Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cern scientist suspended

(8 Posts)
Elegran Tue 02-Oct-18 09:19:37

Cern scientist Alessandro Strumia suspended after comments
What a bigoted plonker! Suspended by the short and curlies, I hope.

Marydoll Tue 02-Oct-18 09:54:54

Totally agree, Elegran

MiniMoon Tue 02-Oct-18 09:55:24

I heard about this last night. Surely a Physicist is appointed on merit, regardless of their gender.
I think the times have left this bloke behind.

Anniebach Tue 02-Oct-18 10:09:33

A chip on his shoulder ?

jura2 Tue 02-Oct-18 10:13:48

Good for CERN to act immediately.

Our daughter was very good at maths, chemistry and physics, and wanted to be a vet. Whenever she asked questions at High School, the (old school) teacher ignored her- when we discussed this with him at parents' evening he said 'well, physics is not really for girls, is it'!

She then did A' Level physics and was the only girl in the class. She had no difficulty with the subject- but gave up at the end of first year as 'just can't stand being with all those nerds anymore' (yes, 17 year old language). Sad.

Baggs Tue 02-Oct-18 13:13:44

The way he expressed it was stupid and plonkish. However, studies in more equal societies (e.g. Switzerland, Scandinavia, etc) do show that the more equality of opportunity men and women have, the more their choices diverge. Accepting this counter intuitive fact is not saying that women are less intelligent or in any way inferior to men, or vice versa.

Baggs Tue 02-Oct-18 13:21:05

This is quite a good article on the subject published this year in The Atlantic.

jura2 Tue 02-Oct-18 15:41:51

'the more equality of opportunity men and women have, the more their choices diverge.'

both ways- and that is good surely?