Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should the police prioritise burglary over misogyny?

(15 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 01-Nov-18 13:07:24

news.sky.com/story/senior-police-officer-investigate-burglaries-and-violent-crime-not-misogyny-11541512
Well I would say they should.
Burglary, often “aggravated “ involving weapons and violence seems to be on the increase. Street crime, knife crime, mugging, “scooter crime” often to obtain drugs likewise.
I know which worries me more.
There’s hate crime and there’s hate crime isn’t there? I am still not convinced that misogyny and misandry and, for instance racism or anti-Semitism entirely belong in the same category.

Squiffy Thu 01-Nov-18 13:11:04

Well, speaking as someone who confronted burglars in my own home, I know which I'd prioritise!

EllanVannin Thu 01-Nov-18 13:43:27

Is this another push from the " womens rights " brigade ?
There's no comparison between being confronted by a burglar in your own home along with the type of weapon he could be carrying against a hate crime.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 13:48:00

I think it's the opposite of that Ellanvannin. A high up police officer has pointed out that the police just do not have the resources to deal with everyday crime as well as the things like wolf whistling, and chasing long dead suspects of abuse. Which should get the resources?

Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 13:49:27

It's a difficult one. Low level hate crime can lead to so much more.

eazybee Thu 01-Nov-18 13:55:32

Yes.

stree Thu 01-Nov-18 14:14:37

Gonegirl.
Give an example of a low level hate crime that has gone on to a greater crime.

sodapop Thu 01-Nov-18 14:42:08

The greater crimes are already at dangerous levels and need to be dealt with. We don't need to be affording misogyny etc the status of hate crimes.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 14:59:50

Stree, I suppose I was thinking, if you let people get away with, say, racist or homophobic name calling, they could then go on to acts of violence.

Baggs Thu 01-Nov-18 15:02:56

That's a slippery slope argument, gonegirl, which is fallacious.

Ilovecheese Thu 01-Nov-18 15:15:33

Didn't someone drive a car into people outside a mosque.
That could be an example of how tolerating low level racist behaviour can lead people to believing they are entitled to go further.

In the main though, I agree that violent burglary should be prioritised.

Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 15:23:53

I just think it's very important to stamp out all racial/sexual etc hatred from the grass roots up. Innocent people could be put at risk otherwise.

Baggs Thu 01-Nov-18 15:53:26

I agree with your last post, gonegirl, although I don't think "stamp out" is quite the best non-violent way to put it.

I think most of what is called misogyny is not hate but teasing, often very stupid teasing, and it should be treated with the contempt it deserves. I don't think it deserves police attention.

Baggs Thu 01-Nov-18 15:55:56

Actual violence against other people is already criminal and, therefore, within the remit of the police.

TerriBull Thu 01-Nov-18 15:56:52

I believe it has been made an offence for men to whistle at girls in the street in France, which imo is a step too far. I do remember how bloody annoyed this made me in my younger days. However, I think one can recover from an annoyance without putting legislation in place. However, I'm not wishing to conflate this sort of idiocy with real crimes against women, such as the on going grooming of girls (mainly) and children which certainly had elements of racial and sexual criminality. Not to mention the new phenomenon of the very evil "county lines" Gangs who operate in these ways need the full force of the law brought down upon them, they prey on the young and vulnerable and dealing with this type of crime should take presidence over hurt feelings.

I can only imagine how frightening it must be to confront a burglar in your home, particularly if they are armed with a knife. I was very glad charges were dropped against the pensioner who whilst defending himself, stabbed his assailant.