Gransnet forums

News & politics

A Sussex baby?

(53 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 15-Oct-18 08:55:24

Have I nodded off and dreamed this?
I swear I saw one of those flashing headlines at the top of my iPad screen announcing that Meghan and Harry are expecting a baby in the Spring.
??confusedconfused

jura2 Mon 15-Oct-18 21:04:14

.. but you just could not help yourself, could you.

'go on someone- ask her ' - how rude and unpleasant is that.

And you can goad all you want, I won't mention the other B word, as the timing is probably not calculated - somehow!?!

merlotgran Mon 15-Oct-18 20:52:13

Er…..No, jura. I was already contributing to this thread.

hmm

jura2 Mon 15-Oct-18 20:44:45

Merlot - but I didn't, did I:

'jura must be patrolling the threads in the hope of finding anywhere, just anywhere to mention the B word'

a bit obsessive (sp?) on your part, I'd say. Are you patrolling threads to catch me out perhaps?

And yes, timing is uncanny. I wish them the very best.

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 20:09:58

Lock them in a cellar untill they are 18? Have they complained? And I disagree, Williams children are certaintly not paraded, he went through that when his mother paraded him and his brother for the press, phone calls to tip off where she would be with them.

paddyann Mon 15-Oct-18 19:08:08

Of course they are over privileged,if they're parents dont want any criticism of them or their children the easy answer is to keep out of the media .Why parade your kids in front of the worlds press and then complain people say things about their clothes etc ?

Chewbacca Mon 15-Oct-18 19:03:28

grin Merlot

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 18:20:09

Oh good.

lilypollen Mon 15-Oct-18 18:18:52

Of course they do! Can't keep them as they haven't a clue where they came from. Still at least someone benefits!

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 18:16:29

Coincidence the pregnancy is announced as they arrive in Australia ?

PECS Mon 15-Oct-18 18:14:09

Don't the royals pass on 'commoner' gifts to charitable causes? Official ones I know have to be kept.. saw lots in the British Museum once

GillT57 Mon 15-Oct-18 18:13:21

I wish them a healthy pregnancy and a healthy delivery and baby, as I would anybody else, but I am not looking forward to the 'expert opinions' and 'talking heads' on TV and in the Press generally.

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 17:57:08

If you get the notion to knit why not do it for a baby who NEEDS things not for one who will have everything handed to it on a silver platter?
I know I don't agree with you re the monarchy paddyann but I do agree with you there.
A friend of mine spent ages knitting a beautiful shawl for Prince George hmm
Lots of refugee children will be freezing cold this winter.

PECS Mon 15-Oct-18 17:37:46

Same annie as any other child facing harsh realities of which there are very many. I meant that they may be trained to manage media criticism..not life events.

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 17:18:02

PECS, no one can be trained to be prepared for all that life may throw at them. Were William and Harry trained so their parents marriage break up, their mothers mental health problems, her death . Was queenie trained not to be troubled by her childrens problems ? No, just trained not to display their unhappiness in public.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Oct-18 17:03:27

Great news well done to them I would think she may be a bit further on than we think, but good on her. She’s not a young mum so couldn’t really hang around too long
I think I saw the date as March 29th one of my grandkids birthday

PECS Mon 15-Oct-18 16:58:56

The new royal child will be loved and will likely have a lovely life. S/he will be protected and trained to manage any criticisms and have few worries. Other than great privilege it will be a baby like any other due in the spring.
One of DD1s friends is on tenterhooks hoping her pregnancy sustains..she has had several spontaneous abortions in the first few months. Her baby is due mid April. Hopefully this baby will be born. Just as important and valuable as a baby born to royal family members.
I think many people, me included, do not dislike the royal baby news, just the hype & gushing that often goes with it!

Smileless2012 Mon 15-Oct-18 16:47:34

Yes Annie and who will no doubt be criticised when s/he becomes an adult. Rather tarnishes the silver platter doesn't it.

Anniebach Mon 15-Oct-18 16:41:39

A baby who will have to be constantly protected from photographers . Whose clothes even when age 4 will be critcised. Whose schooling will be critcised, when older will read of critcism of his/her parents living off the country.

paddyann Mon 15-Oct-18 16:27:44

"WE" dont love royal babies.Love all babies that i KNOW but have no idea why people LOVE babies who aren't a part of their lives.I wish the mother a good pregnancy and a quick labour and delievry apart from that ,which I would wish any pregnant mum.I'm not interested in the least.
If you get the notion to knit why not do it for a baby who NEEDS things not for one who will have everything handed to it on a silver platter?

lilypollen Mon 15-Oct-18 16:21:58

It's a pity that the announcement wasn't made whilst they were here in Britain. I suppose last week it would have spoiled the countdown to Eugenie's nuptials and it has to be public knowledge in case she has to pull out of any engagement on the tour.

merlotgran Mon 15-Oct-18 16:03:35

jura must be patrolling the threads in the hope of finding anywhere, just anywhere to mention the B word.

And I don't mean Baby.

Go on, someone. Ask her what she means by timing.

On second thoughts.....

grin

Jane10 Mon 15-Oct-18 16:03:08

jura2 being left alone by the media would be the last thing that couple would want. Cynical? Moi?!

PECS Mon 15-Oct-18 15:56:52

Shock horror! Can't be true!

Gmere64 Mon 15-Oct-18 15:54:53

I love the fact that there is no 'due date' mentioned, just "in the spring" - like we hadn't guessed she was (probably) already pregnant when they announced the wedding! But wonderful news, nevertheless. We love Royal babies!

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 14:46:18

I wonder if she will be called 'Meegan' in Australia?