Gransnet forums

News & politics

Those heartbreaking pictures from Yemen

(8 Posts)
varian Wed 03-Mar-21 17:09:19

Unicef appeal for Yemen

www.unicef.org/emergencies/yemen-crisis

British Red Cross appeal for Yemen

donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/yemen-crisis-appeal?c_code=175151&c_source=google&c_name=Yemen%20Crisis%20Appeal&adg=red%20cross%20yemen&c_creative=brand&c_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhP2BBhDdARIsAJEzXlGCl8tb90mm3wD62l7LHNRaocKU1yWabHi03R85X0WS25bna047KZ8aAnc1EALw_wcB

MaizieD Wed 03-Mar-21 16:11:44

GillT57

I know this is an old thread, but the subject matter is very pertinent right now, with the recent announcement of cuts in aid to these poor souls. Maybe the fools who have enough spare money to donate to buy a sofa for the PM's mistress, would like to send it to the charities helping these people instead.

But the PM assured us at PM today that we give more in aid to Yemen than any other country, despite cutting it by 50%, apparently, and anyway, wasn't it rather unBritish to be worrying about starving children in Yemen when we have a covid crisis in the UK?

And no, we won't stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia for them to bomb Yemen with...

GillT57 Wed 03-Mar-21 12:37:48

I know this is an old thread, but the subject matter is very pertinent right now, with the recent announcement of cuts in aid to these poor souls. Maybe the fools who have enough spare money to donate to buy a sofa for the PM's mistress, would like to send it to the charities helping these people instead.

varian Wed 03-Mar-21 12:34:25

We’ve cut aid to Yemen and children will starve – is this what global Britain means?

www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/mar/02/weve-cut-aid-to-yemen-and-children-will-starve-is-this-what-global-britain-means

merlotgran Thu 01-Nov-18 12:19:26

If we must deal with the Saudis we should insist they stop blocking food imports and medical aid as part of the deal. It would be no good refusing to supply arms unless there is a wider embargo including USA and France.

Yemen is the poorest country in the middle east and as a caring nation we want to help but it's never a clear cut undertaking in war torn countries. Saudia Arabia has the excuse that it has Houthi rebels to deal with. There will always be warring factions because remove one and another rears its head. They don't care about innocent civilians caught in the cross fire.

Goodness knows how we are ever going to get through to those who hold power because they were fortunate to be born into an oil rich dynasty.

nigglynellie Thu 01-Nov-18 11:32:16

I remember Biafra and the shock and horror I felt on seeing those emaciated children and their despairing parents. I was in my twenties then, and now, in my seventies I feel exactly the same when seeing the emaciated children of the Yemen and their despairing parents. The world appears to have learnt nothing in fifty years, in fact I think its got worse, an awful sort of acceptance that this is how some countries behave and that we can do little or nothing about it until they fight themselves to a standstill - Just awful!

sodapop Thu 01-Nov-18 08:52:32

I saw them too Maw poor children have known nothing but deprivation in their short lives.
It seems to be a situation repeated in many places, what are we doing in the name of religion and greed.

MawBroon Wed 31-Oct-18 22:13:51

I simply had not realised the extent of the horror until I saw those pictures on tonight’s News at 10.
It reminded me of the pictures of starving mothers and their children in Biafra which we saw back in the late 1960’s /70’s.
As a mother, and a grandmother I now find myself thinking how easily but for an accident of birth , that could have been my children or my grandchildren.
Famine due to natural catastrophe is one thing, but as a direct result of war it is inexcusable.
It is unforgivable that we are still supplying arms and bombs to Saudi.
Man’s inhumanity to man leaves me in despair.