oct-18 04:02:36

I believe that Bloombergs chief executive has already started that if trading becomes more difficult following Brexit they will relocate to Europe.

Do you have evidence, a quote perhaps?

Grandad1943 Fri 12-Oct-18 23:32:28

I believe that Bloombergs chief executive has already started that if trading becomes more difficult following Brexit they will relocate to Europe.

Business before Buildings it would seem as that is the core of any commercial organisations trading.

Grandad1943 Fri 12-Oct-18 23:28:04

MawBroon, how many of those buildings will Britain need to have to replace all the food that comes from Europe.

Also with so many well paid jobs being lost in other industries, many would not have the money to buy the expensive food those sites will produce.