Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gay cake

(21 Posts)
tessagee Fri 12-Oct-18 15:21:59

Final word? What a very expensive cake that's turned out to be.

Eglantine21 Fri 12-Oct-18 08:25:09

Yes, I was thinking about it when I woke up this morning.

They did not discriminate against the person. They would have refused the commission no matter who had asked for it.

So the Supreme Court decision was right.

Just as people can refuse to do business with the bakers!

varian Fri 12-Oct-18 07:28:01

This was not about a wedding cake for a gay couple. Same sex marriage is illegal in NI. It was about the bakers refusing to make a cake with a slogan supporting gay marriage, which they declined to do as they do not support a change in the law.

I disagree with the bakers but I think the Supreme Court was right. They did not refuse to serve the customer because he was gay. They would have supplied a cake without the slogan. They may not have known whether he was gay. They would not have supplied a cake with that slogan for anyone.

M0nica Thu 11-Oct-18 21:19:25

How was the baker to know the man ordering the cake was gay? Many, if not most heterosexuals, support/supported the campaign for gay marriage.

Jalima1108 Wed 10-Oct-18 23:19:53

The man who ordered the cake still seemed to think it was all about him.
It was not.

NfkDumpling Wed 10-Oct-18 22:22:29

Peter Tatchell, that’s him! I just wrote on the other thread that I’d heard him speaking on Radio 4 at lunchtime - couldn’t remember his name. And very eloquent he was too. He summed it up beautifully.

M0nica Wed 10-Oct-18 22:03:31

I too was very impressed by Peter Tatchell's fair and reasoned support for the High Court decision.

sodapop Wed 10-Oct-18 21:07:12

I agree with your comments Jalima

lemongrove Wed 10-Oct-18 20:03:36

Yup, the right decision.
Well said Maw.....no baker should have to accept any message at all.They would have made a cake without that message, so it’s not punishing somebody for their sexuality.

NanKate Wed 10-Oct-18 19:58:21

I definitely think it was the right decision by the Supreme Court.

Peter Tatchell went up in my estimation, he was very fair in his analysis.

Jalima1108 Wed 10-Oct-18 19:43:40

Although I do not agree with the bakers' views, I believe that they have the right to express them and to refuse anything which they may feel compromised those beliefs.
They were not imposing their views on others - merely refusing to accept a commission.

The Supreme Court judgement was right imo.

varian Wed 10-Oct-18 19:24:12

I was very pleased to see Peter Tatchell, one of the foremost gay rights campaigners, saying on Channel 4 news that he agrees with the Supreme Court decision.

MawBroon Wed 10-Oct-18 19:22:47

I have just noticed there is another thread on this, so I am copying and pasting my post on that in case of one disappearing!

It was the principle of the message they were expected to pipe on the cake, as I understand it, not the sexuality of the customers.
Imagine if a Jewish bakery were oblige to pipe an anti-Semitic message
Or a Muslim baker, something offensive to Islam?
Or you or I obliged to pipe some racist or anti- immigrant message
I think the verdict was the right one but no doubt there will be all sorts of protests for the wrong reasons
A customer is always perfectly entitled to go elsewhere.

Scribbles Wed 10-Oct-18 19:07:48

As I understand it, the bakers originally accepted the order but then changed their minds and refused to make the cake. If they felt so strongly, they should have said 'No' when the original request was made.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Oct-18 18:58:30

I'm not sure I support the bakers in their decision.

Grandma70s Wed 10-Oct-18 18:57:23

I don’t feel altogether comfortable with it. I certainly don’t think much of the bakers, and would avoid using them.

Riverwalk Wed 10-Oct-18 18:40:26

We discussed the original complaint four years ago (where does the time go?) and my thoughts have remained the same.

I agree with the Supreme Court.

Grandad1943 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:31:58

I also support gay marriage, but I also support the right of the bakers to refuse this request from the customer.

However, the ruling by the Supreme Court in that it was the message on the cake that the bakers were legally entitled to refuse rather than an outright offence under the equalities act does bring forward enormous questions regarding the broader implementation of the above act.

merlotgran Wed 10-Oct-18 18:22:24

Definitely the right decision.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:21:32

I agree with you.
If you uphold the rights of one persons view then you have to uphold those of the person who has a different opinion.

varian Wed 10-Oct-18 18:13:11

Although I support Gay marriage laws in Great Britain and would wish them to be extended to Northern Ireland, I think that the Supreme Court decision that the bakers were not discriminating against their customer, when they refused to bake a cake with a slogan supporting gay marriage, was the right decision.

They ruled that the customer was not being discriminated against and the bakers had the right to refuse to support a message which they opposed. I think that was the right decision.